Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 George Winston's 7-string guitar?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2009 :  8:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just now watched an episode of Na Mele that I recorded on the DVR last week. The original show aired in 2001, apparently.
George was playing a 7-string guitar, with the seventh string completely off the neck, below the low E. Regular body; fairly short neck; no cutout. Tuning peg for the seventh string was at the tip of the guitar's head. They never showed enough of a closeup to see the brand name. Anybody know anything about that guitar?
In the closing credits one of the thanks was to "UH Ethnomusicology Instrument Collection." I suppose I should call Jay Junker, but thought I'd check here first.
T'anks, eh.

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  12:53:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the Google links were relatively useless, but I did find this:

From http://www.massresonator.com/2009/11/take-5-interview-talking-guitars-with-george-winston/ , an interview with George Winston last month:

3. You play an unusual Martin D-35 - can you tell us about that and why you had it modified as you have?

GEORGE: I play almost everything in Open G Major (C)-D-G-D-G-B-D from lowest pitched string to the highest and I had a low pitched 7th string added to the guitar which I tune to a low C note, and very occasionally to the A below that. This actually combines two Hawaiian Slack Key tunings, the Open G mentioned above and a C tuning (C­-G-­D-­G-­B­-D).

That was about it for George's own guitar, which is what I was curious about, mostly because the 7th string is compeltely off the neck and therefore has to be used strictly for whatever note it's tuned to.
However, there's some interesting information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-string_guitar too.

I have rather large hands/long fingers, so I always look for guitars and basses with extra-wide necks. My nylon-string Ibanez acoustic guitar (bought in the 1960s!) is a flamenco model, which always have wider necks. I looked for years before I found my 12-string acoustic with a wider neck. And I'd dearly love to play a mandolin, but they seem to come in only one neck width and my hands are just too big, dammit. (Octave-and-a-half reach on a standard piano.)
My basses are 5-string, both fretted and fretless models. I searched for years to find the 5-string fretless; finally bought a 4-string, and then a month later found the 5-string! I'd probably sell the 4-string if anyone is interested. I've played 6-string basses on occasion -- dayum, those necks are wide[/I]!
Anyway, I'll be interested in trying a 7-string guitar sometime...
Go to Top of Page

Earl
`Olu`olu

USA
521 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2009 :  1:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Earl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too like wide necks. I don't even like to play Martins anymore with their narrow 1-11/16" neck width. 1-3/4" is about as narrow as I want anymore, and 1-7/8" feels best. I took a Seagull twelve string and made a new six-string nut and saddle for it. That worked pretty well, but was maybe a bit too wide. It was hard to do the "thumb over" technique on the bass strings.

I too would like to play mandolin, and even have an old cheapie laying around. But I find the tiny little neck and the short scale to be an issue for my fat fingers. I considered getting an octave mandolin, but the neck width is not much better. I've even thought about getting a mando kit and carving a new wide neck, instead of using the one that it comes with. One of the best mandolin players around (Radim Zenkl) has several custom made mandolins with extra wide necks, to accomodate his big fingers. They are a joy to play.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  08:50:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Earl

I too like wide necks. I don't even like to play Martins anymore with their narrow 1-11/16" neck width. 1-3/4" is about as narrow as I want anymore, and 1-7/8" feels best. I took a Seagull twelve string and made a new six-string nut and saddle for it. That worked pretty well, but was maybe a bit too wide. It was hard to do the "thumb over" technique on the bass strings....

If you're still interested in the Martin sound it might interest you to know that they've returned to the 1 3/4" nut width for their finest models. This started with the OM-18V, a classic now out of production, but has been carried on to the GE and Marquis series. Many of their OM sized guitars up and down the price range also have the 1 3/4 nut and 2 1/4 or wider bridge spacing.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  09:04:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LikaNui

I just now watched an episode of Na Mele that I recorded on the DVR last week. The original show aired in 2001, apparently.
George was playing a 7-string guitar, with the seventh string completely off the neck, below the low E. Regular body; fairly short neck; no cutout. Tuning peg for the seventh string was at the tip of the guitar's head. They never showed enough of a closeup to see the brand name. Anybody know anything about that guitar?
In the closing credits one of the thanks was to "UH Ethnomusicology Instrument Collection." I suppose I should call Jay Junker, but thought I'd check here first.
T'anks, eh.

The unfrettable add-on string is often referred to as a "harp" string and guitars with multiple harp strings have been built since the early 20th century, they're called harp guitars.

Here's one built by my buddy Kathy Wingert:

There is a small but active group of harp guitar collectors and players out there, led by Stephen Bennett and Greg Miner.

http://harpguitar.com/home.html
http://www.harpguitars.net/year/mmm.htm
http://www.harpguitars.net/index.htm

And for a final bit of harp guitar trivia, my old faves, Kalama's Quartet have a harp guitar in the photo used for a reissue of their material.

I have been told by Greg Miner that it was common for vaudeville acts like Kalama's Quartet to use harp guitars just for their visual impact, because the sound from the bass strings was so faint that it could never be heard in those pre-amplification days.

There are also 7 string guitars with a fretted extra low string, even some with extra high strings. As I recall, Keola Beamer was inspired by George Winston's modified D-35 and had Ervin Somogyi build him a 7 string guitar with a fretted low string. And I also recall that Keola didn't bond with the new guitar and someone else uses it now.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 12/29/2009 09:06:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  09:26:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
There are also 7 string guitars with a fretted extra low string
It is my understanding that 7 string guitars with an extra-low string added to a wider fingerboard are quite common in Brazillian music. Indeed, there have been several Brazillian bands come through our town with these seven string guitars. I even thought of ordering one at some point but I don't even play the six strings well enough yet!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/29/2009 09:27:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  09:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all.
And FYI, there's a seven-string guitar website at http://www.sevenstring.org/ .
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  2:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The seven string guitar, tuned to a variant of taropatch, is an integral part of Russian classical music. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_guitar

And in the US, the 7 string was pioneered for jazz and chord melody by George Van Eps.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  10:28:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Keawe has a custom 8 string guitar with Keith tuners. Pretty cool idea, instant key change and a nice array of low note possibilities.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000