Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The "Other" Hawaiian Taro Patch Instrument
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  8:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Thanks cpatch, I am hoping that a few more people will pick it up, especially here in Hawaii. As I said in my first post, It is a dying art here. All the kupuna are really thrilled that I took it up. I have only been playing for a few years, and mostly had to teach myself. Ken Emerson gave me a few lessons, but he lives on Kauai. Teachers are hard to find. But fortunately it is so enjoyable to play, I stuck with it and get invited to join in with lots of other musicians.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  8:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Konabob,

Thanks for the video. It brought me right back to the evening in Napili when you were playing with Sarah. Mahalo nui loa.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  8:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I wish every night could be that much fun, Andy! I have already made reservations for next year. And this time I am plan to stay the whole week!
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2003 :  3:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
This is a great topic. I dabble in steel guitar and slack key. It is really nice that the tunings are the same. All your knowledge of the fretboard on one instrument is applicable to the other. You are much more limited when playing steel guitar. Steel guitar playing has been likened to being a one-fingered guitarist - you can fret the complex chord shapes that you can when playing slack key.

I have a page with reviews of some Vintage Hawaiian Guitar CDs and instructional material (assuming anyone cares about my opinions :^):
http://www.rahul.net/gaa/HawGuit/HawMat.html

Gary
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2003 :  10:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I made the mistake of buying one of those Montana travel guitars, one of those canoe paddle-shaped things that looked cute at first. Now that the neck is warped (no truss rod) I decided to turn it into an acoustic lap steel. It's a hoot! It's a nice size to sit on your lap, and fits easily in the back of my station wagon.
I have an electric lap steel, but it's not something you can haul out on the porch or take to the beach.
If you find one of those travel guitars, it might not be worth playing as a traditional guitar, but works great for slide.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2003 :  02:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Since I seem to have a growing penchant for unusual guitars, I just picked up an all-aluminum lap steel off eBay, made by Industrial Guitar (www.industrialguitar.com). The thing just begs to be played, although it remains to be seen (heard) how much of a nahenahe sound can be coaxed out of it. (Darn it, why don't I think of these things before I place the bid?)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/29/2003 04:00:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  12:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Steel guitar master Henry Kaileialoha Allen will be in the bay area through 8/11 and available for private lessons (ukulele too) if anyone's interested. Check my other post at http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1047 or his site at http://www.henrykallen.com. I've been told by several people that his instructional material is the best for learning Hawaiian steel guitar.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  04:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Ok, I am back with another mp3. Art Akina came over and sang this great old "Waikiki Style" song, and played it on his standard tuned guitar. I played acoustic (Weisenborn) steel, and then went back and added Kona Walkingstick bass. Did the recording on a G4 with $35 worth of software. Gee, it's great to be a musician in the 21st century!

http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/waikiki.mp3

Aloha,
Konabob
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  08:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Konabob!

That was great! It is really fun that you can do that – make us an mp3 at a moment's notice, and share it with us. Mahalo!

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  12:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Mahalo plenty, Sarah!
It is really easy these days. The software is cheap, and usually you can just plug your guitar right into the audio input jack of your computer. Send me an mp3 of yourself, and I can add steel guitar to it and send it back!!! Virtual Kanikapila!
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  12:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Beautiful! Mahalo nui loa Bob!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  6:33:47 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Konabob for you excellent posts.

Re:
"The software is cheap, and usually you can just plug your guitar right into the audio input jack of your computer."

What software is this? Forgive me if this has already been discussed elsewhere in the forum, I missed it.

Mahalos!

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  9:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
I use "Sound Sculptor 2" on a Mac with system 9 software, but if you are a Windows user, you might like to click here: http://www.tucows.com/preview/194683.html
There is a $29 piece of software that would probably work just fine, and because the trial version works for 14 days, and it's FREE, it would be worth downloading it just to find out if you like playing around with this kind of stuff. Let me know what you think of it.
-Aloha,
Konabob
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  01:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Amadeus II works well on the Mac also...it works best for recording a single instrument but has lots of capability for adding effects (reverb, stereo, exciter, etc.). It can also save directly to MP3.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/04/2003 12:57:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  02:10:22 AM  Show Profile
Aloha KonaBob and Cpatch,

Mahalos for the information. Since I have Windows, I downloaded the PolderbitS Sound Recorder and have had a lot of fun playing with it. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have the capability to directly merge different sound files, however you can record one file and then play it while playing along with it and making a new sound file. It would seem the quality of the first file would suffer, but for casual use it's ok. Definitely worth $29.95.

I was able to merge the PolderbitS files together using the Windows Sound Recorder (standard on Windows under 'accessories'), but timing the 2 files together is a bit tricky. Maybe someone who has had more experience doing this knows of a better way to merge tracks?

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000