Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 he punahele
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  3:32:27 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have tab they could share to He Punahele

Steve

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  11:18:39 PM  Show Profile
If you mean Ray Kane's He Punahele (as opposed to Keola's arrangement of a song he calls He Punahele in his instructional video and He Punahele No Oe on one of his CDs -- they're both the same song), Ray Kane's He Punahele can be found in Mark Hanson's book: http://www.accentonmusic.com/book_detail.asp?qID=26

Duke
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2003 :  11:45:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
It's also available from www.stropes.com individidually (in a very thorough treatment).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile
Craig is right, but actually not forceful enough :-) about Stropes. Stropes has the *exact* note for note (including performance errors - true) of recordings of Punahele and Moe `Uhane by Sonny. In Punahele, their version has an important vamp that is not even in Hanson's version. In addition, there are many more sections of variations that Ray did and Stropes included them all. Hanson just gives you the basic flavor - which is OK, but it ain't Ray (or Sonny). An amusing one in Moe `Uhane is where Sonny blew a note and Stropes diplomaticaly notates it as "muted". In addition Ozzie told me that Sonny never would have used the fingering that Hanson repeatedly has as an 8th fret, second string G note. Stropes has it properly on the 5th fret 1st string, except in a variation that Sonny used in one section. Including a very different treatment of a series of brushes followed by a bass thumb note (which Sonny did too fast to discern on the recording). Stropes also has all the little variation tricks that Sonny used in what is really, otherwise, sort of repetitive. Hanson doesn't and, so, it is much simpler and sort of boring.

Stropes is expensive, but worth every penny.

My NSHO,

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 12/07/2003 12:33:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  11:35:02 AM  Show Profile
steve and everybody,
if we're talking about the same song (i think we are), my favorite version is ray kanes version (the one in his 1970s album and instruction with tabs book). i have a copy of this and i could make a copy of punahele. let me know....sorry i don't know how to print it out on a web site, so snail mail's the only way.

b3d
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  12:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I do not think you guys are talking about the same song, but I'm not sure which one sbar15 is looking for.

To me, Punahele is one of Uncle Ray's most famous originals and different from the He Punahele that Keola Beamer has recorded. Assuming that sbar15 is looking for the latter, I suggest contacting Keola or Meg Lawson at orders @ kbeamer.com. I think this song has been distributed at workshops so you may be able to purchase a copy from Keola directly.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  12:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sorry, I didn't read the original post closely enough...He Punahele is available on Keola's Homespun video, which also includes the tab. Ray's song is Punahele (A Favorite), not He Punahele (The Favored Child).

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 12/08/2003 1:03:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  2:48:50 PM  Show Profile
I was looking for Ray's Punahele my mistake with the typing.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2003 :  7:22:55 PM  Show Profile
hey steve,
didn't you see what i wrote? i have ray kanes tabs for ray kanes punahele......want a copy?
b3d

b3d
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  1:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Steve, consider supporting the artist by either purchasing a copy of Hanson's book or a copy of the tab from Stropes. I've spoken to the Kanes in the past and they are very much against people making copies of Uncle Ray's work without their permission.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 12/09/2003 7:15:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  6:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Craig for mentioning that.

Punahele is played in double slack tuning. It's taro patch tuning with the 3rd string tuned down to F#. Try that while playing along with a recording. And you can't go wrong with either the Hanson book or Stropes sheet music. Good luck!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  8:11:32 PM  Show Profile
craig,
Thanks and a good point I did not think it was printed.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2003 :  8:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
No worries.

Craig
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000