Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Honolulu Magazine Greatest 50 Albums revisited
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  08:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I stumbled upon this list while "Googling" today. It's from 2004. Thought you might enjoy taking a look.

The 50 Greatest Hawai'i Albums of All Time

Part I
Part II

Andy

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  11:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty good list.

I have about half of the listed releases. It would be nice to pick up the rest sometime (either in vinyl or CD reissue).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  1:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed looking at the list again. I think there is probably a whole musical era on 78 rpm records that haven't been comprehensively re-issued and therefore don't have the same universal impact on the musical genre as the modern record album does, but are still historically important to Hawaiian music.
I'm curious if there are any albums from the last five years that deserve to be in this group of albums.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  05:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

I'm curious if there are any albums from the last five years that deserve to be in this group of albums.
Jesse

I'm inclined to say "no" with one notable exception: "`ikena" by Daniel Ho and Tia Carrere. Listen carefully to this album and you will discover that it did for Hawaiian music what "Guava Jam" and "Kawaipunahele" before it did -- advanced the art form (and the tradition) by lightyears instead of baby steps. This is in part due to Dr. Stillman's unique approach to poetry (there has really been nothing like it before) and Daniel's approach to melody and harmony.

I think that "He nani" is better than "`ikena" much the same way that I think that "Sunday Manoa 3" is better than "Guava Jam." But if I had to choose one album to go in the 50 best, it would have to be the one that started it all.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2009 :  3:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that there are no albums devoted to chant on the list. How about adding something by Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu such as "Call it What You Like". Ooops, it's been six years since it was released.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 12/15/2009 3:07:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  12:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

I'm inclined to say "no" with one notable exception: "`ikena" by Daniel Ho and Tia Carrere. Listen carefully to this album and you will discover that it did for Hawaiian music what "Guava Jam" and "Kawaipunahele" before it did -- advanced the art form (and the tradition) by lightyears instead of baby steps. This is in part due to Dr. Stillman's unique approach to poetry (there has really been nothing like it before) and Daniel's approach to melody and harmony.

I think that "He nani" is better than "`ikena" much the same way that I think that "Sunday Manoa 3" is better than "Guava Jam." But if I had to choose one album to go in the 50 best, it would have to be the one that started it all.
You may want to check out the new songbook Daniel Ho is just issuing - all the songs he and Amy composed for those two albums, along with background details on their composition and insight into why they did these albums. Oh, plus of course, the music for all the songs (so the rest of us can learn 'em). http://www.danielho.com/html/naikena.html
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2009 :  7:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There are some others I would have added but I have half of those albums.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000