Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 The Kamakahi's featured in Lilo and Stitch II
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  12:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I read this at Dennis's website. Very cool! Congrats!
quote:
Father and Son Duo - Dennis and David Kamakahi - to be featured on the soundtrack for the Walt Disney Animated film sequel - LILO and STICH II - to be released in 2006. Both are now members of SAG (Screen Actors Guild) and will be featured on the movie's theme song.

Dennis and David would like to thank the Disney animated film directors and music department for inviting us into the Disney Family.

Mahalo
On a side note, I'm excited that Dennis is posting here. Perhaps, he can tell us more about this. Also, I have Dennis's latest CD and have been meaning to review it for weeks now! I'm so slow. I'll try to post by the end of the week.

Andy

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  4:10:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
Aloha Andy,

It was quite a surprise to receive a phone call from the Walt Disney Studio Music Department on the day before David and I embarked on the Hawaiian Music Next Generation tour in Aug. At first, I thought it was a prank being played until I noticed my caller id had the area code 818 from the Burbank area. Then I knew it was for real.

If you enjoyed the first Lilo and Stich movie you'll love the sequel even more because it places Lilo entirely in Hawaii, no outter space journies. Of course, due to the confidential matter in our contracts having to do with revealing the plot of the second movie, I can tell you that it does have an awesome storyline and I can attest that it will appeal to every age group.

The main them song of the animated movie, which I translated into Hawaiian and which David and I have recorded, was written by Jeanine Tesori (Tony award winner Broadway composer) / Alexa Junge (writer on Friends, Sex and The City, and West Wing). It has a catchy melody and was perfectly written to fit our slack key style. It was quite exciting to see the directors and music staff sit in the studio while David and I worked out a Slack Key arrangement to fit our style. I was quite nervous, this being a huge project in its beginning stage, but at the same time quite excited to see the exchange of ideas as we laid down the vocal tracks after recording the guitar and uke tracks prior.

When we were done recording, the directors and music staff gave David and I a standing ovation which caught me by surprize not being use to having an audience while recording. I was just floored when the supervisor of the music department directed the arranger to scrap the big symphonic ending of the movie and build it around our simple slack key / uke arrangement, in the style of 'Ulili E from our 'Ohana CD, that David and I had just worked on the day before our session. I was just speechless.

At this point, I still gotta pinch myself to make sure this is all real. I'm just glad that they're really concerned about the authenticity of the music and storyline. They (the Disney Staff) want it to be as Hawaiian as possible. And with that, I'm very happy. So, that's where it stands at this point. I'm also a Hawaiian music consultant on this project and will see this project in various stages until it's completion. And that's the scoop at this time.

I know this is pretty generic information, but I do respect the confidential clauses that are contained in our contract and hope everyone will understand why it is so general.

Aloha,
Dennis
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  4:34:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by naukilo

I know this is pretty generic information, but I do respect the confidential clauses that are contained in our contract and hope everyone will understand why it is so general.
Nah, not generic at all. The whole thing is a real big deal and I appreciate you sharing your experience with us!

As a viewer it is nice to know that Disney is focused on respecting the Hawaiian culture by keeping things authentic. As a slack key fan, I'm stoked knowing that there will be slack key guitar & `ukulele, that you're the consultant and that slack key will have some mainstream exposure (Disney style).

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  10:43:48 PM  Show Profile
This news warms my heart.

When I first heard the song Ulili'E (on a Beamer Brothers recording) it was instantly one of my favorites. Later, on Dennis and David's O'hana release, (in my mind) it was taken to a whole new level. This is one of my absolute most favorite recordings and Cynthia and I are working hard on playing a version based on your Kamakahi arrangement.

I know that this Lilo & Stitch tune is not quite the same, but I can already imagine what it will sound like and this makes me very happy. I predict very good results for the soundtrack album, unless, of course some "producer" at Disney messes around with it too much.

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000