Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Haunani Apoliona
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike D.
Aloha

18 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  11:35:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Mike D. an AOL message  Send Mike D. a Yahoo! Message
So I've viewed the video, "That's Slack Key," and listened to the radio program, "Language of Dreams," and in both I see/hear Haunani Apoliona. In the video, she plays some slack key (on a 12 string) and sounds just great. Does anyone know more about her? Does she have any slack key records out? Slack key has few publicized female "masters," but from what I heard, I think she would qualify! Thanks!

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  12:13:41 PM  Show Profile
Her catolog is listed on Mele.com: http://www.mele.com/v3/artcat/apoliona.htm

Her recording on 'Ki Ho'alu, Seattle Style' is great...unfortunately, it's out of print.

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  12:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I took Slack-Key class with Haunani back in the 1970's. At that time she was involved in a wonderful group called "Kaimana"? with another Haunani, Haunai Bernadino. Still one of my favorite "All Wahine" albums to this day. Haunani, besides being the president of the Office of Hawaiian Affairs (OHA) and founder of "Au Like" (A educational organization)plays with Jerry Santos as the revised "Olomana" group. A very talented and busy woman indeed.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  12:45:51 PM  Show Profile
Haunani A. plays with Olomana, so you can hear her on their recordings, too. She plays with Jerry dem at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki on Saturday evenings, where Sarah and I saw and heard them. Great player and powerful singer.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  12:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by erksome

Her recording on 'Ki Ho'alu, Seattle Style' is great...unfortunately, it's out of print.
Not out of print...I bought a copy a few months back direct from the publisher. It looks like Aunty Maria has it in stock too:

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/1089.htm

It's a great CD with some great slack key artists. (Uncle Ray is in top form.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/05/2003 12:55:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2003 :  11:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Not out of print. I bought a copy from Aunty Elodia in June. Uncle's Raymond's on there too, so they sell them.

Oh, Haunani is also a fabulous writer of songs as well. We sing one in our choir, E Mau Ana Ka Ha`Aheo, about Hawai`ian pride.

On the Ki Ho`alu Seattle Style CD from 1993 she does:

O`opu Nui

and Nortwest Folklife Contact Info is:

E-mail: folknw @ aol.com
Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 08/08/2003 12:06:55 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page