Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Dennis Kamakahi - The Gift of Music
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  12:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Dennis Kamakahi with David Kamakahi on ukulele
The Gift of Music – From Father to Son
Dennis Kamakahi Productions 2003

This is a fantastic album. For one, it is a beautiful example of how slack key guitar and `ukulele can compliment each other. Wonderful arrangements.

As Kawika pointed out in another post, each song is preceded by a narrative telling the listener about the song. It provides non-Hawaiian speakers (most of us, dare I say, sadly nearly all of us) with additional insight into each track.

What can be said about Dennis Kamakahi? He is one of Hawai`i's most prolific composers, a slack key artist and vocalist with over 400 songs to his credit. Many of his compositions are classics: Pua Hone, Wahine `Ilikea, Koke`e, E Hihiwai, Golden Stallion, Kou Aloha Mau A Mau, just to name a few.

All `ukulele fans should take note. David Kamakahi is a 22 year old `ukulele virtuoso who studied with Eddie Kamae. Each time I see David perform, he never ceases to amaze me as both an instrumentalist and vocalist. While this album certainly is a gift of music from father to son, I cannot help but think that it has to be a two way street. With each `ukulele solo or interplay with Dennis's guitar, the listener senses a mutual gift returned from son to father also.

This CD features three Dennis Kamakahi compositions that have never been released. Ku`u Lei Papahi (my decorative lei) was written for his home in Aliamanu. Ka Loke `Ula Lahilahi (the delicate red rose) was written in Santa Cruz, CA while Dennis visited there. Dream Lady is a folk number written for a girlfriend long before his marriage to his wife Robin who became the inspiration of his song Pua Hone.

Look for this CD in limited quantities in music stores this month, but otherwise, exclusively at live slack key concerts. For more details including song lyrics, visit http://www.denniskamakahiproductions.com

Andy

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2003 :  7:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Andy!
You say that the narratives give those who don't speak 'olelo hawai'i an insight, but for those of us who are scratching at the surface (me) as well as native speakers, it also provides a context, history, color and associations that even a fluent speaker could not devine from the song alone.
The songs are so beautiful, and these narratives are the "icing on da cake". They're perhaps as important as the songs themselves to archive this rich, living music for prosperity.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2003 :  3:46:42 PM  Show Profile
I really like this album, not only for the wonderful Kamakahi sound and Dennis's new songs, but I greatly appreciate the narrative intros that Dennis is so good at doing!

He does this in concert, too, and it is really enagaging, whether you know the song or not. On the album, it strikes me also as historically important, a passing on of information and tradition: finally getting down these commentaries that normally are only heard live by those who manage to get to a concert or a backyard...

Maybe it's part of a new recording trend... as George K also has a recent CD with talkstory intros ("Footprints").

-Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000