Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Makana Video Interview
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  02:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://makanamusic.com/blog/?cat=9

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  10:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was cool. Im gonna need to change my username LOL, Im reminded he used to go by the nickname Kihoalukid when he was a youngster. I wasnt aware of that when i registered, in my case it was more akin to the Slack Key neophyte, ala Karate Kid.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  11:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great pic of Makana playing in the surf. I'd recognize him anywhere

Bob
Go to Top of Page

PearlCityBoy
Lokahi

USA
432 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2010 :  3:25:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Wax on, wax off" . . . "Hammer on, pull off"--same thing. Wait a minute, that can't be Makana, the kid's wearing a shirt!
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  05:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PearlCityBoy

Wait a minute, that can't be Makana, the kid's wearing a shirt!

LOL you're right!

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  12:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PearlCityBoy

"Wax on, wax off" . . . "Hammer on, pull off"--same thing. Wait a minute, that can't be Makana, the kid's wearing a shirt!

LOL!

Well, since kihoalukid brought Ralph Macchio up, anyone remember this? I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8_yx1_uGS4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSJv_apyIR4 (the duel)

Andy
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2010 :  12:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed both those movies

Lee
Go to Top of Page

tafkam1
Lokahi

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  05:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit tafkam1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
an article that came out a little while ago:

Hawaiian musician Makana cuts tradition some slack
Long Beach Press-Telegram (CA) - Thursday, May 1, 2008
Author/Byline: Greg Mellen, Staff Writer
To Hawaiian musician and slack key guitar maestro Makana there are many ways to honor tradition. And one is to turn it inside out, shake it around a bit and see what comes out.
So, while Makana can leave slack key aficionados slack-jawed with his virtuosity, as he did in the first Southern California Slack Key Guitar Festival in Redondo Beach earlier this year, that's not all he's about.
Instead, slack key and Hawaiian music tradition form a kind of life spirit to a diverse and continually evolving body of work for the eclectic musician.
Slack key, or ki ho'alu, refers literally to the loosening of the keys or strings, which are then tuned in a variety of ways to create a uniquely Hawaiian sound. It is noted for having a complex sound, as musicians simultaneously strum bass lines and finger-pick the melody.
As one of the foremost and few young keepers of the slack key traditions, Makana says he's always seeking to expand his artistic expression.
So, while Makana says slack key will always be his passion and the heart of his music, "it's just my launching pad."
Makana will be bringing his slack key traditions and his own innovations, slack rock as he calls it, to the mainland in May. His 11-stop West Coast tour kicks off at 10 tonight at the Temple Bar in Santa Monica.
In his newly released and aptly named album, "Different Game," Makana strays far from the traditional slack key soil.
"This album was not culturally constrained," Makana says of "Different Game," which has a folk-rock feel reminiscent of a young Jackson Browne.
Fans expecting to hear Hawaiian standards may be disappointed, though Makana says those who know his music know always to expect something unexpected.
"It's predictable that my albums will be completely different," Makana says.
Independently produced, "Different Game" is Makana 's fourth album and first since 2003. For all its departure from traditional slack key, the album still maintains an island vibe and Makana says he used about 50 different slack tunings in the recording.
One of the most poignant songs on the record, "Mars Declares," tells the story of a soldier killing an unarmed boy in Iraq. Makana said he wrote the song in 2003 when the Iraq war began. Several years later, as he was preparing to put the song on the album, he read a soldier's blog that mirrored his song.
About his live shows, Makana says he never knows where the music will take him - from "monster ripping guitar" to sweetly sung ballads.
At the Redondo Beach show, his stage personality and energy electrified the crowd and garnered the largest ovations in a show that featured an all-star rotation of slack key masters.
Somewhere in every show, he does a segment that can best be described as deconstructing slack key. In it he breaks down for the audience in a lighthearted way just how the music of slack key and the sound work, usually capping it with an amazing set of riffs.
Another Hawaiian tradition Makana adheres to is the concept of "talking story." With the music's roots on back porches, Hawaiian musicians are known to break up sets with stories about themselves and the islands.
"I let people into my head," Makana says, describing his relationship with audiences.
Makana , who was born Matt Swalinkavich and early in his career was known as the Ki Ho'Alu Kid, has played professionally since 1993. He has opened for such varied performers as Sting, Carlos Santana and Elvis Costello.
In 2000, his first album, " Makana ," was voted "Best CD" by the readers of Honolulu Weekly and won Best World Music Album at the Hawaii Music Awards.
And though his influences run from Pink Floyd to Led Zeppelin to Hawaiian masters, Makana is his own artist with his own vision.
"In the beginning I made big sacrifices," Makana says. "I was told, 'If you want to be happy, build a long path.' "
For Makana , that means constantly reshaping and morphing his skills and musical stylings, while always remaining true to the well from which the music comes.
"Tradition has to be treated like a living art form," Makana says. "The moment it's treated like a relic, it's already dead."
Greg Mellen (562) 499-1291 greg.mellen @ presstelegram.com

Mitch Chang
http://www.kalakoa.com/
http://www.ukulelewebsite.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000