Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Elmer Lim Punahoa Special Intro
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gypsysoul
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2003 :  01:05:45 AM  Show Profile
On the CD "Slack Key Tradition", Elmer "Sonny" Lim Jr performs "Punahoa Special". Tunings are not listed in the CD liner, but I was able to figure out a tuning for the main part of the track: C major CGCGCE. However, that tuning doesn't seem to work for the intro. I've not been able to figure out any tuning that works for that intro - unless I had 8 strings to work with. To play the chords it sounds like the tuning has to be very close.

That intro is one of the sweetest progressions I've heard anywhere so I really want to figure out this tuning.

On the web at www.Mele.com I was able to find some older albums and a few new CD's that feature Lim, but none other than the one I mentioned above have Punahoa Special. But there were samples of some of Lim's other work at that site and the slack key numbers (he also does ukelele and nice vocals) sound like the real old style. Some of his work is on CD's released in 2000-2001 so hopefully he is still around and doing fine.

Aloha to all out there, I just found this site and its number one.

Doug
Mountain View CA

doug

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  12:26:41 AM  Show Profile
Sonny is definitely still around -- and playing regularly on the leeward side of Hawai`i with the Lim Family. He's one of the featured musicians on "Songs of the Hawaiian Cowboy: Na Mele O Paniolo", too:
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/1103.htm

And I just picked up a copy of Uncle George Naope's new self-produced CD at Borders in Honolulu -- there's Sonny again!

He's an awesome guitarist...with a solo CD coming soon.

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2003 :  1:18:35 PM  Show Profile
Doug,

Are you sure that the C major / Open C tuning Sonny is using is CGCGCE? There are at least 2 others that are used: ECEGCE and CGEGCE (Atta's C). Since all 3 have GCE on the treble strings, maybe the difference in the intro is because the bass strings are different. Give them a try.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

gypsysoul
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  03:02:51 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Marie and Reid, thanks so much for the help. All my questions answered! As for the tuning, Reid your suggestions led me to do more experimenting and I found the actual tuning: GCEGBE. I suppose that is a type of C Wahine. The main part of the song could be played in Cmajor but dropping the number 2 string to B allows you to play the chords of the intro and the rest of the number is still playable this way. With that tuning, the chords are fairly easy.

Since the three lower strings are all tuned higher than standard, I used a capo on the second fret to avoid stressing my old guitar too much. Now I just have to learn to play the song!

doug
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  10:30:49 AM  Show Profile
Man, GCEGBE is one wierd tuning. It is not in Hanson's massive book on alternate tunings, nor in Keola and Mark's book. Those bass strings reversed to GC is especially strange. Dropping a 5th to C means it *really* flops. I can think of another tuning that could be used: C Mauna Loa - CGEGAE. You could get the B on the 2nd fret and the basses are as usual.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

gypsysoul
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  01:58:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Reid,

Sounds like, if you tried that tuning, you might have tuned the low strings one octave lower than I did. The lowest sounding string (6) is tuned to G that is one octave plus three notes below middle C on a piano. So its tighter than standard low E on the guitar. The other strings go up from there. I used a capo to allow me to get the correct notes but if you remove the capo you have F-Bflat-D-F-B-D. Its probably only good for this one song.

doug
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  7:52:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Auntie Maria,

"Awesome" is the word for Sonny Lim. I'm excited to hear that he has a solo CD in the future. Keep us all posted!!

Mahalo,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Pila
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  12:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha!

After reading this thread I felt compelled to reply. Two years ago at the Hula Mau in S. California, the Lim Family was the featured guest artist at the Mahalo Bash. During their performance, Sonny was featured and did that number (Punahoa Special). I tried to figure what tuning he was using and noticed that after he was done, he did not re-tune his guitar, and started accompanying his sisters on their next sets of vocals. That is when I realized that he was playing standard chords in standard tuning.

I then checked Led Ka'apana's liner notes and saw that he uses EADGBE (standard tuning) for that song. I tried to follow along (very clumsily) and have confirmed it. So, give it a try and try to find the notes. It certainly involves much dexterity, and I think is played in the key of A.

Finally, two weeks ago at the Na Leo concert in Cerritos, Makana performed at the intermission and did that song. That was a WOW! He even used his foot to do the bass slide part.

E 'ola i ke kiho'alu!
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  3:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Pila.

Go ahead, feel compelled to reply some more :-)No Fear.

If it is in the key of A, that would make "standard" (I call it "common", 'cause it ain't standard around here :-) a good choice, and easier than one might think, as common tuning is very nearly Open A. Nevertheless, I couldn't do it.

BTW, Sarah and I *love* the Lim Family. We think that Nani Lim Yap has (or had? - she doesn't seem to perform much anymore) the most beautiful voice outside the operatic field (Frederika von Stade wins there).

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  8:59:15 PM  Show Profile
Of the current crop of operatic singers Frederika Von Stade is way up there - glads I live in the Bay Area 'cause she performs a lot out here - Cecilia Bartoli ain't no slouch either. BTW, I'm thinking of writing a brief opera for Soprano, tuned down to Mezzo, and alternating Basses, accompanied by an 18 guitar orchaestra, based upon a set of romatic encounters of a parrot in a sugar shack.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  2:00:48 PM  Show Profile
Raymond,

We have too much in common. Chopin is without a doubt embedded in my soul - the first music I ever remember hearing at age 3 (saw Rubenstein perform him, too). And Frederika made me into an opera fan, seein Massenet's Cendrillion and, next season, Cenerentola and Der Rosenkavalier. But, she *is* aging (as we all are) - she was something else about 20 years ago. But your "brief opera" gives me the willies. (BTW - there are 2 books of tab of Chopin transcribed for guitar - now, *that* is scary.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  3:57:50 PM  Show Profile
Reid,
Shame we live coast to coast - I think we might have fun getting together.
I have one of the Chopin transcription books - the one put out by the SF press. Bought it in a moment of impulse buying, and haven't looked at it in last two years or so 'cause it was just too difficult to play. (I'm tempted to drag it out this weekend and see if it's any easier now.) I heard two of the transcriptions played in concert and they sounded interesting. It didn't sound like "Chopin" - the soulfulness that comes from the complex chording was missing - but it was still enjoyable. Heard 2 Mazurkas and the melodies worked fine for the guitar. If you go off the deep end and want to try some Standard Tuning Chopin, let me know, I can send you the music. (I would only do it if I had lots of free time.)
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

gypsysoul
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  02:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Back on the topic of the tuning for Punahoa Special, I certainly doubt that Lim is using standard tuning in the version I have on CD. The alternating bass line, the unique sound of a open string as opposed to the sound made by a fretted string and the intro chords make it obvious. I have experimented with finding the same notes in standard tuning and really, it just doesn't happen in standard. I don't have the Led Kapa'ana version on CD although I was able to catch a clip from it on mele.com. It sounds like it is somewhat different from Lim's version, and I can't argue that if the CD liner says he uses standard it may be true.

Anyway, I'm grateful for all the interest and discussion and can finally say that I'm not that far away from playing a passable version of the entire number, in this unusual tuning (GCEGBE). Now I'm no expert in chord naming but it seems like this could be called a C wahine tuning, or maybe "Sonny's C" which has a pleasant ring to it!

Come to think of it, its only one note on the second string different than the tuning for another of my favorites, Salomila (GCEGAE) which is a high bass form of Mauna Loa tuning.

Aloha,

Doug

doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000