Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 string brand and gauge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

OglavyandTuglavy
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  3:03:05 PM  Show Profile
I love the Martin SP+. I like the John Pearse also although the Martins last longer.

Regarding 12-strings, does anyone know where I can find a 12-string set that isn't light guage? I really don't like the light guage strings (especially for slack key). I know the lighter guage is in part compensation for the added string tension of having double the strings but I'm used to playing 13's and I would hate to have to switch to 10's or 11's to play 12-string. I would greatly appreciate any info on string sets of this guage. I'm more interested in the guage right now instead of brand since they are so hard to come by.

Thanks alot,
Nick
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2003 :  4:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Hey Piffle, Taropatch's own of "He Mele A Kahi Haole I Kaleponi" fame ....... nice try brother!!! It's a shame that you would get blindsided for your effort. Aloha!!
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  7:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
Happiness is the second day of new strings

Bing
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  03:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
No, happiness is the day before you put them on, when visions of how much they'll improve the sound of your playing still dance in your head.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  8:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Happiness is being a kid Longing for that David Nuuhiwa noserider, wanting that magic nose time only possible because of mystical voodoo in the hands of Bing. My heart pounded with anticipation while doing kid things to raise the money. I loved that board!!!! Think I sold it for a Phil Edwards Hobie and then a Greg Noll "Da Cat" (rip Mickey). For me, new strings are not Quite this exciting, unless are sizzling with magic.

Aloha Bing, it's really nice to see you here.
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  09:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Hey I'm curious...any of you guys ever used LaBella Strings..if so, what do yo think of them???

Patrick
www.patricklandeza.com

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  11:09:17 AM  Show Profile
I used La Bella's years ago on my Martin nylon string guitar. I thought quite highly of them but I'm sure the technology has changed since then.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  11:24:08 AM  Show Profile
I used La Bella's 2001 strings last year or the year before, I think that's the model name, that were sent as a bonus for a magazine subscription. After I strung the guitar up, I nearly ripped them off again they sounded so muffled! I couldn't believe the mag (Guitart) would be sending out anything so bad, so I left them on. Next day they were quite nice, so if you try them, give them a bit of time. I don't recall any other specifics, not even if I used them in slack or tight key tunings.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  11:39:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
I have a question. When putting a new set of strings on is it better to change all the strings at once or to change them one at a time?

Also, when bringing the string up to pitch, is it better to do it slowly to allow the string to stretch as you go?

Maybe Steve will jump in here since I'm talking about one of his beautiful creations.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  1:46:52 PM  Show Profile
Lots of conflicting opinions here, even among luthiers. I prefer to change all for convenience, as a chance to wipe down the fretboard, etc.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  2:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
From a non-expert:

I usually change 2 strings at a time. My logic is to maintain some tension on the neck. Removing 2 strings also seems to allow for enough space for a decent cleaning.

Do steel strings stretch? Much? I always assumed not much stretching although there is time needed to get rid of any slack at the tuner end. I just make sure that I do not bring the string up to pitch too quickly because sometimes the string will break.

So who out there really knows what they're talking about?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  3:37:24 PM  Show Profile
When I purchased my guitar, instructions that came with the guitar said to change one string at a time which I have been doing. I do like your suggestions of changing two at a time to provide some working space between the strings.

A friend of my removes all the strings, cleans the fret board, sound board etc... so far no problems with his guitars.

Here are two URLs... that might be interesting:

www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/Stringing/ststringing1.html

http://www.allsands.com/Music/Instruments/changingguitar_sro_gn.htm

Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  3:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Thanks guys..I was curious to see what you thought..

patrick

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  11:25:29 PM  Show Profile
I used La Bella nylons for quite a while - 2 - 3 day break in period for me - sounded ok on an entry level guitar. When I got a better guitar, they didn't sound as good -- then I found Hense, (High tension, carbon trebles) and wouldn't even think of using anything else since then.

That said -- anyone use the "artificial gut" strings - can't rem,ember label -- any results?

Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  11:51:53 PM  Show Profile
I have Aquila Nylguts on a Ramirez 4E. They're OK. I didn't notice anything remarkably good or bad about them. That may reflect my limitations, not the string's. (I also never heard the difference in Nylguts on a uke that many persons claim to hear.) I think they worked fine in Taropatch, but I had tuning all over the map, tuning down an extra step and then using a capo on the second fret to bring things back to Taropatch. Sort of crazy. Under those conditions I hit a bit of buzz. <ducking> I have the guitar back in tight key and everything is working fine.

Last year, on another forum, someone posted an a/b test of the same guitar with ? on it and then with Nylguts on it. Brand ? sounded fractionally better. I don't recall what the guitar was.

I keep reading posts from people who love brand Y strings on one of their classical guitars and can't stand them on a second guitar. Guitar #2 only responds to brand Z strings.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000