Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Two Questions about Gabby's Music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mike D.
Aloha

18 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  2:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Mike D. an AOL message  Send Mike D. a Yahoo! Message
I've been enjoying some recent acquisitions in my slack key music collection, and they are the (1) GABBY Brown Album and (2) the GABBY PAHINUI HAWAIIAN BAND - VOL 1. album.

Question #1 - on track 11 (last tune) on the Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band CD (Ipo Lei Manu), there are some words that are spoken, mostly in Hawaiian. All I can understand is the very begining where the speaker says, "Hey, Pahinui . . . " Does anyone know what the conversation is?

Question #2 - besides these other two, what other Gabby CDs are recommended? There are so many from which to choose?

Thanks!

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  2:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Mike

What other Gabby CD's??? ..... ALL OF THEM!!!!

Aloha, Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  3:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Kevin is right, just start acquiring. Also, all Sonny's and all Ozzie's and all... :-)

About the Hawaiian, we'll have to listen again, but the first line is not "Hey" Pahinui, it is "E Pahinui". E is a particle of address. It announces that what follows is a person's proper name. It is often used on both sides of a name as "E Lili`u e". E Mike e?. Then, as I remember, Gabby says only one word in Hawaiian, "Ai", which means "Yes". Can't remember the rest, but, we'll get back to you (or, Sarah will).

Just so you know, O is a particle of address of a place, as O Maui. So, you know it is a place name.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  4:42:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Hawaiian inspired the pidgin... "Eh, brah..." That's proper grammer Hawaiian style.

Regarding Gabby albums, refer to Ozzie Kotani's suggestions to an old post titled Required Albums.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mike D.
Aloha

18 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  5:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Mike D. an AOL message  Send Mike D. a Yahoo! Message
Hey great list there from Ozzie. An additional question through, I see that Ozzie notes that Dancing Cat put out a re-release of the "Pure Gabby" album. He writes:

Pure Gabby
Dancing Cat just put out the version completely solo w/out the
overdubs
Must have

I checked into this with Auntie Maria recently, and she indicated that this wasn't, in fact, the case. (I had also seen from the Dancing Cat website something about a re-release, but Auntie Maria verified that this was an error. I'm sure she will get a kick out of seeing this topic arise anew!)

Does anyone have any additional info about the Pure Gabby album? Thanks!!!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  7:48:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
If anyone is going to re-release Gabby's material my guess is that it will be Cord International. They just re-released Ray Kane's old LPs and will be re-releasing Leonard Kwan's soon. They have already re-released Two Slack Key Guitars with Gabby and Atta Isaacs. Gabby also appears on some of their other CDs, including the excellentHistory of Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar.

I just sent them an email asking, so we'll see what they say.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/15/2003 8:24:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  9:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Ohana's

Howzit! Reid, Sarah, Andy, & Lynette.
So nice to see you on taropatch.

What a wonderful time we all had
just hanging out with each other
back here in the islands. ( molokai too.)

Mahalo for such a memorable time!!!

Wanted to add on another thing about Gabby.
Besides his son's, Sonny, Peter Moon, Randy Lorenzo,
Ry Cooder, and others that have played on many of Gabby's
recording's, there is one person that can actually fit in Gabby's shoes, wear them and he would'nt mind a bit!

That person is, "Atta" Isaacs. They both complimet each other very well on there slack key playing.
Although they have different styles, somehow when they play together, they have the sweetest sound you can ever hear.

If im not mistaken Atta did a solo recording awhile back it was called.... what else?.... "ATTA"

Just wanted to give him some recognition, where it's well deserved.... He too is one of the greats!!!!

Aloha, Malama Pono!
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  12:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Mike!
Check out Gabby's Rabbit Island Music Festival! I love dat one! I love all of 'em, really. But that one stands out to me.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  10:33:48 AM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Mike! (Aloha, Mike!) Aloha käkou!

Good question you had about the words on Gabby’s CD. (What a gorgeous song, Ka Ipo Lei Manu.)

This is what is said on the cd:

“E Pahinui, hiki iä `oe ke ho`okani hou i käu kïkä?”
“No`u ka hau`oli.”
“A pehea ka himeni nö?”
“`Ae, hiki nö ia`u ke himeni no `oukou.”

That all means, in idiomatic English:
“Pahinui, can you play your guitar again?”
“It would be my pleasure.”
“And how about singing too?”
“Yes, I can sing for you all.”

As Reid said, in Hawaiian the “e” is a particle indicating address to a person. It is used before any proper name when addressing. If you *don’t* use the e when addressing someone, no one will understand that you are addressing them. As it was explained to me, since most Hawaiian names mean other things (Pahi-nui could mean “big knife”), if you don’t use any particle, you would just be saying “big knife,” not someone’s name, and people would look at you funny

There are other particles (`o, i) that are used before proper nouns under other circumstances. `O is used before any proper noun when that noun is the subject. `O is not to be confused with o (o without the `okina) which is a possessive particle. The particle i is used to indicate the recipient of some action, or in other contexts, location or motion towards. (One thing about Hawaiian, most words have multiple meanings and thus context is crucial to understanding.)

For those of you interested in this sort of thing, I’ll go further, with a more “literal” – and stilted – interpretation so you can see how the formation of sentences (and thoughts) is kinda different from English.

“Pahinui, possible to you the playing again your guitar?”
“For me happiness.”
“And how about singing indeed?”
“Yes, possible to me to sing for all-of-you-not-me.”

And for those of you *really* interested , the breakdown of this little dialogue:

hiki i …. ke = can
where hiki indicates possibility/ability; i (or , see below) is the particle before a noun or place-name indicating an object; and ke precedes the action-word (only with hiki and a few other words, not in general)

iä `oe = (to) you
iä is the particle preceding pronouns (except the first person singular) and people’s proper names (not place names) to indicate that the person is the object (recipient of some action). `oe is the pronoun meaning “you” singular.

ho`okani = to play (lit., to make sound)
ho`o is a prefix that indicates that something is made to occur. Kani is sound, but one can’t just say “I kani the guitar” – you “make” the guitar sound. Etc.

hou = new, again
as in “hana hou” – “do (it) again”

käu = your [an "a" possessive regarding most acquired things, as opposed to kou, an "o" possessive regarding most inherited things or thing over which one has no control]

kïkä = guitar [from the English]

no`u = for me
contraction of no (for; from) + au (I)

ka hau`oli = happiness, etc.
No`u ka hau`oli is a standard phrase, like “My pleasure” is in English.

a = and; until

pehea = how, how about

ka himeni = song, singing

= emphatic particle, emphasizing the word that precedes it
nö is often translated as “indeed,” as in “Maui nö ka `oi” where it is Maui that is emphasized. Nö cannot stand alone – i.e., the phrase “nö ka `oi” isn’t complete on its own.

ia`u = to me
contraction of particle iä + au (I)

no = for; from

`oukou = “you” three-or-more

Hope that helps, and wasn’t too long winded.

Aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  12:39:52 PM  Show Profile
Wow ~ Mahalo Sarah!
That must've taken you foever to type out, but I greatly appreciate the Hawaiian Language Lesson.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  1:56:19 PM  Show Profile
Nice, Sarah, Thanks
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  3:29:55 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou e ka 'Ohana Taropatch!

Aloha Kevin! Your posting reminded me that there is also a Gabby and Atta cd, called "Two Slack Key Guitars - A Livin on a Easy", which is still available.

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/793.htm

The two get some really sweet sounds, and some jazzy sounds, when they play together!

And for those of you who'd like to know, our own Kevin Brown (ohanabrown) and his son Ikaika play a mesmerizing version of "How Do You Do" in what is known as Atta's C tuning. (CGEgce - nice and sweet!) That's one of the pieces they played at the Slack Key Festival on Maui last month.

Don't know it's Atta's song or not - Kevin, do you know?

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  4:06:17 PM  Show Profile
Ok, who votes to have Sarah teach a combo class of ki ho'alu and 'olelo!?! She could start by teaching Ka Ipo Lei Manu.

Wow...that'd be worth a plane trip back east!

Eric
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  04:29:34 AM  Show Profile
Sarah's got my .."VOTE!".

Sarah if im not mistaken, "How'd You Do"
is an old standard, maybe from the 40's

Thanks for bringing it up. Ikaika and i will
be doing it on the next CD. ( "How' You Do")

So we should start re-searching that song.
Mahalo again for a wonderful time at mahinahina.

Can't wait to hear you play again, and to try Reids
cooking.

Aloha, Pumehana
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  09:04:59 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Kevin!

So glad to hear you're going to put "How'd You Do" on your new cd – I was hoping you would!

Thank *you* for a wonderful visit at Mahinahina. You are such a great storyteller, too. And once again, thank you for your generosity, and all your guidance and kokua and support.

me ke aloha nö,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Mike D.
Aloha

18 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  12:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Mike D. an AOL message  Send Mike D. a Yahoo! Message
Sarah, OUTSTANDING JOB on the translation. You're so thorough! Wow! That gives me some sense of the nuances found in Hawaiian language, and I really appreciate the time it must have taken to document the translation & its meaning -- thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000