Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 NYC: Jake Shimabukuro 1/10/2004
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2003 :  6:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Jake Shimabukuro in Concert

Saturday, January 10, 2004, 7 pm

$20 admission + 1 drink minimum

The Knitting Factory New York
74 Leonard Street

Box office: 212-219-3006
www.jakeshimabukuro.net

Ukulele virtuoso, and winner of the coveted 2003 Na Hoku Hanohano honor as Favorite Entertainer of the Year, Jake Shimabukuro, will bring his lightning fast fingers and innovative style to New York City on Saturday, January 10, 2004. Jake's accomplishment of traditional ukulele material and other genres of music including rock, blues, jazz, classical, and swing — genres of music considered taboo on the instrument — have brought him international acclaim among his peers and audiences of all ages. Jake Shimabukuro was born on November 3, 1976, in Honolulu, Hawaii. Having learned to play the ukulele from the young age of four, Shimabukuro marked his professional debut in 1998 after becoming a member of the group, Pure Heart, a few years after graduating from high school. Shimabukuro's appearance dramatically altered traditional perceptions of ukulele music. Playing with incredible technique and great feeling, he covers all types of music from Classical music to Jazz, Rock, Blues, Funk and of course, improvisation that comes naturally to the ukulele, Shimabukuro continues to be a source of inspiration to the Hawaiian music scene.

For more information please contact:
Hawai`i Cultural Foundation
P.O. Box 250050
New York, NY 10025
212-966-3378
www.hawaiiculturalfoundation.org
hcf @ hcfnyc.org

Akawa341
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  11:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Akawa341's Homepage
Hi Andy

Thank you for the info.
I definitely got go and see him!

Atsuhiko
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  11:51:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Cool! See you there Atsuhiko.

Anyone else going to make it? Hope to see you there.

[bump]

Knitting Factory New York
74 Leonard Street
New York, NY 10013
Tel: (212) 219-3132
Fax: (212) 219-3401

www.knittingfactory.com

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  12:56:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I was lucky to see Jake perform an hour and half solo set at the Knitting Factory before a nearly sold out crowd. The place was packed. Crowded quarters and lack of seats aside, Jake was thrilled about his first performance in New York. He played songs ranging from Hawaiian to Jazz to Blues to Pop to originals with Latin influence. Jake entertained the crowd with his speed, technique and showmanship (he played with his teeth at one point). He was also very gracious and personable, greeting people and signing CDs until the venue emptied out.

I was also at the workshop on Sunday. Interestingly, Jake's workshop focused predominately on picking hand technique. I gained a couple picking patterns, strums and some insight into Jakes right hand technique. Armed with no pick but just natural fingernails, his right hand strums with blinding speed and accuracy. It is a real joy to watch someone who has such command and control over his instrument. As a very beginning `ukulele player, I often forget how percussive the `ukulele can be. Jake not only plays beautifully arranged musical passages combined with blazing riffs but coaxes quite a percussion section from his tenor `ukulele. He would make any marching band's drum line proud.

Another interesting topic for `ukulele players is the low G string. Jake chooses to play with the high G noting that his personal feeling is that playing with a high G results in a more traditional `ukulele sound as well as voicings that make the `ukulele unique.

He's a lot of fun to watch. I really wish that I'd been able to see Jake jam with bass virtuoso Victor Wooten a couple days earlier. Now that would have been a sight!

Much thanks to the Hawai`i Cultural Foundation in NYC and Sony Japan (Jake's label) for putting these events together. If you get a chance to catch Jake somewhere, please consider it. I know that if he returns to NY as he says he'd like to do, I will be there.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2004 :  1:05:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks for the review Andy! Jake inspires a lot of us uke players to branch out musically and not to see any limitations in the tiny 'ukulele.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

milikona
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2004 :  10:47:08 PM  Show Profile
Last Nite I saw Jake perform with the Makaha Sons at Cabrillo college in Aptos Calf. I've seen him on public Tv, but this was my first time seeing him perform live at a sell out crowd. Very impressive player. Have you heard his latest CD?

Very nice vocals by Makaha Sons.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000