Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Just got back from Kauai
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

danimal
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  1:10:50 PM  Show Profile
As the message says, we got back late last week...Christmas, etc. kept me from posting until now, but WOW-what a place!!!!

As this is a Slack Key board, I'll keep my musings to the topic. We stayed in Priceville for 7 days and then in Lihue for 3. While we were in Princeville/Hanalei, we had the distinct pleasure of hearing Doug and Sandy McMaster twice...first at an "official" concert at the Community Center and then for a sunset concert. Both shows were great, and we had a chance to chat with the McMasters a good bit after each. They are both genuinely good human beings and really imparted a true sense of aloha. I'm a ki ho alu novice, but hearing them has gotten me hooked, and for that I thank them.

If you're ever in Hanalei, HI (one of the most amazingly blessed places on our planet), check them out.

I could go on and on about the weather, the food, the hiking, etc...., but I won't bore y'all w/ my ramblings. I'm just still stoked from the trip and wanted to share my thoughts.

Aloha and Mahalo!

Dan

PS: Even thought the first paragraph seems like a big ol' ad for the McMasters, it was in no way, shape or form solicited by anyone.....I just had a great time and wanted to share.

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  2:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Danimal,
Yeah, I recognize the sound of a newly-stricken malihini soul. And I'm sorry to tell you, it only gets worse. Much worse.
Some people actually visit Hawai'i nei, and can leave with "well, the weather was nice, and it was exotic, but I think we'll do Cancun next year...". But for those of us who the islands call, "the first one is free". After that, it's not long before you start making Mahulepu out of your mashed potatoes, and eventually making Po'oki'i out of your poi.
It happened to me big time. My only advice is just give up and go with it. At this point, my retirement plan is to sell off equipment from my nursery school, buy one throw net, and be tethered to a palm on Makena beach. At least I already have a guitar, and I'll be playing ki ho'alu till the end.
It's utterly hopeless. Enjoy it bigtime!

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

danimal
Aloha

7 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2003 :  08:07:08 AM  Show Profile
I agree, Bwop. I've already heard some comments along the lines of "you live in South Florida by the beach, how much different could it be?"

Well it's true, the weather here at home is fantastic, and the ocean is too, but there's no comparision to the North Shore of Kauai. The mountains, the people, the spirit of the place......arrrrgh, it's only been 6 days and I wanna go back!!!

Dan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000