Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Leilehua at the Kope Kope
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2003 :  1:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
Aloha! Now that I'm back from Beamer-Mania (Aloha Music Camp), I'll be playing again at the Kope Kope each Thursday evening from 4pm to 6pm.

Kope Kope is Hilo's oldest espresso bar, and is in the Hilo Shopping Center (across from Helco). Jeanette has been a long time supporter of live local entertainment, so I like to encourage music lovers to support her, as well. Come on by!

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  08:53:29 AM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Leilehua,

Welcome to Taropatch! I wish I were in Hilo, but I'm not..........................

I'm nĂ¯ele....what kind of music do you play at Kope Kope?

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  11:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
E aloha Sarah -

Nice to meet you!

What kind if guitar are you playing in your photo? I can't tell from the image.

At Kope Kope, I play what I call "Paniola Blend," a mix of traditional and contemporarty Hawaiian, Country, and Bluegrass, with a little Blues and Jazz thrown in for flavor.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  08:44:01 AM  Show Profile
Cool! It looked like you were holding an archtop in your picture!

The guitar I am holding in my picture is a koa/cedar parlor guitar. Kinda small, with an old-time shape. It loves G wahine tuning!

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  08:56:57 AM  Show Profile
Sarah, is that the Mauel or Kamaiki? I think the latter - the bridge looks straight and it looks like a 12 fretter Flammang.

Your guitar supplier...

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 08/19/2003 09:01:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  11:11:34 AM  Show Profile
oooooops! You are right, Reid, it *is* Kamaiki. Sorry, Leilehua!

Still koa, still a parlor size.... a friend's guitar, though, not mine and not the one I was thinking of that likes G wahine oops

It's a gem of a little guitar, though, and is a 12-fret koa Flammang. Come to think of it, that was why we had pix taken that day: our friend was over for a visit and brought his little digital camera!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  1:21:01 PM  Show Profile
We are the hanai parents of this little wonder; Sarah named it when we had it for about 6 months, and it comes to stay with us 2 or 3 times a year, for a couple of weeks each time. It is living proof that, if made right, a small guitar can have the volume, bass, resonance and balance of a guitar that is much bigger. It is only 12 1/2 inches wide at the lower bout. Luthier David Flammang made it about 8 or 9 years ago. It has been recorded, and has been played by pros at concerts. Tommy Emmanuel, dubbed Certified Guitar Player by Chet Atkins, lusts for it, but our friend won't let him have it. Giant Killer.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

finemc28
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  7:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Send finemc28 an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Sarah, is that the Mauel or Kamaiki? I think the latter - the bridge looks straight and it looks like a 12 fretter Flammang.

Your guitar supplier...

...Reid

Sarah,

This is really a small world. I attended the Healdsburg Guitar Festival this last weekend (had to since I live nearby). I talked to several Luthiers about slack key and tried several guitars. The one that stood out the most was Hank Mauel's (www.mauelguitars.com). I played an amazing little guitar based on the Martin New Yorker that worked very well in taro patch tuning.

When I asked about any customers that play slack key he mentioned a couple in the North East. Based on what I have been reading about you on this message board I guessed it was you.

I'm still thinking about that guitar. Hmmmmm

Hope to see you play sometime.

Best regards,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  09:25:34 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e finemc28,

Yes, could definitely be us. We now have 2 Mauels, both parlors. Mine is several years old, and the new "used" one is ... a year old I think. Reid is the possessor of all the guitar facts

Hank does excellent work. We love the instruments. My koa/cedar Mauel parlor was special-built to have 14 frets to the body. Hank coordinated the detailing colors beautifully with the natural colors of the woods - pink and maroon with the warm cedar. And as I said, the guitar loves G Wahine. I keep it almost exclusively in that tuning because of that. And, from its sound, you'd never guess it was a small guitar. Sounds "big". I named it Keikikoa for its size, wood, and courage!

Reid can tell you all about his new little Mauel which he bought used - but barely used. It's a 12-fretter.

We went to the Healdsburg show once, a few years ago, and saw Hank and his wife, and Lance and Dawn, and Harv, and a bunch of folks, and even got a lesson from Buster B ... it was a great day of guitars. I liked that you could play any kine you wanted!

aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  10:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi leilehua!

i just wanted to say what a pleasure it was to meet you at kalani! i think that your idea of the crafts tent for molokai is great.

a hui hou,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000