Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ozzie Tabs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moonsadhu
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  7:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am looking for tabs of Ozzie K. pieces: Mahinahina (Pale Moonlight) and also the piece respect, which is the last piece on the Respect album.

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2009 :  11:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Jim,

I'm not familiar with "Mahinahina" and have no leads as to where you could acquire tabs for this piece or even if tabs exist. As for "Ho'ihi" (Respect)the title track of Ozzie's new CD there are no tablature.Ozzie totally improvised that recording in one take. At that recording session he tried another take and it did not come out as good. He told me if he wanted to play it again exactly as it's recorded,he would literally have to learn it.All I can offer you is a helpful tip that it is played in C6th Maunaloa tuning which is C-G-E-G-A-E. it's only the second song Ozzie ever composed in this tuning, the other being "Ku'u Kika Kahiko"

Aloha
Duke

Hoof Hearted?...Was it you Stu Pedaso?
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  09:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke,
Mahinahina is track # 14 on the Kani Ki ho'alu album.

Jimmy,
Ozzie, if he has handwritten tablature for that song, may make it available to you (if you ask). But he has been getting so many requests, he may have tired of responding.

I don't know of any tab for Mahinahina and would have to look at the liner notes for the tuning -- very pretty song though.

Ditto what Duke said on Ho'ihi.

If you get Peter Medeiros' Methodolgy book, there is a complete section that will help you understand the forms and figures for C Maunaloa Tuning. With that information, and careful listening, you will notice that he uses the two finger chords on strings 1 and 2 with an alternating bass pattern and turnarounds. You can create your own improvisation that would fit along nicely with Ozzie's recording.

For help on how to play Ku'u Kika Kahiko (in C Maunaloa) watch Uncle Duke's video on youtube. He plays it just so .. . nahenahe!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Edited by - Mika ele on 11/19/2009 09:46:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

APT
Aloha

34 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  1:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not exactly sure what nahenahe means, but Duke sure plays this effortlessly! Not an expression on his face! He must be a good poker player.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2009 :  2:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nah, that's all botox. But they didn't do his fingers.

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2009 :  07:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I recall correctly, Ozzie said that Mahinahina was improvised by him in the studio, and there is no "full" tab. I think at his workshops he did have a "simple" tab he created later, but which takes a good deal of embellishment on the part of the individual player to even think of approaching a result like his inspired recorded version.
Beautiful song. "That one is deep," was Ozzieʻs comment.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000