Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Gabby dis'n dat...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  08:30:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, too many questions...but
Peter's book sent me back to my Best of Gabby Vol. 1
The wealth in his new book is immense. Some great, thorough info on Gabby, his C tunings, taropatch, D tunings, songs and more...
His info, music and tab on Gabby's style is absolutely great...and really helps take a great deal of the mystery out of those recordings...

But also triggered a thousand questions that Taropatchers may have better knowledge on...
The first ridiculous question is what brand/models of acoustic guitars did he probably record with?
I still get the H.S mind of "What kind of string do you use" when I should be operating on a higher level when I get around one of my heros!
While it may not be as expensive as some of our spoiled brat, designer models...it sounds sweet, and the effect is perfect...

Also, as I started re-exploring Gabby's recordings, got interested and hooked again on a couple of the tunes in (I assume) Gabby's F--
F,C,E, G, C. E....
which, except for the lowest 2 strings has the same upper voicing patterns as Open C...and THAT IS covered in Peter's book, as well in Some of Cyril's camp handouts over the last couple years.
So hopefully I won't have to reinvent the wheel...just

for instance, "Kona Kai Opua", and a couple other tunes here sound to be in Gabby's F. some info from Keola's book, G Winston's tunings site...no liner notes on these re-issued recordings...it's before the dancing cat world of sharing kicked in!
Also, Dave Guard's interview does not give any useful info, but is sorta fun to sift through and picture!

I haven't seen much printed tab or info around in this tuning yet, and being in my "Mr. Chicken-shoes" sometimes when trying new things...I need to explore WITH THE GUITAR in the tuning...find pairs, shapes, and pair with the roots and bass lines...but the upper stuff should parallel C tuning, just add Bb's.

When I do finally go ahead and setup a guitar into this tuning, I'm definetely inclined to change my gauges for raised Bass strings, ...especially the raised "C" on the A string!
"Kona Kai Opua" is such a tasteful exchange of HSG and acoustic guitar, alternating with solos and tasteful backup...can't leave it, that's until I hear the next cut!
And I love the "outer space" sound of the HSG...tube amps, copper windings, and a little stardust perhaps.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 11/22/2009 10:19:41 AM

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2009 :  2:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read somewhere that Gabby's favorite guitar was a Martin 12 string. I don't recal where I read that, or if it said what model. It may have been in the liner notes to Cyril's "6 & 12 String Slack Key" album. But what Gabby recorded with, and what he prefered to play could be different instruments. Some instruments record better than others, just as some mic''s seem to be better for capturing guitars or vocals. I have read of instances where a musician borrowed a guitar in a studio because his fave didn't give him what he wanted on the playback.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2009 :  2:39:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

I've read somewhere that Gabby's favorite guitar was a Martin 12 string. I don't recal where I read that, or if it said what model. It may have been in the liner notes to Cyril's "6 & 12 String Slack Key" album. But what Gabby recorded with, and what he prefered to play could be different instruments. Some instruments record better than others, just as some mic''s seem to be better for capturing guitars or vocals. I have read of instances where a musician borrowed a guitar in a studio because his fave didn't give him what he wanted on the playback.
Unko Paul

Remember, Gabby started playing out around 1940, so ther waasn't the huge choice we have now. Most pictures I've seen show him holding a Martin 6 string of some sort. They were the standard at the time. Later - ?? Shoulda asked Cyril when I saw him last weekend.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2009 :  12:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
change must come from HSG. and maybe MSG...
actually just trying to edit an update more related to HSG, and move this add-on to HSG category!
Sorry Andy, Happy Thanksgiving. And Thanks for Taropatch.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 11/24/2009 12:19:30 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000