Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters - 2004 Schedule
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  4:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Herschel Freeman Agency's Jan/Feb 2004 national tour features Cyril Pahinui, Dennis Kamakahi and the first female Dancing Cat Recording Artist, Cindy Combs. Patrick Landeza has also been added as a special guest. See this post.

FYI, in January/February 2005, Keola and Moana Beamer will headline the tour.

January
23 F Hering Auditorium, Fairbanks AK
24 S Alaska Center for the Performing Arts, Anchorage AK
26 M Cordova High School, Cordova AK
28 W Town Hall, Seattle WA
30 F Humboldt State University, Arcata CA
31 S California State University, Chico CA

February
4 W Freight and Salvage, Berkeley CA
5 TH Rio Theater, Santa Cruz CA
7 S Cedar Cultural Center, Minneapolis MN
8 SU Old Town School of Folk Music, Chicago IL
10 T The Ark, Ann Arbor MI
11 W Wolf Trap Barns, Vienna VA
12 TH Wolf Trap Barns, Vienna VA

Unfortunately due to various reasons, New York and Boston promoters passed this time. Hope we don't miss Keola and Moana in 2005.

Andy

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2004 :  6:00:17 PM  Show Profile
Woo-hoo! Chicago is only 4 hours away for me. I actually became a member of the Old Town School of Folk Music so I could get my tickets in advance of general sales (yes, that grinning fool in the very front of the theater will be me...)The last time Keola and Moana came through the midwest, I had to fly up to Madison WI to get my slack key fix - here's hoping New York, Boston and Chicago are all on the tourlist for next year...(Indy would be just too much to hope for )

Debbie B
Go to Top of Page

slackkeylady
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2004 :  6:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit slackkeylady's Homepage
Aloha, There is a date missing from the schedule and that is Friday, Feb. 6th. We will be in Sebastopol for a workshop and concert. Even I do not have all the details. Time and cost etc. Says here (my itinerary) it happens at Sebastopol Community Center.

Aloha Nui Loa, Slack Key Lady
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2004 :  10:12:01 PM  Show Profile
Hooray!

We're really looking forward to seeing the Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters concert in Seattle on Wednesday the 28th! The last live slack key fix we had here was the Led Ka'apana/Oz Kotani concert in Tacoma last April. So glad you were able to include Seattle on your schedule!

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  03:09:03 AM  Show Profile

Aloha kakou;;

Workshop in Sebastapol? <perk> Cindy could you please post the details as soon as the come to you? Mahalo. See you there!

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  11:00:34 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know the deal with NY and Boston? They always sold out Symphony Space in NY, so could it really be finances? I think somebody up there doesn't like us in Megalopolis.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  11:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Sebastopol contact phone # is 707-823-1511

No info on the workshop, but for the concert it's:
Friday, Feb 6
8PM
Advance tickets $20; $22 at door

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  01:43:45 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Auntie,

You're always first with the latest. . . .got my tix, plus ones for my sistahs, it will be a great show.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  10:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Does anyone know the deal with NY and Boston?
I heard from Herschel Freeman that due to the turnout of the last slack key tour, NYC and Boston promoters were passing this time around.

My guess is that HCF who usually promotes shows in New York has their hands full with Jake Shimabukuro and Carol Silva (language workshop)last month and Na Palapalai next month.

Even though, as a fan, I would love to have a Hawaiian music performer every month, it's tough to get a good draw at every event if you're having one a month. In fact, the New York shows are usually break even endeavors. Not to mention, there are limited time and personnel resources needed to organize and promote. The promoter in NYC is a volunteer, non-profit organization.

Nevertheless, I really want to catch Dennis, Cindy, Cyril and Patrick since it is a rare opportunity to see them on the east coast. Now I'm torn trying to consider driving down to VA, but it seems impossible since the 2 shows take place on weekdays.

No complaints though. I cannot remember ever having so many choices on this coast in such a short time period. In fact, the new Hapa will also be performing in VA in February... that is one more!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2004 :  7:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
From Cindy Combs via email today:
quote:
Aloha From Seattle,

Got back from Alaska last night. In Seattle for a show tonight. Alaska is waaaayy cool. @ 3 below zero in Fairbanks....good fun...dry snow...no wind. I will try to write when I can but have no laptop so am at the mercy of time and terminals. On to Humbolt tomorrow, then down to Chico, Berkeley, Santa Cruz , and Sebastopol before zooming over to Minnesota where it was 36 below zero this morning. brrrrrr

Aloha, Cindy

http://www.slackkeylady.com

Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  1:12:58 PM  Show Profile
We caught the Cyril Pahinui/Dennis Kamakahi/Cindy Combs Hawaiian Slack Key Masters concert in Seattle last night, and ooohhhh what a concert it was! When the MC opened the show, the super loud AAALLLLOOOOOOHHHHAAAA he got from the audience almost made it feel like we were back home in Hawaii! Patrick Landeza opened to the sold-out crowd at the Town Hall Seattle. It was the first time we had seen or heard Patrick and I wish he could have played more. He has a very relaxed slack key style and terrific singing voice.

Next was Cindy Combs and it was the first time we had seen her perform too. What a bundle of energy that woman is! She was a very animated performer and a comedian to boot. Her jazzy slack key styling was all over the neck of that Taylor, full of chord progressions and little embellishments and she was a pleasure to watch. Her clear and strong singing voice has a very wide range and I especially enjoyed her harmonizing with Cyril and Dennis at the end of the show. Cindy obviously enjoyed performing, had a great time with the crowd and was brought back for one hana hou.

Next was Dennis Kamakahi, who in addition to being a slack key master, is a wonderful historian and story teller. We enjoyed his poignant and touching stories about the history of the music that he chose to play almost as much as the music itself.

Last was Cyril Pahinui, who appeared as comfortable as if he were sitting on his front porch instead of center stage in Seattle. His style in my mind was the perfect blend of talking about his slack key roots and giving the audience a generous serving of it at the same time. And when he played and sang "Hi'ilawe", dedicated to the memory of his father, I'm certain that I wasn't the only one in the crowd who had chicken skin, watery eyes and a lump in my throat.

At the end, the three of them played three tunes together ending with "Hawaii Aloha", although they were brought back for a hana hou too. Again a mental picture of three friends jamming comfortably in the back yard and having a blast was brought to mind. If any of you haven't yet decided whether or not to catch this concert in your town, I would strongly suggest that you go out and buy your tickets today ..... if they're still available!

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  2:10:30 PM  Show Profile
I wish that we could get a show here in colorado...Led and george came here couple years ago at a place called swallow hill, and it was packed! I wish they would come back! Please please please please Herschel Freeman Agency book here too...if need a place for crash....well they can stay at my house no problem! Get plenty room! :-)

Dana

Edited by - Dana on 01/29/2004 2:20:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  12:09:17 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Andy and Lynette, you come to sunny California for Cindy/Cyril/Dennis/Patrick show in Santa Cruz, I will shovel out the guest bedroom for you. At least so you can get to da bed. You are always welcome in my home...
Me ke aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2004 :  12:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo nui for the invite Julie! Would love to take you up on that someday.

Your guestroom needs shoveling? Us too! Don't know where to put it? Stick it in the guest bedroom. You and Larry our welcome over here too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  10:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Alloha Dana!!!

I'm working on Colorado!! You'll get slack key there this year for sure!! We will be back in Seattle as well in May with the Hawaiian Music's Next Generation featuring, Herb Ohta, Jr, Keoki Kahumoku, David Kamakahi, Patrick Landeza and Special guest Dennis Kamakahi..a great package and we have 7 confirmed dates but still working on the rest..I will post as the time draws near!

Aloha Folks!

Patrick

www.patricklandeza.com

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

Dana
Akahai

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2004 :  2:59:30 PM  Show Profile
oh right on patrick!! a mahalo nui loa for thinking of us! no can wait! no forget..get plenty room at our hale if need place for crash!

Dana
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000