Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The "Other" Hawaiian Taro Patch Instrument
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  8:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Me too, along with the second volume...wow!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2003 :  8:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Bummer! I wanted to be the first person I know with vol. 2...

Guess I'll have to get off my duff and order. I'm also planning on ordering 3 more of his CDs (the "World's Greatest" series).
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  12:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Well, you don't know me so you're still fine.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  01:31:34 AM  Show Profile
Sooooo, my husband Larry has this 30 year-old Pan guitar (from Korea) that has warped and the action is really high. We were snorting and kibbutzing about it, and I thought we should get a thingamabob, that steel finger thing, and try to play steel style on it. Any thoughts about that, KonaBob? (Oh, and yes, I really admired your stand-up base.) No kidding, haha. Hugs, Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 07/20/2003 01:34:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  01:55:12 AM  Show Profile
This thread inspired me to get out my brass slide that I barely know how to hold and try it lap style on a taro patch tuned classical guitar. Guess what, it sounds great. I don't know what to do with it beyond going whoo-o-e-e and ee-e-ah-oh but I like that sound.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  02:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Bob, any chance of getting tab of the song you posted so all of us who are suddenly excited about raising our nuts have something to work on??

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 07/20/2003 10:35:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Maureen
Aloha

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  06:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Hey everybody! Hey, Craig! This guy Isaac says he used to play Steel guitar for the WHALES, and they would come up to the boat just to listen to it. We need like a really big WHALE BOOM BOX, or like cordless cetacean headsets to pass out. They might even change their songs, with a running bass. Can't you just hear that? Whales playing "Henehene Kou Aka?" in slow motion?

Incerdently, this is how I got Beamerized into Hawai'i in the first place. I was trying to find Steel guitar music at Border's. First I tried Country, to no avail. Then I ended up in the Hawaiian section, put "Soliloquy" in my head, and the rest is history. Now Soliloquy is one of my practice albums since Keola was nice enough to spell out how to play some of the mele.
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  12:39:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Julie-
Converting a guitar with lousy action is a brilliant move! What else could you ever do with it? My first steel guitar was a "Stella" - sold by Sears & Roebuck in the 60's. They were brutal on the fingers. I raised the strings, and replaced the bridge with a piece of welding rod. Ken Emerson played it at the local Hard Rock Cafe one day and cranked out the most amazing delta blues on it. Everyone was stunned!

Short answer: Do It! You won't be disappointed.

PS - I will give my stick bass your best wishes.

Pauline - This is how it always starts...

C -
I regret that I don't read music, don't read tabs. I play by
ear, and on a fretless instrument, that actually is a big plus.
You might find that playing with a bar actually improves your ear for music, since you are not relying on frets to keep you in tune. The way I do Ironwood Moon is to tip the bar up so that it is only touching the high string on some of the notes. Try it.

Edited by - Konabob on 07/20/2003 12:47:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  1:02:32 PM  Show Profile
Maureen sez:
quote:
This guy Isaac says he used to play Steel guitar for the WHALES, and they would come up to the boat just to listen to it. ~ Can't you just hear that? Whales playing "Henehene Kou Aka?" in slow motion?

Aloha e Maureen!
Cool whale story!!! I can totally hear that! Maybe whalesong inspired the slide steel string sound.
Aloha,
Stacey

Edited by - Stacey on 07/20/2003 2:20:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  1:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Pauline - one other thing:
As long as you are practicing your "whoo-o-e-e and ee-e-ah-oh's", try tuning the 3rd string (normally a D) up to an E. This gives you the G6th tuning, and anything you play will sound totally Hawaiian in that tuning.
-Aloha,
Konabob
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2003 :  2:01:49 PM  Show Profile
Here's a link to another forum, and to a thread from long ago (2000). However, it still applies, and I like this quote regarding playing steel guitar: "I'm immediately struck by what a difference 1 millimeter makes - between sweet music and painful cacophony..."

Whoever said that is a bright guy...

http://www.guitarseminars.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000534.html
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2003 :  4:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
John, thanks for the above link!
The ability to be a millimeter off when you want to means that you can really get expressive with the steel guitar. It makes the instrument more like the human voice. You just have to train your ear like any singer would.
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  1:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Ok, I just made a short movie, just to see if my equipment would let me. I played Ke Aloha No O Honolulu on my Weissenborn. If not a stellar performance, it at least shows how little effort it is to play the steel guitar - especially the left hand.
http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/honolulu.avi

-Konabob
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  5:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Thanks for the video Bob...I'm sure it's not as easy as you make it look, but it piques my interest even further.

I ran across this on the Web:

http://members.shaw.ca/steelguitar

Any of you steel players know if it's any good? It sounds like it's perfect for a beginner.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  5:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Although I do not know much about lap steel, I have been told that any one interested should definitely visit the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association.

I have also heard great things about Jerry Byrd's Instruction Course.

Just a word of caution, just like in anything else you do - proper technique is important. Read this article: "Frozen Shoulder" Blamed on Steel Guitar Playing

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000