Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Teacher Recommendation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  4:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howdy, Fellow 'Patchers!
My niece lives in the S.F. Bay Area (Marin County) and may be looking for a patient guitar teacher. She is primarily interested in acoustic, singer/songwriter type stuff; however, I did manage to persuade her to go see Led & Mike a couple of years ago, so there's hope that she may see the light and try playing some slack key. By the way, that was the first time that she had heard or seen anyone playing slack key! Talk about a welcoming committee!

If anyone can recommend a good teacher in the San Raphael/Mill Valley area, I would be most appreciative.

Mahalo,
Ben Sterling (Froppe)
Getting cold in Austin, Texas

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  8:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha, Ben-

Don't know anyone in Marin, but your niece might look at the Freight and Salvage in Berkeley (about 30 to 45 min. drive from San Rafael, depending on time of day).
They offer classes in many styles of music, including slack key guitar lessons with our fellow Taropatcher Patrick Landeza.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  07:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Donley Smith lives in Marin and is a wonderful player and teacher.

http://donleysmith.com/Welcome.html

Don't let the picture of the banjo scare you.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  09:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check in with Eric Schoenberg http://www.om28.com - he'll have a line on excellent acoustic guitar instruction.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

donley
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2009 :  3:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit donley's Homepage  Send donley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha Ben

If she is interested in ki ho'alu, please feel free to send her my way. (donleysmith @ mac.com). If she is interested in general guitar teaching, there is a very very good teacher at Amazing Grace Music in San Anselmo 111 Redhill, 456 0414. And Mark, thanks for the recommendation.
Go to Top of Page

FROPPE
Akahai

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  10:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo to everyone for your input! I'll pass the info along.
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  11:36:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Ben,
Acoustic Guitar Magazine, which is based in San Rafael (or somewhere nearby) has just started a guitar school in San Anselmo that has introductory courses such as "is the guitar right for you" as well as an impressive teaching staff. You might have her check it out at http://www.acguitar.com/music_school/.
I have no affiliation with the school or AG magazine--just a subscriber, but it is right in the neighborhood for your niece.
Aloha,
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  12:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
And Mark, thanks for the recommendation.

It's sincere.

Now slo-o-o-w-ly put down the banjo so no one gets hurt.....

Hey, I think we should do a poll of banjo players on taropatch. Let's see, there's you, Paul, Slip, Larry....

Must be something about the tuning....
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  2:59:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I own a banjar and can do a forward roll and a backward roll. Now I usually just go for coffee and a roll.
Go to Top of Page

cwilson
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  12:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second Mark's recommendation.
I am currently taking lessons from Donley and he is a great teacher
and knows the aloha of ki ho'alu.
Clay
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  5:17:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several folks on The Banjo Hangout listen to or dabble in Hawaiian music as well. The more you listen, the more you find.
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

donley
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  06:39:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit donley's Homepage  Send donley a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Mahalo Clay.

I think serious ki hoalu is sort of a penance for a lifetime of banjo playing, dont ya tink
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  1:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We don't play banjo, we commit banjo. As in, "Oh, no! You're not going to commit banjo again, are you?"
Unko Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000