Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 string brand and gauge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  7:04:53 PM  Show Profile
It hasn't been all that long since we had this discussion...
string discussion

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

lexluthier
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  04:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit lexluthier's Homepage
Regarding string brand and guages, I prefer bronze wound, uncoated strings as do a majority of the customers I put strings on for. The coated vs uncoated debate really boils down to what you want - or don't want to hear. Coated strings, especially the heavier coated Elixers (Polyweb original) have less brightness right out of the box. The Nanoweb Elixers are brighter than the Polyweb - with a closer to uncoated sound. They hold brightness/overtones longer than uncoated strings, but as stated, they start off less bright. If you were to rate a bronze wound string (its brass really, has no bronze in it at all - its the color they are refering to) at 100% brightness when new, it might fall to ..say 75% after a week of playing. The Polyweb would start off at approx a 85% rating, and after a couple weeks still have an 80% rating. Also the heavier coated strings cut down on the finger-sliding noise, but you pay in terms of tone loss for this advantage. I like Martin SP medium guage bronze, or John Pearse mediums. D'Addario's are good also. I can't imagine wanting to use .010" thru .047" for slack key. That must sound like de-tuned rubber bands. If you tune down to C in the bass you almost have to have mediums (.013" - .056"). Otherwise your strings are just too floppy - and the tone sounds floppy too. Medium gauge strings, set up correctly, are just about as easy to play as lights, with less buzzing. The higher the tension, the lower you can set the strings before they start slapping the frets in front of your fingers. (Say that 5 times fast...) Also heavier gauge strings tune easier and stay that way better than lights. Extra lights (.010"s) are made for whimps or rock and rollers who want to bend up a third.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  11:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Anyone ever tried Mediums (any brand) on a RainSong? I like medium Elixirs (Nanoweb)- I use them on a Taylor Koa Dread, but Rainsong "suggests" lights. I've tried mediums on the base strings, and mediums on the 1 and 2, but never together and I've not tried all mediums. I'm a hack and I don't want to mess up a $1700 guitar. Any suggestions from the pros?
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  2:57:49 PM  Show Profile
This site has some very interesting information on strings, string materials, string construction, string sound, stringing up, etc.
www.stringitup.com/strinan101.html

They even sell strings, but I don't have any opinion on them as a mail order source, pro or con.
Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  4:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address
Since this wasn't mentioned in the other thread on strings either, I thought I would throw this out. It may be obvious, or maybe not.

Unless you try a new set of strings, play it for a few hours and then try another set, comparisons of one string vs. another may not be very useful. If I play a set until they need replacing and compare on that basis, the new strings will nearly always sound better. The feel is often different, also, presumably from the effects of work-hardening, stretching, surface wear, and who know how many other things that affect the elasticity, stiffness, etc.

I have experimented some with custom sets on my steel string guitars, primarily to improve the sound of my instruments in C tunings. I have benefitted from using the D'Addario Tension Chart as a guide. It provides information on the string tension generated at a specific scale length (25.4"), string diameters and pitches. It includes the formulas to derive the tension and tables of tensions for D'Addario strings. I have inferred the tension on their Ph-Br to be reasonably similar to Pearse and other manufacturers.

To make it easier to understand the impact of variations, I created a spreadsheet that allows me to plug in the tuning and then monkey with different diameters to achieve specific tensions. It doesn't solve all your problems for string choice, as there are many apparent anomalies in standard sets but it is quite useful as a learning tool and gives you something measurable to help guide your experimentation. It is also useful in choosing strings that don't over-stress older instruments.

Obviously, the way your guitar sounds to you and your audience and the way it feels are the most important measure, but this approach provides one way to get there in a little more direct fashion.

The chart isn't easy to find on their website, so I have included the link here. This is not a recommendation to use D'Addario strings, but useful info I haven't found elsewhere.
http://www.daddariostrings.com/img/Tension_chart.pdf

Jim

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  5:03:22 PM  Show Profile
Terry,

You could probably use mediums - but If it was me, I would only tune to F or even E rather than G just to reduce the total tension of the mediums. It might sound really awsome.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 08/25/2003 5:04:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  12:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Jim,

Aloha to you.

Just curious. What are you using on your tricone? String wise.
I've a 33 Style O and am using light D'Addario sets on that. I've an original cone so dont wanna smash it. I have a National Resophonic 99 model Style O, obviously new, that I can use much heavier strings on. Of course, they're both round necks.

Slack key on these metal guitars are simply awe inspiring.

Of course we Fergusons know the guitar of choice for Hawaiian music
:)

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  6:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address
Hi Mike,
quote:
Just curious. What are you using on your tricone? String wise.

I have been using Pearse Ph-Br for quite awhile on both my Dobro and National. A good friend that has played lap and pedal steel professionally for decades recommends them. He is currently using .068, .048, .034, .026, .022, .017 on his 1928 tricone. He claims to have had no problems, even with the large bass string.

The sizes on my National, currently, for open E (which I tune down to Taropatch sometimes) are .058, .045, .035, .026, .018, .016. I am using what I believe to be the original cones and haven't had any problems.

I am less sure what would be appropriate for a biscuit-type resonator setup, but generally, I think you can get away with higher tensions from the heavier strings on resonator guitars due to the use of a tailpiece and a fairly shallow break angle on the bridge.

Jim

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page

Lanakala
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  3:35:21 PM  Show Profile
Jus press da damn strings. geez.

Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  7:54:31 PM  Show Profile
Lanakala,

The infinite minutia of string guage, tension, price, and tonal clarity are some of the known universe's greatest mysteries.

Things like this add endless discussion over scientific fact/fiction, preferences, likes, and slants.

It occasionally adds some useful information, but besides that....it's just fun!

We will all continue to just 'press the damn strings' of course, but we will be pressing with newly enlightened minds.

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2003 :  11:33:33 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Folks;
I got a couple of sets of D'Addario lights but they're like other brands mediums I think as the top E is an .012. They're phosphor bronze and I look forward to trying them. My brother in law who owns a vintage guitar store in San Francisco and was the one who gave me the guitar said he thinks they were the strings that he put on them originally which I liked so much. I'll let you all know how they work out and mahalo for all the great feedback on my querry.
Jon

Go to Top of Page

Lanakala
Aloha

12 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  12:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Piffle, No AAACK!! I like to keep it simple is all. Star Trek convention in town??

Keep it up, ya make me laugh.

press on bro...

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  03:06:57 AM  Show Profile
It strikes me as interesting that discussion can go on and on about diameters and coating, but when it comes to musical theory -- somehow folks find it arcane and useless. To me it seems at least as important, if not more so, to have a sense of which notes to press than a knowledge of the physics of the strings that you press to get the notes.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  03:43:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Raymond, that's because if you select just the right set of strings you can play like a master without having to practice or know anything about theory.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  11:35:07 AM  Show Profile
Man, I love you guys. You give me something to laugh about at the same time you give me something to think about.

Mahalo,

Reid
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000