Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Kindle 2
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  1:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK -- Santa brought me an Amazon Kindle 2 (e-reader). It is awesome. Is anyone using a kindle for mele and tab? I would love to download the He Mele Aloha blue book and not have to lug it around. I searched taro patch for kindle and didn't find anything. Amazon provides fee conversion from .pdf to their format so I could scan in some mele, but wondering if anyone has tried this.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn

Cynthia
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  06:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don and I are big Kindle fans. We each have a Kindle 2, and Don has the bigger model (DX) as well. I have tried putting a couple of pdf files on my Kindle 2 and found them too small to read. And the font can't be enlarged the way the fonts of regular books can. However, Don has scanned a piece of music, saved it as a pdf and put it on his Kindle DX and it is readable, but not overly so. Too bad. I just got Ozzie's new DVD with the tabs in PDF and would love to use them on the Kindle. Maybe someone else has had better luck.

Cynthia in NoVa
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  4:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you use the free conversion service to get the .pdf converted to the Kindle internal format? Perhaps that would allow you to zoom in.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  2:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received a B&N Nook for Christmas. In my learning process, I have scanned in some tablature from hard copies and converted to Adobe PDF. I have also created PDF files of tablature from Sibelius G7 that I created from scratch. In either case there is a conversion that needs to be made to standard PDF files to the Kindle and Nook conventions of [epub] and or [pdb] files. There is a nifty FREE FREE FREE (open source) program called "calibre" that can be downloaded from the Calibre Web Site. http://calibre-ebook.com/

The conversion works OK except that each page of the tablature has to be an individual PDF file or not all the pages come across cleanly. The font can be changed slightly to magnify the tablature image but it is not THAT BIG.

The nice thing about the Nook (may also be true for many other eBook devices) is that I can download an mp3 audio file to the Nook as well. That way I can listen to an audio example of the music and follow along in the tablature on the same device at the same time -- a handy compact learning tool.

However, the Nook is still only the size of a nice paperback book and viewing from a distance (like on a music stand) can put a real strain on the eyes.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.

Edited by - Mika ele on 01/06/2010 2:34:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000