Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Buy EarMaster ear training software?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  09:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,

I am a newbie with mediocre pitch perception contemplating paying for my trial version of EarMaster ear training software, and I don't know if it is worth it for me. Trial versions of the software are available from Downloads.com: (http://download.cnet.com/EarMaster-Pro/3000-2133_4-10012043.html?tag=mncol). I have used the trial version for three weeks, and it seems as though my improvement is plateauing out. I don't know whether to endeavor to persevere, or to accept that I will be able to differentiate between major and minor 2nds only some of the time.

Is ear training like studying math where things go fairly well until you hit a subject that befuddles you, and has you praying for a "C" so you can get on with your life? Or is it like snuggles where there is always room for improvement?

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2009 :  2:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I have had ear (hearing) damage since I was a boy, made worse by years in the engineering holds of ships and as the gun mount officer. So my ability to distinguish pitch is somewhat diminished. If helped along by someone, I can sing in pitch and I can usually tune my ukuleles and guitars in pitch using the electronic tuning gizmos to justify what I perceive with my ears. Yet I cannot sing a perfect A (440 Hz) from memory. Does this hinder my ability to enjoy playing or learning to play better? I don't think so.

My experience with the ear training software led me to believe it would be very important for someone who plays an instrument without frets -- say, a violin or fretless bass; or a more importantly a vocalist.

Yet, I find, that it is important to recognize when your strings have stretched and your instrument is no longer in tune; when your fingers are fretting the wrong notes and a discordant sound erupts from the sound hole. This can't be taught by the software. It comes from playing the instrument and listening carefully -- and critically.

An important skill to acquire to help you enjoy your instrument -- or shall I say, the playing of your instrument -- is surely the ability to detect tuning errors and discordance. Even more so, though, is the ability to listen to a group of people singing and playing and then to join in; in the process actually enhancing the music. I'm not sure ear training software helps in either case.

As a hearing impaired, retired, naval officer, mine -- may not be the best counsel in this regard.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  08:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi -

Ear training is really no different from learning to improve any other sensory discrimination task. The more you practice, the better you will get. Yes, there are plateaus... that is a natural part of learning.

For example, have you ever heard some one wax poetic about the "hints of bramble-berries, chocolate and leather" in a glass of wine that, to you, tasted just like any other glass of wine??? Since I live in a valley with a number of wineries, I used to wonder about this... were these wine snobs just making stuff up to impress their friends?... until I took part in some tasting classes and learned that the various chemicals in the wine do indeed produce those kinds of smells... once you learn to recognize them.

My point? Learning to hear intervals is a learned skill (not innate... so called "perfect pitch" is something else altogether.) Hearing minor & major seconds is hard, depending on the context. But I'd bet you'll be able to tell major and minor chords pretty quickly... and that's a good start.

As with anything else, don't turn this into a situation where you teach yourself to fail. There is no "right" way to approach ear training... you don't "get it" after a few practice sessions. Rather you keep going back to it every so often... for the rest of your life.

That is the way music works... there is never a point at which you can say "oh, I now know how to play everything I want to." Nope, you never stop learning.

quote:
Yet I cannot sing a perfect A (440 Hz) from memory. Does this hinder my ability to enjoy playing or learning to play better? I don't think so.

I have always had trouble with the whole idea of "perfect pitch." I know many people have it (about 2/3s of Chinese nationals, if I recall correctly... it's a pitch-based language, after all)

But "perfect pitch" relative to what??? A 440 is only one common tuning and it is culturally driven. It is a relatively modern development of European orchestras-- Baroque tuning was much lower, and many contemporary orchestras now use use A 442 or even A444.

Folk musical instruments use all kinds of pitches for A; I play with a guy who regularly brings accordions boxes tuned A 438, A 440, and A 442. (Yes, it is a pain in the okole.)

So, if you suffered from perfect pitch at A 440, a goodly proportion of western music would sound horribly out of tune!

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  10:11:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgot that you'd asked about the specific software, Earmaster Pro.

Here's the website:http://www.earmaster.com/" target="_blank"> http://www.earmaster.com/

I downloaded the lite version, Earmaster Essentials. It is quite good, particularly the interval & chord recognition bits. It has some basic sight reading rhythm exercises. I'd say it would be a good investment for you... and anyone else wishing to improve their playing.

I really like the fact that you can use open tuned guitar as one teaching aid: after you listen to the intervals, say, they are shown on the fretboard. That could be very useful.

I may buy the version you have, Earmaster Pro... nothing like a little wood shedding to hone one's chops, eh?

Will it speed up your learning? It can't hurt if you use it as an adjunct to you other practice and don't get hung up on "mastering" it. It is not so important that you can correctly identify & name specific intervals as it is that you can hear that they are different ("Which one is bigger?"), and, ultimately, that you can "hear" a melody and play it.

The best way to learn that skill is to try picking out very simple melodies--Brother John, Silent Night, stuff you really know by heart--first on one string, later across the strings. Pick any random spot as your starting note and try to find the whole melody.

Take it slow.. find the first two notes, then try to find the next one. Then put those three together, before you move on. if you can hum the tune, you will be able to find it on your instrument.

Here's a great website dedicate to playing ukulele by ear:
http://playukulelebyear.blogspot.com/

I did their Three Questions" spot a while back.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Haolenuke
Lokahi

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  4:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,
Thank you gentlemen for your advice. The EarMaster Essentials is probably more attuned to my potential, and budget, than EarMaster Pro. I am good at detecting when I pluck the wrong note and fair at detecting when my ukulele is out of tune. It will be some time before I'm comfortable playing music with others, particularly as all the other players I know want to do is sing and strum chords, and all I want to do is play slack key.

My dad grew up during WWII wanting to become a Naval gunner, but ended up a government lawyer. I always wanted to join the Merchant Marine, but feared that the sea sickness I experienced salmon fishing might not wear off with time. The prospect of both looking like and suffering like England's Prince Charles seemed too daunting. Mike, thank you for your service, and I'm sorry it took a tole on your hearing.

Mark it wasn't, claims of "hints of bramble-berries, chocolate and leather" in the wine that once set me off, but the descriptor, "buttery." I've had some fine glasses of wine over the years and have yet to detect anything approaching, "buttery." Perhaps I need some Orville Redenbacher Merlot. I'll be attempting pick out some melodies that I know and I'm looking through the website that you recommended.

Thank you both again.

Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2009 :  1:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
You cracked me up . . . Orville reddenbacher Merlot . . . ;-)

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000