Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Dennis Kamakahi...right hand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  07:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've watched at camp...still make it too much work...
there is a light, nice and easy bass/strum ....but clean and there...

if you try to do it with PIMA approach, it really doesn't happen so good!

I know Dennis uses his longer thumb and index nails most...and these seem to be the anchor of his bass, strum and also most melodic movements...maybe some middle finger with index on strums...
without even the nails, it takes awhile to get it goin'...but once I RELAX,

Does the middle or other fingers come into the strums?
Is there some closer-up You-Tube shots?
Some good visuals are nice when trying to see what I'm hearing!

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  10:51:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Like my good friend Ledward always says, "Jus Press"....lol. I have never broken down my strumming technique mainly because it's like golf, the more you think about your swing, the worse it gets.

All I know is one must first study rhythm intensely. I was fortunate to be mentored by Eddie Kamae during my younger days with the Sons. After I joined the Sons, Eddie concentrated on the rhythm aspect of the music which gave me a chance to see firsthand his strumming technique. Each individual has his own unique approach to a strum. I've always used my thumb and forefinger because I use to use thumb and finger picks when I played with the Sons. Now I just use my fingers and nails. But there is no difference to the approach of the strum. Sometimes I use all my fingers.

Aloha,
Tutu Dennis
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  07:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where else but Taropatch?
Answers from the source!

I'll keep strummin'...and checkin' those you tube videos from time to time, since after 50 years I finally figured out a I'm a visual learner.

Thanks for all the great shade tree sessions and stories at George's...
and if you get to the coast, I'll try to get away.
OR, if you need to cool your fingers, try Colorado someday...although not sure that's a good tour...but if you do, you should contact Nick Forester at E-town radio show (out of Boulder).

Health, Happiness and Blessings
Kapila
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000