Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The "Other" Hawaiian Taro Patch Instrument
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  12:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
A couple weeks ago, I visited a well known slack key musician (I will call him 'Tedward') He showed me a beautiful old acoustic Hawaiian steel guitar which he purchased in San Francisco for $5... five dollars? Yes, and do you know why? Because the person who owned it couldn't press the strings down to the frets, so they assumed it was a badly made guitar, or simply a wall hanging. As an acoustic steel guitar player on the Big Island, I have been amazed at the way local youngsters stare at my instrument, and ask me, "what is that?"
Ok, listen! The acoustic steel guitar is a beautiful instrument, and it is genuinely Hawaiian! It is as Hawaiian as the ukulele or slack key guitar! The first ones were always tuned to Taro Patch. Do we have any representation here on Taro Patch Net? (Look in the upper left-hand corner) This has mostly to do with the fact that so few people ever try to learn it any more! It's so easy to learn!
So rather than see it die out altogether, I would like to put this out there:
If any of you would like to try your hand at playing Taro Patch Steel, please let me know, and I will give you some tips on how to transform any guitar into a 'temporary' steel guitar. If you don't like it, you can change it back into a regular guitar and no one will be able to tell...
Total cost is this:
1) "nut extender" available at most guitar stores.... $9
1) Steel bar (I use a Shubb SP-2) plenty other kine.$20
2) Finger Picks................................................................$1.50
1) Thumb Pick...................................................................fifty cents

A steel guitar that will melt the heart..................."priceless"

If you are at the guitar store anyway, you might pick up a
heavier set of strings in case you break one. Heavier strings
have better sustain.

Ok, I have said my piece. Andy, thanks for this great forum. You
can probably tell I really enjoy it.

-sincerely,
Konabob

Edited by - Konabob on 07/18/2003 12:46:34 AM

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  01:02:33 AM  Show Profile
Then how do you hold it? On your lap? I love steel/slide guitar but have my hands overly full just trying to play fingerstyle slack key.

How about instruction books? Bob Brozman only?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  01:34:50 AM  Show Profile
Pauline, Bob's video is great, but it's more rewarding to get it straight from the source (ahh, the advantages of Bay Area living... of course he'll be at IGS in Seattle during Fleet Week). For books, Stacy Phillips has the best. He teaches a lot of traditional Hawaiian songs (as you may know, one of the most common steel guitar tunings is Taropatch) in a lot of different keys. Steel guitar is one of my first loves with respect to guitar.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  02:07:11 AM  Show Profile
That "nut extender" - most kids at guitar stores in the SF Bay Area look at you and go, Wha?" After calling all the places in the South Bay, I finally had a friend going to Hawaii get me a pair. It really is a cool thing. Personally, I like the glass slide, but maybe that's because I play it so seldom.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  12:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Musicians Friend has nut extenders for $4.35 - (ask for product number EN02) Yes Pauline, you play it on your lap. Your right hand will behave exactly as it does when playing slack key - you can get by without the finger picks if you play alone and don't need much volume. You hold the bar with the thumb, index and pointer finger of your left hand. The other two fingers should be relaxed and laying on the strings. The big difference in playing is that the left hand doesn't have to create chords... and never gets sore from pressing on strings. You simply place the bar over a fret and start picking. Since you already understand the chords used in taro patch tuning, you should be able to pick it right up.
I stuck an mp3 at http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/Ironwood_Moon.mp3
It's a slow waltz I wrote on a taro patch tuned acoustic steel guitar.
-Konabob
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Wow, that is hauntingly beautiful Bob...it's going on my iPod. Now I'm going to have to go out and search for a nut extender (I think I got a junk email a while back offering one...no, never mind, that was something else) and try to figure out what you're doing.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  5:53:31 PM  Show Profile
bwahahahahahahahaha...

still laughing about that last post

duke
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2003 :  7:27:32 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Konabob,

Yes, that sounds so sweet.

Mahalo,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  12:57:25 AM  Show Profile
Sorta funny that this came up now. I'd never even known there was Hawaiian Steel Guitar. And while doing my usual searches for cheap slack key music earlier this week, I came upon the CD called "Various Artists - History Of Hawaiian Steel Guitar" ( http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=105624 ) ... I balked at buying it, but maybe I should check it out.

Anyone have this CD?

- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  12:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Hi Konabob, I would like to change my steel guitar into a regular guitar........ Seriously, thank you for inspiring me to brush the cobwebs off my steel guitar and start playing it again...Konabob, how can I change my kitchen broom in to a upright bass? Alohas
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  12:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
They laugh when I showed them my skinny bass! Ha!
When I start to play, they drop da jaw!
If you're on Oahu, check it out next time you are in Island Guitars.
By the way, they have some beautiful old steel guitars in there too!
-Aloha,
Konabob
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  1:32:50 PM  Show Profile
You know, I whimper about being so far away from all the slack key action, but Winchester, Indiana actually hosts the Aloha International Hawaiian Steel Guitar Festival every year over the second weekend in July. I have only been to it once because I generally have family obligations that weekend, but they are wonderful people who love to share their music. Also, they have a nice lu`au on Saturday night - yum! So if you find yourself in the area....

I have nearly a hundred slack key CDs but only a bare handful of steel guitar. That is much more a reflection of my passion for ki ho`alu than a statement on the quality of kika kila. Anyway, I do recommend Bobby Ingano's CD Steel Reflections, and Mountain Apple Co's Steel Guitar Magic in addition, of course, to the Led Kaapana and Bob Brozman duets.

Konabob, are you still planning to come play with us August 10th? Win over some more steel fans? (not to mention showing off your base for Larry)

Debbie B
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  1:59:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Wild horses couldn't keep me from coming over on the 10th!

I could also recommend any of Ken Emerson's work. His albums are hard to find (out of print) except one that Chord International just released. Both Ken and Bob Brozman play the heck out of an acoustic steel guitar. Last year they were both invited to the International Dobro Festival in Slovinia... they played together!!!
That had to be one hot show!
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  3:20:43 PM  Show Profile
"History of Hawaiian Steel Guitar" is a pretty good survey of songs. If you want to overdose on Hawaiian steel guitar, for not a whole lot of cash, I'd recommend "Waikiki is Good Enough For Me."

http://www.beerrecords.com/waikiki.htm

188 songs in mp3, all on one CD. My group uses it as a source of inspiration for songs to perform (we're a trio consisting of resonator uke, National Style O, and National Style 2 Hawaiian guitar). I haven't bought the latest CD, but I will soon.

Theres another great CD called "From Honolulu to Hawaii" collected by Allan Dodge: http://www.venerablemusic.com/JazzN-ZRecordPages/TOM_123.htm
http://www.theoldmasters.com/

Bob Brozman recorded an album with the Tau Moe family. Tau was one of the great originators of Hawaiian steel guitar. www.mele.com carries the album - Lots of traditional stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  3:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, the two albums Bob recorded with Led Ka'apana are excellent.
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  6:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
John B - I just ordered "...Good Enough for Me". What a find! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000