Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Jerry Santos (Olomana)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  09:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Jerry Santos was just in town and I was lucky enough to be able to catch his concert in Tokyo last Friday. He was playing/singing with Hoku Zuttermeister (bass) and Brian Tolentino (uke), and they put on a tight, smooth show. Jerry's limpid, penetrating, spot-on key-of-E voice remains as unmistakably Olomana as ever, and after 30 years, or so, it was just so nice to stroll down memory lane and make some new discoveries.

He had two guitars on the stage with him (both looked like Taylors): one in 'standard' tuning, and the other slacked (capoed on the 2nd or 3rd fret). Would anyone here know what slack tuning he plays? It looked to be some variant of C-major--one that I didn't recognize (he seemed to be fingering the 1st position dominant chord on the lower [fat] 3 or 4 strings). Sounded real nice.

-dean

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  5:42:43 PM  Show Profile
You can email Jerry -- I'm sure he'd like to hear from you, and yes, he's one of those wonderful musicians who actually answer email from fans!

jerry @ olomanamusic.com

As for the Jerry/Hoku/Bryan trio, they can been seen performing at Chai's Bistro (Aloha Tower Marketplace, Honolulu) every Monday night. Great grouping!

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  8:56:16 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the tip, Maria. Will definitely give it a try.

Also, as I gleaned the info on the performance itself from your Web site, thanks is in order for that as well. Saw it only a week before the gig and was just able to score two tickets.

-dean
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  9:57:51 PM  Show Profile
Dean,
If you get the tuning, please post it here.
It sounds to me like a version of "C," but I've been wrong before.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

donley
Aloha

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  5:32:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit donley's Homepage  Send donley a Yahoo! Message
He usually plays in D tuning, tuned up to E

donley

quote:
Originally posted by BreezePlease

Jerry Santos was just in town and I was lucky enough to be able to catch his concert in Tokyo last Friday. He was playing/singing with Hoku Zuttermeister (bass) and Brian Tolentino (uke), and they put on a tight, smooth show. Jerry's limpid, penetrating, spot-on key-of-E voice remains as unmistakably Olomana as ever, and after 30 years, or so, it was just so nice to stroll down memory lane and make some new discoveries.

He had two guitars on the stage with him (both looked like Taylors): one in 'standard' tuning, and the other slacked (capoed on the 2nd or 3rd fret). Would anyone here know what slack tuning he plays? It looked to be some variant of C-major--one that I didn't recognize (he seemed to be fingering the 1st position dominant chord on the lower [fat] 3 or 4 strings). Sounded real nice.

-dean

Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  12:21:38 AM  Show Profile
Donley,

Tanks, tanks, tanks--and thanks again.

That's it! Produces just the right harmonics for the beginning of Kahalu`u...

Think I'll tune it down to C# or C so I can get this old voice around the songs.

-dean
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000