Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Makana opens for Na Leo
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2003 :  2:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Just noticed that Makana has been added as the opening act for Na Leo's Christmas Concerts in No. CA and NV. Wow, talk about guilding the lily (in a positive way)
Raymond
San Jose

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  12:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Hi Raymond,
Do you have a link/address for this show?

thanks,
Ross
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  5:01:28 PM  Show Profile
Ross,
Try "thesoundsofhawaii.com"
Latest junk mail said they extended discounted price with no per ticket surcharge for as few more days. I don't understand why this wouln's have been sold out already.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  5:29:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Raymond,
I ordered 4 tickets for the Na Leo show at the Flint Center Dec. 4. Are you going to that same show? Did you order and receive your tickets yet...

Milt
PS... I met you at the Tapestry in talent show last July 4. Not sure if you remember me...
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  6:37:48 PM  Show Profile
Milt - yes, I do remember you - and yes I will be going to the show.
Have not received my tix yet, but they originally said that tix would be mailed out mid Nov. Keeping my receipt just in case.

Lets look for each other at intermission.
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  6:42:08 PM  Show Profile
Great.... look forward to seeing you there. I wonder how many other taro patch members will be there.
I have not received my tickets, so hopefully they arrive in mid Nov.

I really liked your CD. Any new CDs from you in the future???

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  10:10:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the kind words.
Right now, I'm trying to break even on the first CD.
Pacific Hawaiian is going to handle distribution, but we're going to wait 'till early next year, 'cause there are too many big names CD's coming out now. If I get close to breaking even, hit the lottery, or get some kind of deal, then I'll go for more. One nice thing about having a regular gig at a restaurant is that I'm "forced" to keep coming up with new material, or at least redo older stuff -- I won't have any lack of material for another CD, and I already have 2 different "focus" areas - one of them is doing arranfements for two guitars, both played by myself, the other is partnering with someone who plays a complementary instrument - I'd love to hear slack key with cello, also love shakuhachi, but that's being done, keeping open to possibilities - just short of capital.
Regards,
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

RichardH
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  2:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichardH's Homepage
Raymond,
Hello. Your comment on the cello hit me.
I'm an old guy that has lived here in the Big Island for almost 28 years now, and one of my life's most moving experiences musically was when Ray Kane came to Honaunau, and played on the lanai of an old coffee shack while we sat on the grass out in the front yard. I am still wrapped in that feeling.
About 7 years ago, I started to get more personal with the music, and started recording for fun. I had so much fun that I built a serious studio here on my place in Napo'opo'o a couple of years ago and started having the time of my life. My dream was recording slack key guitar.
I too have had an image of cello and guitar together, and have been dreaming of recording slack key guitar and cello together for a long time.
The dream all came true this fall, when Don Kauli'a moved to the Big Island from Maui this summer. We had met a few years ago at a Gabby festival, and talked about recording but the traveling between islands part of the plan was cumbersome. That all disapated with his move, and we have been having 'way too much fun over the last couple of months down here at Grass Shack Records.
Don started as a traditional instrumentalist and songwriter that you already know, but there is a creative vein in his musicianship that loves to express itself in new and different ways. He attended UH Hilo in music, and there he came to appreciate many forms of music including jazz. When I suggested the cello might accompany him on some of the slack key tracks on this album, the suggestion fell on fertile ground.
We are at this moment preparing the artwork for "Slack Key...in the Key of Aloha", and the master has been finished. There are some innovative tracks on it with the cello, and a couple traditional and some quite different pieces, and Don looks forward to sharing them. Boy, I love them all, and in the recording process I've listened to them a hundred times.
Donald comes from a very traditional background, with his grandfather John 'Puni" Kaulia writing songs in the early 1900's.
He is aware he is breaking the traditional slack key mold with some of his songs and that connection with the history weighs on him, but I think we shall all benefit from his creativity and his musical bravery.
My feeling is to follow that cello Raymond, and maybe a bowed upright bass as well? Last fall I recorded uke and bamboo flute and it was hauntingly beautiful with the breathyness of the wooden flute creating a feathery dance around the uke. And there's more out there.
Hey, someone said if the music sounds good, it is good.

Aloha,
Richard Harrison
Kealakekua Bay

Richard
Grass Shack Records
Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  4:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Richard,
sounds very interesting - will pick up a copy when it comes out.
I've been trolling for a cello player here - postings on University music dept bulletin baords, contacting private teachers -- but no luck yet. There's something so HUMAN and soulfilled about the cello. If you haven't heard it yet -- check out Hayden's Cello Concerto in C Maj. My favorite recording is the Rostropovich. I use this is therapy with depressed seniors, and listening to it almost always switches their mood around.

I'm lucky in a way compared with Don - I'm haole through and through. I've spent a lot of time, effort and money trying to learn traditional. I try to respect the traditions whose music I use -- I also have no problem using that music to play whaty comes from me -- however, when I play certain types of Polish music, I feel it is important for me to keep alive the tradition as passed down to me - to pass that tradition to others who then can make their own music. I guess it's my "vision" of world music -- we are each responsible to preserve the music of our cultures and pass it down, then we are free to learn from others and use what we learn to make music - with respect to the traditions, but not necessarily bound by them. To me that's how I balance the need to preserve and the need to innovate. That said, even in "passing on the tradition" we add our own stampt to things. That's why we can speak of a living tradition as opposed to museum depositories.

Linda and I try to get to Hawaii every two years - maybe next time we can work out some recording time. I'd love to work with someone who has a real feel for the material - However since we just got back a few months ago, that will be in a while.

Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

RichardH
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  5:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit RichardH's Homepage
Raymond,
I agree with your assessment of the sound of a cello. I have one of those little wake up CD player alarms, and its loaded with the work of Nelson Denman, a really good cello player who passed through Hawaii last year. I talked him into a couple hours of recording, just for fun. We wake up every morning to Bach's First Unaccompanied Suite for Cello. I used to hate to get up, but now we set it early and just lie there happily for an extra 10 minutes...

I also understand that if all those guys who started slack key would have been bound hard to tradition, we'd not be playing their innovative stuff. Culture is what you do, and it never remains stagnant where creativity lives.

Best thing, I guess, is play from your heart.

See you in Hawaii - that would be great!

Aloha,

Richard

Richard
Grass Shack Records
Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2003 :  9:33:38 PM  Show Profile
BTW, Richard,
Did you every read Pablo Casals autobiography - beautiful book - it opens with him saying how each morning when he got up, he went to the piano and played Bach - if I remember right, he said something to the effect that as he played the music and the notes filled the house, it was as if the whole house became a prayer. Very moving passage, even if I don't remember it fully.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

RichardH
Aloha

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  03:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit RichardH's Homepage
Raymond,
Not yet, but it sounds very inspiring. Now if I could get that live to wake up to.....

Aloha,

Richard

Richard
Grass Shack Records
Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  11:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
No cello tracks yet, but two instrumental tracks from Don Kauli`a's new CD are now up at http://www.grassshackrecords.com/DonKaulia-11-03.html

Andy
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  12:40:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Raymond,
Did you receive your Na Leo tickets yet... Just received mine last Saturday.

See you there...

Milt
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  01:30:30 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Richard,

I have suspected you were lurking for a while as I have not seen recent posts. (As you may recall, we met onboard Carpe Diem.) Anyway, could not resist the Cello vis a vis Hawaiian subject. Indeed a Cello does work very well with some Hawaiian Material. Some years ago our "band" played live on KKUP radio (during the annual World Music Marathon) here in the Bay Area with a Guitar, Cello, upright Bass and dual Vocal version of "Morning Dew" (and a few other tunes with differing instrumentation). We also laid some tracks with this ensemble but these tracks were not quite to my standards of publishable material. Nevertheless, as a result I have noticed that the Cello is a sweet instrument for backing many Hawaiian standards.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000