Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 String Reviews
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  4:50:39 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to start a specific thread on strings, coated, uncoated, nylon etc. and would like to hear more feedback on what everyone is using and what your experiences were with different brands.

I had originally started with Ernie Ball Earthwoods. They were full sounding but a little too much base for my taste but they did seem to last a while adn are inexpensive.

I tried some DR strings and they sounded good but kind of loud, almost too bright(they had a funny ring/twang to them). They sounded better after a week, but when they started going, they went real fast. They lasted about a month playing about 3-5 hours a week. I do not think I would purchase them again.

I just installed some John Pearse strings and out of the package they sound amazing. They have a very rich sound and did not have that annoying ring to them. They were the regular phosphor bronze and not the Slack Key set up that has been mentioned by some. Anyone who has tried the Slack Key version I would like to know what you think since I might order some to try.

Chris

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  3:06:05 PM  Show Profile
Chris,

Sarah and I use Pearse 600L PB lights nearly exclusively. In addition to the qualities you mentioned, they last a very long time without getting dull sounding. But, different guitars like different strings. In one case, Sarah uses a medium Pearse 1st string and it takes away a certain harshness ( sometimes called "wolf tone"). On a few others we use GHS PB light trebles and JP PB Light wound strings in order to get "fatter" trebles than the standard JP set gives. We have tried JP 800 Slack Key ( a mix of light and medium) and found no advantage *on our guitars and the way we play*.

In testing, we have tried something like a dozen brands and gauges and have wound up as described above. In general, our guitars are very sensitive, sweet and resonant and *not* twangy (which some people like).

YMMV,

Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  3:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I haven't experiemented much. I've used John Pearse PB lights and tried the slack key variety too. When I don't want to spend the money I use Web Strings PB lights which sell for $2.85/set. If you buy in bulk, they're even cheaper.

I like the John Pearse strings. I tend to like the lights better than the slack key because I don't think my guitar needs the larger gauge bass strings. Seems that there is enough bass already.

I'd like to try the coated EXPs but have not used up my stash of strings yet.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  3:55:27 PM  Show Profile
Hey Andy,

How do you like those webstrings?

Chris
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  5:55:51 PM  Show Profile
I've tried most types of steel strings: Martin, D'Addario, Dean Markley, various house brands. I used to use John Pearse mediums on my hd28 alot for flatpicking. For the last couple of years I've been using Elixer polywebs. For me, they sound a little bright for about 10-20 min and then settle down.

They sound great on my Taylor 714ce and Rainsong om1000 (I use lights). In addition to the sound I like, thay have exceptionally long life and they really minimize finger squeak. I currently use medium polywebs on my hd28 but I just play finger style slack key on it.

I've tried the slack key sets and bluegrass sets of Pearse and polywebs but don't care much for them. They make me feel unbalanced?!?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  10:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I like web strings a lot. I buy into the whole "no advertising - we pass the savings on to you..."

I do not think they're inferior based on the low price. Since every brand is a little different, it would cost you less than $3 to try a set on your guitar. I do not recall if there is a minimum order but I think the price includes shipping. See how your guitar, fingers and ears like them.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  11:06:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Andy,

I am going to give them a try. If they sound good who cares about brand?
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2003 :  11:16:04 PM  Show Profile
I've been playing slack key off and on for a few years, though not a lot of cumulative time. After a lot of experimentation, I find that I like the John Pearse strings the best and I think that they do last longer than other brands that I've tried. I do like the #800 Hawaiian Slack Key set, probably because I play a lot in C-wahine tuning and I feel that it gives me a deeper bass while still sounding balanced across the strings. I generally keep the Hawaiian Slack Key set on my Koa Takamine and #600L light gauge on my Taylor.

I have never used the coated strings but I'm tempted to try a set after reading about them here. Dusty in a post above says he likes them because "In addition to the sound I like, thay have exceptionally long life and they really minimize finger squeak." Do others out there that have used them feel the same? And what brands do you like?

Mahalo for your opinions,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2003 :  3:41:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
In my opinion, Pearse & Elixir Manufacturers are the best. For solo or small combo gigs, they work the best for me. As a working musician that tunes in slack at least 3 times a night, these strings work best. Elixirs are very expensive, but for the quality in the music tone, durability and longevity I prefer Elixirs. The bottoms is what works for me. I don't prefer high bright tones, last year alone my annual guitar strings expense was $650...and that was only on Elixirs 12's and 13's.

Strings do make a different, for me it's all about the tone.

Aloha....www.kaulia.com

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2003 :  3:53:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
PS, the Elixirs here on Maui retail @ $29.99 a set, I get them at a discount at Bounty Music for $12/set.

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2003 :  4:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo donkaulia,

Thanks for your helpful comments, particularly since you speak as a performer. It looks like I'll have to try a set of Elixirs, especially since I like the Pearse strings for their lows too, and you say that's why you like the Elixirs. It appears that they're available on the web at about $12 too, and some sites offer free shipping if you spend more than $35. For me that would work well since I'm in Washington and Bounty Music is pretty far away! That's a great store though. I've been there when I lived in Hawaii, which was just last year. Do you use the PolyWeb or the NanoWeb?

By the way, I enjoyed visiting your web site and look forward to it's completion. Thanks again.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2003 :  6:28:01 PM  Show Profile
To javeiro,

I use the Elixirs, but I prefer the Nanowebs over the Ploywebs. The don't last as long, but they have a better tone. I play without nails or picks, so I need a little more pop. I've got a set of Med/Lights (med on two base strings) and I like them. I use these on a RainSong Ws1000. I use mediums on my Taylor Koa Dred. I practice a lot and I seem to get good life out of the Elixirs. When they do go, you know it right away.
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2003 :  6:39:43 PM  Show Profile
I agree with ChunkyM about the Nanowebs. I used the polys for awhile then tried the Nanos and I like the tone better. Haven't tried the two mediums on the bottom, but will next time.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2003 :  7:35:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I use the polys on my parlor, which tends to sound overly bright anyway, and the nanos on my dread.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2003 :  12:01:21 AM  Show Profile
Count me in too. With Terry. Nanowebs are the way to go. Like they say, they don't last as long as the polywebs (nanoweb and polyweb are the 2 Elixir type strings...nanoweb being the thinner coating of the two)

Beautiful mellow sound, and damn near squeak free to boot. The real benefit of this type coated string is that they sound the same week 9 as they did week 1.

Aloha,
Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2003 :  12:45:39 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo chunky monkey, Duke, Craig, and Mike for your opinions. I really appreciate them. I will try a set of NanoWebs and report back to this forum.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000