Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 guitar recomendation
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  2:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Kawika, you evil guy, you. "Both" is the real answer, as long as we are dreaming.

But, I have heard and played the nicest sounding nylon stringed guitar ever - at the first Aloha Music Camp, and it was John Trino's flamed koa Grimes "Beamer". Incredible guitar. I think the top was cedar, but it has been a couple of years, so don't quote me. It was medium sized, as I recall; about 14 - 14 1/2 inch wide lower bout. We were sitting behind Keola at the student "concert" and he rose in his seat when John started playing it - true :-) Rumour has it that a buy offer was made on that guitar. And declined.

Although we have a guitar with a cutaway, I have never really found it necessary, and since that seems the real reason for the Hapa, I would pass on it.

BTW, is this question really theoretical or are you getting itchy?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  9:17:15 PM  Show Profile
I suppose I could do without the cut away even though I am used to playing one. The "Beamer" nylon model is a really awesome guitar. I am considering having Steve make a guitar for me, even though I don't deserve such a quality instrument. The anticipation of owning one should be very inspirational.

*Kawika
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  9:30:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I don't deserve any of the guitars I own! But, to paraphrase a Jack Nicholson line from As Good As It Gets, they make me want to be a better player.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  09:28:43 AM  Show Profile
Craig is right, David - by some calculus that says that a person should only be a good player, I shouldn't have any guitars at all. But, one of the things you said is right: it will be inspirational. The process of working together with a true artist to create a work of art is an exceptional experience. You will discuss your aims, needs and desires with him, you will choose the sets of wood with him, you will help him determine the size and shape of the neck, the string spacing at bridge and nut, and some more neat details. Then, you can visit him at important milestones during its creation and see how he goes about the act of creation. You get a front row seat during the whole process. Then, the sculpture that results is all yours.

If you are going to do this, remember Steve's lead time - last time I looked, it was about 6 years. This is both good and bad. Good, because it makes paying for the process easier (you can save and budget as if on an installment plan and it is relatively painless) and it provides lots of time for consideration of your needs and you get to have some boost from the anticipation. But, if you are antsy, it can be pretty nerve wracking to wait.

Once you decide, put down the relatively small amount, that preserves your position in line, as soon as possible. Then sit back and enjoy.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  2:44:40 PM  Show Profile
Don'tknow how up-to-date Steve's website is, but it reads

*The approximate waiting period for an instrument at this time is 30 - 36 months unless other time frame, such as in the case of a highly customized or inlaid instrument, is arranged.*
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  3:46:22 PM  Show Profile
Duke, that's good. That's loads better than what I thought.

Now, that is just one more reason (because it is a reasonable, medium-scale, time frame) that Kawika should give Steve a retainer and get in line. If we can convince him to do this, then we get to vicariously enjoy his experience and even get to play the guitar when we visit him. Never one to be totally altruistic, you see.

So, let's plot more reasons. I can think of some financial ones right off the bat. 1. The sooner the deposit is made, the lower the locked-in price is. Steve, like all luthiers, must raise prices approximately annually. So, David, you save some money by doing it now. 2. The corollary is that, if you had too, you could sell your new guitar immediately for more than you paid for it - in addition to the yearly increases, you can charge a premium for eliminating the wait time for the prospective buyer. 3. (And, luthiers *hate* this one as you might imagine, but I know of cases where it has occurred. So, since you are a noble guy you won't do this, but...) The build slot for highly sought after guitars, with long lead times, is a negotiable instrument. That is, people have been known to pay the deposit to get the slot(s) and then sell the slots, in the same way as a "future", and it appreciates in value as time goes on. (I also know of a case where the aggrieved luthier made life very difficult for the speculator, in a quiet, but effective way.) Although you won't do this, it is evidence of the concrete value getting a build slot with Steve.

No way you can lose. You have a wonderful guitar you love, or if your economic fortunes decline (which, God forbid) you make money.

OK folks, pile on Kawika. Make him do the right thing that will make fun for us all.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  5:08:09 PM  Show Profile
ey Kawika,

Best wishes to you on ordering a Grimes. I had the fortune of meeting Steve
a few months ago at his shop in Kula- very nice guy! Was able to play a keola steel string and it was fabulous. His workmanship is first class!

The bug to commisioning a luthier sorta faded as we returned from Maui and
work and other things kept things busy.

I thought that the desire to buy a high end boutique guitar was out of my system but then attended the Healdsburg Acoustic guitar festival last week and the fever returned.

Ended up falling in love with a Kevin Ryan Mission Grand Concert guitar (cedar top with rosewood back and sides) and purchased it. A new order would be a 36-48 month wait like Steves guitars but this Ryan at the show seemed destined for me- the tone and feel
was what I was looking for- besides I have no delay gratification ;^)

Just my opinion but there is no such thing as " being deserving of a guitar". If it makes you feel good , Go for it!

Good luck to you!

enrico

Go to Top of Page

John
`Olu`olu

656 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  10:48:29 PM  Show Profile
Did I ask for opinions ?? Oh yeah, I guess I did. Mahalo everybody. Steve did tell me he wants to slow down and not work so hard. He is said he wants to be allowed 5 years to complete a guitar. It sounds like a long time, but good things are worth waiting for.....

*Kawika
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  04:41:49 AM  Show Profile
Meanwhile, Kawika, you could get to be REALLY good by the time you get that Grimes! I can only dream. I can't play any of those big gorgeous instruments, my body is too old, my arm too short, my neck too crooked, my back too sore. (Too many car accidents!)I have to be satisfied with miniature versions which I can actually hold...
Sigh. Julie
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  10:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Julie, Steve makes a parlor-sized guitar too (the "Tiny Grimes"), as well as a baritone uke...see the bottom of the following page:

http://www.grimesguitars.com/ltd_models.html

Now you have no excuse! (Except mine...a bank account that refuses to cooperate.)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/27/2003 10:55:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

ncwdjs
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  9:47:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kawika

I have a theoretical question I would like to hear some opinions on. If you had to choose between these two guitars which one would you choose to own and why? A Grimes "Beamer" nylon or a Grimes "Hapa" nylon ? Also what type wood for the body and top ?

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  03:51:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
ncwdjs, are you trying to point out that we got off topic?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  9:31:49 PM  Show Profile
RJS:

I really like what you said about "spend more time and effort getting good technique and the right feeling, and not so much on the guitar - Use your extra $$ to get some lesons from a good teacher". Someone once told me almost exactly the same thing about golf. Either way, I think that's great advice! Trouble is, out here in Olympia, Washington it's a little difficult to find a good teacher. I'm hoping for at least a good workshop somewhere near here again soon. I missed the Portland workshop with Mark Hanson recently because we were away.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2003 :  10:18:22 PM  Show Profile
John,
I had the problem of finding a teacher some years ago. I combined vacation time and "teacher location" - and it turned out to be one of the high points of my life. I figured out with whom I wanted to study - got in touch with him and arranged for 6 hours of lessons. We vacationed in the area in which this person lives (didn't hurt that it was in Hawai'i.) The five days in Hawaii cost me less than half of what attending one of the camp type of things did, plus it got me individual lessons which I recorded and learned from over the next few months. On top of that my wife and I had a great vacation.
While this might not be everybody's "cup of tea," I cannot say how profound an inpact it had on me and my playing -

In addition, if you choose to study with someone down the coast, you can get a couple of hours of lessons on a Sat or Sun, and get a pretty cheap airfair if you watch for discounts. "Buddying" with someone in the area of the teacher can help with a shuttle to and from the airport, as well as lower the cost of the lesson.

Note: When I have done this, I offered the teacher double of what he or she normally charged, because cutting out a large chunk of time on a weekend is usually difficult for anyone to do. It was my way of showing respect -- and the learning that happened was more than worth the money.

I guess what I'm saying is that if anyone really wants to get some quality lesson time in, and if you've got a job with a half-decent income, it's not that hard or expensive.

Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000