Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Aloha Hawaiian Music & Dance Weekend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2002 :  03:25:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha everyone,

Lynette and I just attended the Beamer family "Aloha Hawaiian Music and Dance Weekend" which took place April 18-21. We had a blast.

The instructors included:
* Keola Beamer (guitar)
* Moana Beamer (hula)
* Auntie Nona Beamer (stories & songs)
* Kaliko Beamer-Trapp (language & culture)
* Cindy Combs (guitar and `ukulele)
* Mark Nelson (guitar)
* Peggy Chun (water color painting)
* Leilehua Yuen (Hawaiian crafts) <- Added by Admin 4/30/02

I attended guitar and `uke classes primarily. The camp gave me some nice exposure to Keola's C (C-G-D-G-B-E) since Keola and Cindy both play a lot in this tuning. Leaving my security blanket of taro patch tuning was a little tough, but I came to appreciate the C tuning relatively quickly.

Keola handed out some tabs including some of his new compositions which have not been recorded yet. Really some beautiful, nahenahe arrangements. Keola truly creates some of the best arrangements I've ever heard. Thank you Keola for all the laughs and website endorsement!

It was also a highlight for me meeting Cindy Combs. Cindy performed the first evening after dinner and quickly impressed everyone with her vocals and jazzed up stylings. Cindy already posted here about her thoughts on chords, but I'll repeat it. It was a tremendous help to have Cindy show us chords so I could begin understanding "Keola's C". Atleast I started understanding how her fingers are flying all over the fret board when she performs. Cindy, thanks for taking some of the mystery out it. Now I have to go practice! `Ukulele class was fun too and popular. Cindy taught us the Spanish strum and handed out some great songs. Thanks for telling the campers about taropatch.net and hawaiimusicians.com!

Hawaiian culture with Kaliko and Auntie Nona will always be a not-to-be-missed opportunity. The two of them shared stories, language and song with us. Even if you are not into guitar or hula, you could simply attend the camp for the culture and language sessions.

I did not make it to hula or water color but Lynette loved them both. I was told that Moana made her class work hard (read - you break a sweat), but Lynette returned for more so it must have been a good time. Having Peggy at the camp was the highlight for Lynette. What a wonderful lady and encouraging teacher.

Again, I encourage you to go to the camp. The rooms are not luxurious, but there is something to be said for no TV, no telephone - just some wonderful people in a beautiful place sharing music, dance, culture and aloha.

Aloha,
Andy

Ps. Cindy - happy belated birthday! Who's Uncle Billy??? Oh, now I know too!

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  3:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andy is being modest by not mentioning that he was invited to share the stage with the Beamer Family during one of the evening concerts at the Aloha Weekend.

Yep, Keola Beamer himself invited Andy up on stage.... to tell us about his amazing pants adventure.

I won't steal his moment of glory, you'll have to ask him yourself.

Speaking of the Aloha Music Camp: I just heard from `ukulele virtuoso Herb Ohta, Jr., son of the legendary Ohta-san, that he will be able to join us as an instructor this August 12-18.

There's still some space available, so dust off that `ukulele and come join us. Andy promises to wear pants.

Aloha.

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  4:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha Mark,

Thanks for putting together another successful camp at Kalani Honua. You all took really good care of us! Mahalo!

I should also mention that I sat in on one of Mark's beginner classes and enjoyed it immensely. If you're interested in learning slack key, no need to be shy. Mark's class was unintimidating and would help any aspiring ki ho`alu player. I had fun and welcomed the familiarity of taro patch tuning!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2002 :  5:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e Mark,

Just so you know, Andy won't talk about the pants. We saw him streaking toward Kailua in a car 15 minutes before he was to be married. 30 minutes later, I asked him what was up, and he said (quote)" I had an issue." How's that for understatement? We had to hear the story third hand later on Maui, so we will just have to shame him or, after waiting a suitable interval until he recovers in NJ, tell what the rumor mill told us.

Andy, brah, the golf ball is on the tee. Swing, or someone else will for you :-) (Andy play golf, which is flog spelled backwards, or "A Good Walk Spoiled".)

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  4:25:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Aloha kakou,

First year anniversary today so I thought I'd revisit this topic. It sure is nice to have warm memories of our friends and music of the Aloha Camp to go along with those of our wedding.

So this is my wedding pant adventure and let it be a lesson to those who will be married out there...

30 minutes before our wedding was to start, I go to get dressed and cannot find my tuxedo pants. After some quick brainstorming and panicked cursing, my groomsmen and I figure the pants must be at my mother-in-law's house which is 30 minutes away. Realizing that the 1 hour round trip would delay the wedding by at least a half hour and that we were not even certain that the pants were there, we go to plan B.

As people were driving up the driveway on the way to our wedding, my buddy Dana and I go driving down the driveway at 60mph… our destination, the Windward Mall. Zooming around and past cars on the Pali Highway, we get there in about 15 minutes. With wedding outfit on top and khaki pants on the bottom, I run in to Sears and go to the back where they have their formal rentals. We had called the shop before running over there so the girl was expecting us and there was hope that one of their “try on” pants might save the day. You see, they do not actually keep inventory of rental pants on site but have a few “try ons” to help people find the proper size.

Winded from my sprint through the store, I tell the girl that I’m the emergency and she leads me around back. I follow her and there is a rack of pants and a little boy sitting in a chair (waiting for a family member who’s in one of the changing rooms). In my frantic, late-for-my-own-wedding rush, I take my pants down in anticipation of trying on a pair of pants without even going in to a dressing room. The poor girl, with eyes covered, hands me a pair of pants to try. “Oops, sorry,” I say, “I’m in such a rush.” Although I’m embarrassed by my impromptu striptease, there’s no damage done and the pants are perfect.

Dana and I are back on the road, me in my new pants, about 20 minutes late for the wedding. Meanwhile, I’m on my cell phone with a friend who is to do a reading at the ceremony and she is stuck in H1 traffic. “I’m all set,” I think to myself. The wedding is slightly delayed but the “official” reason will actually be due to our friend’s delay. My entire pant adventure will be the groomsmen’s little secret. The bride-to-be and guests will never be the wiser. Or so I thought.

Upon returning to the wedding site, I’m greeted with multiple, “Hey! Nice pants!” Apparently, my brother told my parents, my parents told their friends, and word spread like wildfire…. “Andy, can’t find his pants… don’t tell Lynette (the bride).” So my wedding started 30-40 minutes late but everything else went without a hitch. Our wedding day was beautiful and more than I ever dreamed of. Oh, and if you’re wondering, my pants had fallen off the hanger in the closet at my mother-in-law’s house.

Aloha and thanks for reading my little story.
Andy

Ps. If you ever hear Keola say that he likes my website, www. Drop-Trow .com, you'll know what he's taling about.
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  6:14:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laugh...that's a real funny story.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2003 :  10:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy, that's funny.

Maybe we should have a poll: how many here had a wedding with what seemed at the time to be a major hitch? OK, but was it as funny as Andy's?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Crotalus
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2003 :  01:33:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Crotalus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, dat's a good one!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000