Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Another commercial using Bruddah Iz
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

etakushi
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  09:10:00 AM  Show Profile
How cool! I was watching the X Games on ESPN last night when a Sony commercial came on with Bruddah Iz's rendition of "Henehene Kou 'Aka" as the backing track. Yah! Another Iz tune is getting "air play" and "spreading the gospel of Iz" :)

~ eric

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  1:41:11 PM  Show Profile
I am not so sure how I feel about all of this. Of course, the estate (whoever that is) gets the $$, I *think* - maybe the label gets it. BUT, it would have *really* been wonderful if all this had happened when Iz was alive. Then, nobody on the mainland (except a few of us) knew he existed. There is something upsetting about posthumous fame. Not that it is uncommon in art. Sad, though.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 08/21/2003 8:52:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

etakushi
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  08:36:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I agree 100% that it would've been really wonderful if this happened during Iz's lifetime. Still, I think I'm glad that those who've only heard "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" now have an opportunity to learn that Iz is so much more than a "one hit wonder". Know what I mean?

~ eric
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  3:49:12 PM  Show Profile
I'v met several people who heard an Iz sound bite somewhere (commercial, TV show, etc) and tracked down the music and then bought the CDs. So, Iz isn't (sorry) a one-hit wonder for them anymore.

I suspect that from Iz they may graduate to Keola, Ozzie, Dennis, George...and so it goes.

Puna
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  11:32:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
No offense to Keola, Ozzie, et al but I don't consider them a step up from Iz, more like a step sideways.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  4:09:53 PM  Show Profile
"Graduate - to mark with degrees for measuring; a gradual change by stages" (from Webster's New World Dictionary)"

I agree with you, Craig - simply a different style. I don't consider any artist to be a step up from another. Each artist deeply touches someone's life. Whether Iz leads to Ozzie Kotani or Ozzy Ozbourne is not relevant, nor does it imply that the listener has 'improved' their tastes in music. I only meant that Iz did and still does open new doors for people.

Puna
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000