Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 source for traditional tunes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bluzdulcimer
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  1:27:18 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know of a good source for traditional Hawaiian tunes?
I'm not talking about tunes that have already been arranged for
slack key. I would like to step back to the original tunes
and do my own arrangements. When working from an existing arrangement, many times I'm not sure what is original and what is contributed by the arranger. Or are the arrangements so much
part of the original tunes that it is impossible, or difficult,
to separate them now?

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  1:37:25 PM  Show Profile
Aloha bluzdulcimer!
Welcome to taropatch.net!
Check out Huapala Hawaiian Music & Hula Archives:
http://www.huapala.org/
Aloha,
Stacey
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  1:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Try The Queen's Songbook:

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2577.htm

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

bluzdulcimer
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  2:05:28 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, these sources are just what I needed.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  4:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Also look at:
King's Book of Hawaiian Melodies, Centerbrook Publ
The Complete Hawaiian Music Collection, Warner Brother Publ
R. Alex Anderson's Famous Songs of Hawaii, Hal Lenoard
Favorite Hawaiian Songs, Hal Leonard
and.. Criterion Music Corp. put out a whole series of books called, I believe, Authentic Songs from the Romantic Islands. I think there are 7 or 8 of these, each with about 4 doz. songs
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  01:41:42 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

Try The Queen's Songbook:

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2577.htm

How is the Queen's Book? I've read there are problems with smudged pages ... makes it hard to read. How many songs are in it? I see reviews of it at Amazon.com and places, but can't get the physical book in hand to examine it.

- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  01:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
No problems with smudged pages in my copy...it's nicely printed on good quality paper with crisp text and sheet music.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  1:58:37 PM  Show Profile
I have a perfect copy --
A super book - for me worth every cent -- even twice the price
The arrangements are by some of Hawaii's top musicians. The text is very informative.
Wish we had more like this.
Only problem is if you lay it too flat the binding will crack.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  3:02:54 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Greg rd2ruin,

Another place you can obtain a brand new hardback copy is:

http://www.hulasource.com/queenlilquee.html

for $48. This where I got my copy when they first came out , and it's fine. Don't know anything about smudges. And for such an important work, I definitely wanted the hardback. Paperbacks tend to fall apart....

BTW, I also don't know why on mele.com the hardback cover is green and on hulasource.com it is red. Mine is red. ????

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The softcover version is green.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  3:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Ah.

That would do it.

Go for the Red.

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  11:51:16 PM  Show Profile
I may be wrong about this, but ...
I think the original version of this came out to be sold only in Hawaii and was green (paperback) .... then it started to be sold outside of Hawaii also, and color shifted to pink (paperback) --
This guess is based upon fact that ... I got my copy when it first came out in Hawaii (lucky coincidence)while a friend recently got his at our local Hawaiian shop.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  01:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Could be that they changed the cover color with the second printing. I bought mine through the Internet earlier this year from a store located in Hawaii. It appears to be first printing. It does indicate on the copyright page that there are both clothbound and paperbound editions.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  5:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address
Regarding the comments about the softbound books falling apart and being hard to use ...

I have solved this on non-collectible books by having a well-known, local copy service (begins with a "K") cut the binding and rebind it with spiral binding. It costs $6/book, but they stay open, lay flat, and don't wear out like standard soft bindings typically do.

For collectible books, like the original copies of some of the books mentioned above, I carefully photocopy the piece while working on it.

For songs I am learning or working on that span more than two pages from collectible books or not, I photocopy the pages, tape them together and put them on the music stand. If it is really big, 5 or more pages, I tape it to a piece of cardboard in two rows. It is so helpful to see the entire piece at a glance.

Jim

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  11:39:33 PM  Show Profile
Basically what I do, too - although if the piece goes on for more than 4 pp, which is the max my stand will handle, then I recopy the piece onto tab paper, much like a lead sheet. "Ki ho'alu compression."
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2003 :  11:58:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I take the hi-tech approach and enter the song into TablEdit. That way I can print it out to fit any format I want and I'm also able to slow down the tempo and generate a MIDI file that I can convert to an MP3 and carry around with me. (Or generate a full tempo version if I don't have a recording of the song.) As an added bonus, I often end up with much cleaner and easier-to-follow tab than the original.

Craig
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000