Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 string brand and gauge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  2:04:10 PM  Show Profile
Hello all,
I'm wondering what brand of strings and what gauge people prefer?
My guitar came with a set that I don't know what they were. They rang and rang for months! I put a set of Martin's on when I changed them and am not happy at all. They lost their brightness very quickly and seem to go out of tune easily ('course that could just be my ear). Any suggestions on good brands? Also what gauge do most use? I've got 10's on there now and an unwound G. Any advice?

Mahalo,
Jon

Joe Stewart
Aloha

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  2:58:55 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Jon!

I'm far from an expert on such things, but I've spent a lot of time evaluating string types and guages over the years, particularly for amplified acoustic slack key applications, and here's what I can share:

Consider picking-up a set of John Pearse acoustic phosphor bronze strings (stock# JPS-800) from www.juststrings.com. Pearse developed and markets these strings specifically for slack key applications and they come stock at .013/.017/.024/.032/.045/.056. They're an awesome set of strings!

Personally, I like a bit more low-end, so I prefer to bump-up the 6th (.056) to an .059 or .060, but you can experiment with that yourself over time, and then replace the one's you wish with singles (which are also available from Just Strings). Good luck!

Enjoyin' "All Things Slack"

Joe
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  11:50:36 PM  Show Profile
Jon,

I use/like GHS Phosphor Bronzes, light guage (with medium-guage 1st and 2nd strings for Taro Patch).

-dean
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  2:07:13 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Jon,
Depending on the guitar, I like the Elixir Nanoweb (coated) strings. A little pricey, but they last longer than the Pearse strings. I use lights on a RainSong and Mediums on a Taylor Koa Dread. I prefer the Nanowebs to the Polywebs (thinner coating and a beefier sound). After playing the Elixirs, I find other strings "drag".
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  2:10:35 PM  Show Profile
One of the fun things that is absolutely necessary is to experiment with different strings on your guitar (very few things in life combine fun and necessity :-). Each guitar, even from the same maker and the same woods, likes different strings from different manufacturers.

The guitars that Sarah and I have start out with John Pearse PB Lights - our reference set, and then we start trying out things. Pearses last longest for us and sound right as soon as we put them on. Others, like D`addario, are very bright at the start and then mellow out and then go dead pretty fast. One or two of our guitars likes GHS PB light trebles, but needs JP basses. The GHS PB light top 2 or 3 strings are very mellow, giving a nice "fat" treble, but the basses sound too flabby. One of Sarah's guitars absolutely needs a Medium 1st string (of all things) and the rest JP PB Lights. All our guitars sound dead, dead, dead with any coated string of any brand (partly because we pick *very* lightly, I think). We have tried the JP #800 Slack key set, but they seem to unbalance the string to string levels and we also don't like the stiff feel of the large diameter strings. We have tried lots of others, but I won't bore you. Just start trying things, but give them a few days of playing to settle in before you discard them and go on to a new set.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  3:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Me...I use "Salvarez" high tension unwound nylon strings. Basically because they are strong. You could probibly catch one big "Aku" with that these strings. Any suggestions or feedback for us classical guitar type players? Thank you for your time.
Go to Top of Page

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  11:29:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for the great advice! This is turning out to be a great message board. Tomorrow I go out and get a set of medium, bronze, bright somethings and start my journey.
Mahalo again,

Jon
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  10:53:15 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Eric,

Savarez gets great reviews, but if you want to try a few others, these are swell, too.

First, the luthier that made my classical keeps saying, "tension is your friend". So he made my guitar a 660mm scale ("normal" is 650mm) so that I could drop the strings to anything I want and the action is still very low.

Then, I use either D`addario Pro Arte Extra High Tension Composites (kevlar core, really) or Hense 150 High Tension Carbon Fiber strings. The latter look like normal nylons but the 3rd string of the Composites is a greenish-brown. I could care less what they look like, but they sound really good. The 3rd string is always the weakest link, of course, so go with the set that makes that (and the 2 trebles) sound best. You can always get choke bass out of a classical, but the upper end is hard for good tone production.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  11:27:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Since this isn't a Kanikapila topic, I've moved it to the General area. Hope everyone can still find it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  11:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Mahalo Reid for the nylon string info...I find the "tension is your friend" quote quite amusing.
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  10:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
If you are gigging all the time...even at home, I would prefer the Elixir strings...for concert quality, go with John Pearse.

I gig 5 out of 7 days before...strings come and go especially when you are doing alternative tunings. The Exlirs by far have lasted two months with all the wear-n-tear at all my giggings. Most of the Brand Name strings don't last more than two weeks in my performances. Same with John Pearse strings...not good for giggings but great for special performances.

Just sharing...Donald Kauli'a

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  11:03:21 PM  Show Profile
After some experimentation, I used John Pearse strings exclusively for quite a while. On my Taylor 812-C, the PB lights work best while on my koa Takamine, the Hawaiian Slack Key set is better. I recently (a week ago) put a set of the Elixir Nanoweb strings on the Taylor and find that I still prefer the sound of the John Pearse strings, though by a small margin. But from what others have said, I expect them to last longer.

If you're interested in coated strings, this link <http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/coatstrngs.htm> contains a very thorough review of them by one person.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  02:25:11 AM  Show Profile
I've been using the Hense 150 High Tension Carbon Trebles almost exclusively for over a year and a half. (Classical guitar) They sound best on my guitar. Have excellent action without being too stiff. I play about 1 - 2 hours per day. Have a 2.5 hour gig on most Fridays and play about 2 parties per month - Typically I change every 2 - 3 weeks. Sometimes I play a repetoire that uses more energetic strumming - that's the 2 weeks. Otherwise 3 seem ok. Break in time is about 2 days for mostly in tune, 3 - 4 days for rock steady (except for temperature & humidity differences.) I've tried most of what I could find and I keep coming back to the Hense's
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  09:49:10 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

Raymond, just a thought on nylon strings. I've had great luck just changing the wound bass strings when putting on new strings. The E B G, nylon strings tend to last through 4 or 5 changes of bass strings. In fact, they tend to sound brighter and better as they get older, unlike steel or wound silver/silk cores.

Of course the down side is that the classical wound strings wear out much more quickly than any other type of strings.

I know a few manufacturers that sell strings as a 9 pack. A full set with 3 extra bass strings.

mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  5:23:43 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, Hense also sells basses & trebles seperately.
Thanks,
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  4:03:50 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Jon,
I'm not brand loyal yet, but I prefer light gauge strings because they "scritch scratch" less.

I'm not crazy about coated strings because they sound thuddy & muted, to me anyways. I know some people swear by 'em.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000