Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Raymond Stovich's CD release - "Mai Ku`u World"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  09:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Congratulations to Raymond Stovich, aka RJS, who just recorded his first CD titled Mai Ku`u World.

Track listing:
1. Johnny’s Bounce, R.J. Stovich
2. Maori Brown Eyes, C. Malani & J. Noble
3 – 6 San Jose Suite (for Linda) R.J. Stovich
3. Prologue
4. Part I
5. Part II
6. Part III
7. Ho’okupu Kamapua’a, G. Kahumoku, jr.
George Kahumoku, jr, vocal & lead
R.J. Stovich, guitar
8. The Queen’s Jubilee, H.R.H. Lydia Lili’uokalani
9. Dos Arbolitos, C.G. Martinez
10. Ku’u Lei Awapuhi, E. Taylor
11. When I Think Of You, L. Kalima
12. 2 A.M. Slack, R.J. Stovich
13. Somewhere Over The Rainbow. H. Arlen & E. Harburg
14. Polish Hymn, (Serdeczna Matko) Traditional

You may buy and find additional information about this CD (including sample mp3s) at http://home.netcom.com/~lsrs.

Andy

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  11:54:08 AM  Show Profile
Great, Raymond! From what you said earlier, you must have put a lot of your life into it.

One question (there will probably be others, later :-): how did you deal with copyright and royalty issues for those songs that are not originals? I know there is a clearing house, but not all pieces are registered with them. I am particularly interested in Lili`u's piece, because the Queen Lili`uokalani Foundation holds the copyrights on most, if not all, the songs and lyrics, and they are tough to deal with (they really guard her reputation fiercely).

...Reid

BTW, can we say we knew you when...:-)

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  6:34:46 PM  Show Profile
Reid - This is a short run, so the Fox Agency wouldn't even handle it. George's Kamapu'u - got permission from George directly. (Nice being his student.) "When I Think of You" - sent check to Na Leo/Kalima. All the others went through a clearing house that charges a bit to handle less than 1,000 piece royalties. I can get you their address if you want. As to The Queen's Jubillee. I'm trusting George on this one - but I also had an intellectual property attorney give an "informal" opinion. LL used an old hymn and wrote her own words. The hymn has passed into common domain (that much I know is fact.) The Foundation controls the copyright to the words, none of which are found in my version or the liner. I did my own arrangement of the song. So, both George and my attorney friend are of the opinion that I am free to record the music without the permission of the Foundation.
Interestingly, my attorney friend says that the laws partaining to mechanical reproduction, which is what applies here, are written to ensure that the owner of the copyright gets credit and payment. According to my attorney friend, the owner is not allowed to block the recording of a song if the person recording pays the mechanical royalties. Apparently there have been court rulings supporting that interpretation - including some very famous songwriters not liking the style or interpretation of the person/group recording. While taking on the Foundation may cause bad blood, according to my attorney friend they are skating on very thin legal ice. I'm not a lawyer, just have one for a friend.

Raymond

Edited by - RJS on 08/23/2003 6:40:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  9:04:20 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Raymond,

Forgot to say that you are one of the few people that will cause us to write a snail mail check for an art work. (Too used to 800 numbers and VISA cards.) Expect it.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  12:58:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
A lawyer friend? Isn't that an oxymoron? (Just kidding.) Anyway, woo-hoo Raymond...WTG! The samples sound great. My check is in the mail (seriously).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 08/25/2003 3:47:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  02:09:53 AM  Show Profile
Reid,
I looked into trying to get Visa or somesuch scheme, but they all cost too much and I just don't think I'm going to sell enough albums to break even. Actually, I couldn't even afford this project but someone I helped big time about a year ago heard I was doing this and offered significant kokua.

Reid and Craig - thanks for the vote of support. When I listen to the final project I have some mixed feelings - there are just places I would like to go in and fix things, but, as I've said before, I don't want to get involved in a lot of digital editing. Thant may change in the future. What's on the CD in one case (Maori) is the first and only take. Mostly I did 5 - 6 takes and selected the best one.

To all Taro Patch.net'ers - I know that fellow musicians are more critical than most listeners. If any of you buy the CD and don't find it to your standards, I will refund $10.00 of the purchase price, as long as you guarantee that you have not copied it. I don't think I'll be taken up on this offer - but it does stand. Just use my Taropatch.net link to contact me.

This has been one of the most interesting experiences in the last couple of years - I think I'm going to try to write an article about it.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  7:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Raymond, did you consider using PayPal to accept credit cards?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  9:22:50 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
Thought about it but for multiple reasons decided not to.
Comfort level.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  09:57:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Wayne Harada reviewed Raymond's CD in the Honolulu Advertiser. Congrats Raymond!

"MAI KU'U WORLD (Slack key stylings" by R. J. Stovich; Mele O Ka Pu'uwai Records

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2003 :  3:10:17 PM  Show Profile
Andy, thanks for the mention of Wayne Harrada's review.
Linda and I were having a "farewell brunch" on the terrace at the Moana Surfrider when she passed me the review - best dessert ever.

Since Wayne's columns ae not archived, I placed a copy of the review on my website for the CD. http://home.netcom.com/~lsrs

Raymond
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000