Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Guitar tab
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  5:57:14 PM  Show Profile
does anyone know where i can get some slack key guitar tab in dgdgbd tuning?

Steve

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  6:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Steve,
Unless I'm reading you incorrectly, you're looking for "Open G" or "Taro Patch" -- most of the collections of TAB have been reviewed on this site and are found in the Books, Instruction sec. Typically any slack key collection will have at least a couple of tunes in Taro Patch, as it is one of the most basic and versatile of our tunings. Look there and you will find just about all that's available. If you're new to slack key, I would suggest you get Ozzie Kotani's book & CD. Kahumoku's DVD is also great for people relatively new.

Beyond what's posted, there are a few sources - Keola Beamer's website has a few things in the "On Line Learning." Mark Hansen has one or two on his site. There's even 1 or 2 in the Acoustic Guitar Magzine archives. Other than that, it's trading off with other players or taking lessons from a teacher who has TAB.

Anyone else know any other resources?

Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  8:48:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Raymond is referring to Keoki Kahumoku's DVD, not George's (for beginners).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  11:12:01 PM  Show Profile
Actually I was referring to Freiderich Witold Kahumoku's classical study of slack key in the last half of the 19th century entitled, "Macadamias and Mellow Music: A Study of Nut Pickers and Pickin' Nuts."
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  01:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Ah, that would be DVD as in the "Deutsche Vaquero Discourse". My bad.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  01:54:02 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Beyond what's posted, there are a few sources - Keola Beamer's website has a few things in the "On Line Learning." Mark Hansen has one or two on his site. There's even 1 or 2 in the Acoustic Guitar Magzine archives. Other than that, it's trading off with other players or taking lessons from a teacher who has TAB.

Anyone else know any other resources?

Raymond
San Jose

You can download TablEdit's free 'TEFview' from http://www.tabledit.com/download/downlo_e.shtml . Go into the Tablature section, and in the Free Tab Archive you'll find a Folklore section that a few traditional songs. I used this to get familiar with some vamps and rythms until my books came in

Since then it's been listen, learn, listen, learn .....

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  09:47:59 AM  Show Profile
Thanks does anyone else have any other tab that they could share

Steve
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  11:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Are you looking for something in particular or are you just trying to build up a collection?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  1:47:07 PM  Show Profile
nothing particular just trying to build up a collection

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  1:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
TAblEdit FREE download is a DEMO. But, the full version is fantastic, Keith the owner is very responsive to emails helping you get stared. After you create a TablEdit song you can convert to ASCII and upload a link at this forum or any site to share. TablEdit will allow you to assign specific tunings to the Tab lines (strings) so as you compose on the tab is will be in Taro or C Wahine or whatever.
Send Keith an email and talk to him. No, I don't work for the company.
Gary
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  4:28:08 PM  Show Profile
Yes, perhaps I didn't clarify.

TablEdit is a demo, which you can use to create tablature files. But to just see TableEdit files, TEFView is free.

Personally I use Power Tab, which is also free, to create tablatures although it's a little buggy and harder to navigate, especially when cutting and pasting parts of songs together. I'd stop short of recommending it if you're not the patient type to climb up it's learning curve. I haven't tried to use TablEdit for writing tabs. How is it?

Cheers!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  5:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
TablEdit is excellent for writing tabs...easy learning curve too. I've tried pretty much all the tab programs out there and TablEdit is my favorite. (PowerTab would probably come in second.)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 10/23/2003 7:25:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2003 :  10:46:49 PM  Show Profile
I use MuseEdit and reasonably satisfied with it --
Anybody able to compare the TablEdot and/or PowerTab with MuseEdit?
Thanks
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Gary
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  01:29:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary's Homepage
With another group I post and read with, we sometimes invite the manufacturer of a product (usually a software synth) to come on the forum and give specifics related to the topic. Sometimes they show up and sometimes they don't. When they do, it often is very educational. What do you think Andy?
Should I send a note to Keith at TablEdit and see if he'll join us here?
Gary
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  09:43:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Sure, go ahead. We're always willing to learn something new.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2003 :  12:16:28 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by admirable
I'm sorry you feel that way and have had trouble with it. From using the two (both PowerTab and TablEdit) I much prefer PowerTab and also go to it first. From the first time I used it (PowerTab) I found it to be extremely intuitive and putting tabs together was an absolute piece of cake. I also prefer the display for playback over TablEdit by a long shot.

I'm still puzzled by the "learning curve" comment.

All in all, I guess I'm canceling out your review with my opinion that it's easy-to-use, intuitive and much cleaner in appearance (again... my opinion only). I state my opinion only for the reason that I'd hate to see someone get turned away from using the PowerTab product.

And "no" for me too... I don't work for either company.

I should probably include what I like about PTab as well. The interface is nice, and the layout is really nice. I think the playback sounds closer to a guitar, and superior to TablEdit's playback mode. Good help files, too.

But simple, repetitive tasks that I shouldn't have to do manually (like going to a next section) work my nerves. And even if I had to do it manually, I'd like to be able to do it with keystroke. It bunches up the tab, and then it's a mess trying to cut/paste to a new line.

I'd like to have all the time measures pre-set, instead of having to add them every few notes. The cut/paste often just 'moves' notes across time measures or sometimes doesn't even copy the time measures when I try to pre-set. It's probably the one thing that makes me cringe using it, as I'd like to just cut/paste bass lines throughout, and get all salty when I have to go back and manually adjust them all.

Maybe this is something I could set up, but after about doing 30 songs with it, maybe my learning curve is just steeper than most LOL. I guess recommending not to try it is a little strong, since it is freely available, and everyone should have thier own experience with it.

I'd like to post what I have on my webpage, but I can never tell if something like Isa Lei, the Queen's Jubilee, or He 'Ai Na Kalani are public domain. And even if the melody is PD, then what about the versions I'm learning from (like Ozzie) which I'm sure aren't...

Cheers!
- Greg

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000