Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 share music thru xerox?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

67kawika67
Aloha

19 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  01:35:20 AM  Show Profile
Hey does anyone wanna share music through xerox? this will allow people to get the songs they want and be able to spend less money on books that teach for three chapters and then only have a few songs to learn. Anyone want anything in G kilauea?

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  12:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The problem with this approach (apart from its questionable legality) is that when you copy music that an author has for sale you are depriving them of income they would otherwise receive and removing their incentive to publish more. This is particularly critical as far as slack key artists are concerned as most of them are struggling to make a living and the amount of sheet music available is limited. As a result, you'll find that the practice of copying music is generally frowned upon by the community here.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  2:56:29 PM  Show Profile
I don't generally frown upon the practice of copying music but would encourage others to support the artists willing to share their work by purchasing the work they have published.

I do generally frown upon people speaking for me without my consent.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  4:16:18 PM  Show Profile
I need to jump in here.
I have to agree strongly with Craig -- I'll add that I extend that feeling to copying CD's which are still in active catalogue. It takes a lot of work to produce a good arrangement/TAB, and it takes a lot of money to produce even a "homemade" CD of any decent quality. There are so few people interested in slack key that profit margins are very small. We owe it to each other to financially support thems who are putting it out there. In addition - the only way publishers will put out more stuff is if the stuff they already have out there sells. I will make an exception in those cases where someone is genuinely too poor to come up with the price. (But I've seen slack key artists kokua when those cases are brought up to their attention.)

Now, given the mention of G Kilauea -- the only book that has that tuning is Dan Ho's book -- and I would have real problems with copying anything fdrom that -- first of all, the text is very well thought out, and contains lots of useful information. Secondly, There are 14 songs in that book. That's a lot! and right there deserves support. (I think Dan should have recorded solo guitar part and not just take tracks from previous recordings - but that does not vitiate the value of the TABS.) You may not like them, or the tuning, but Dan's work is genuine stuff and needs to be respected. The book also includes a dynamite taro pach arrangement of the Queen's prayer by Steve Sano - in my mind worth the price of the book itself.

That said, I guess, I've been guilty of ripping a song or two -- but I'm not proud of it and do it only by exception and with guilt, unless we're dealing with OOP material. I certainly wouldn't support xerox ripping on a wide scale
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  5:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Could be admirable...if you read his post on Daniel Ho's book here he comments on how many good songs it includes and encourages people to buy it.

Chris, we've had previous discussions regarding copying music so my comment on it being "generally" frowned upon here was based on those discussions. I used the word "generally" to imply that I wasn't speaking for everyone.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  6:32:41 PM  Show Profile
Too much caffene today for me.

I wasn't disagreeing with what Craig was saying but had issue with the implication that he was representing my views.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  7:07:38 PM  Show Profile
Craig,
Thanks for pointing out that positive comments 67kawika67 gave on the book. I didn't mean to infer that kawika didn't like the material. In fact, I figured that the reason he was into trading them was that he thought they were pretty good and others might want them. In fact, I didn't even mean the entry to be a slam on 67kawika67. It's hard to get slack key material, and it is also hard to learn how to do your own arranging.

That line in my post about not liking the material had more to do with other people whose comments I occasionally hear and read in terms of not liking "non-traditional" slack key. Personally, since I never learned "standard" tuning, I don't see that much value in my learning "G-K," but I think that Steve's TAB is worth the whole cost of the book, and there's some very valuable info on arranging and recording.

Regardless -- Dan shares a whole lot in that book and he and his publisher deserve the support of our purchases.

Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  9:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Whatever happened to that cola like soda called "Tab"?
Hey was that you Ledward that zoomed by me in that old blue Z28 Camero today? Just press...the gas pedal.
Go to Top of Page

67kawika67
Aloha

19 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  12:37:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey guys I posted this topic and would like to voice my side.

HEY look I would love to support the artists and I do understand why you would look down at xeroxing music. I sympathize and understand.

so if anyone could help me find some good tablature it would help alot and I will support the artists.

BUT there are tabs that I cant find.

so hook me up w/ some info...

thanks
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  02:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
If you have something specific that you're looking for then ask. Your original post was an offer to share music without supporting the artists, not a request for specific tab, which is why it generated the response that it did.

If you're looking for general info on what's available, check out http://www.patchett.com/kihoalu/tarosongs.htm ... it's a fairly comprehensive list of slack key tab that is available. Most of it is available in stores or via mail order. Some is out of print but turns up on eBay every now and then. You might also try searching this forum for 'tab' or 'tablature'...you'll find several links to tabs that are available for free online.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  02:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Mainkaukau

Whatever happened to that cola like soda called "Tab"?

It's still manufactured by the Coca Cola company...availability depends on local demand.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

67kawika67
Aloha

19 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  03:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Hey thanks for the link I am going to check it out in al little bit . but I want you guys to know that dans book is very good and I enjoyed iut throughly. However I would still exrox a a song for someone if they just wanted one or two songs. If andy of your see this as a problem Im sorry for you but theres nothing you can do. besides a few songs or buying a whole book. I would rather take the two songs then spend 20. Thought that book is worth 20 I can not see spending another 20 for a book that tells me the same stuff in the first 20 pages and then gives me a a couple of songs. I would rather just get it from a friend. I am not making money of this either I am simpy helping to spread the music and the love of kihoalu. so to all the people that understand me thatnks for the support. anyone that has a problem with me trading music. well I can only say sorry and too %*&^*&)*( bad. Keep playing everyone!!!
Go to Top of Page

67kawika67
Aloha

19 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  04:01:02 AM  Show Profile
CRAIG hey I just read your post on the daniel ho book. I must tell you I am a beginer in slack key. I found many of the songs easy due to the type of tuning. where it keeps the high 3 strings the same. my favorite probably has to be the version of Hawaii aloha. its such a nice one to play since most people can recognize it. Yes I do know that it is not an open G tuning. I am studying the taro patch right now. I started off in it using Keola beamers first lesson book. found it very helpful. I wanted to know if anyone had the tabs to olinda road by hapa. I like that song alot and I am going to be playing with a guy named noland on the second guitar. well. craig nice to see your posts. have a good one
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  10:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I should have addressed this sooner. Before this turns ugly, I'd like comment. One of the main purposes of this site is to perpetuate slack key and `ukulele traditions by helping those who enjoy it and/or want to learn it to meet, share ideas, seek answers to questions, etc. "Sharing" is a big thing here. In my opinion, it's what makes this community great. Not to mention the respect that the majority of members show for each other here. I hope, 67kawika67, that you may continue sharing in this community while respecting my wishes.

Am I trying to dictate what you can share and what you cannot?!?! Well sort of. 67kawika67, you are right that if you choose to make a few copies to share with friends, there is nothing I can do. Frankly, this is not my main concern. I understand your points but to Taropatch.net, it is less relevent.

My foremost concern in regard to copyright infringement issues is to not allow people to broadcast offers and requests of illegally copied materials to this community. What you do with your friends is not my business but if someone were to offer or solicit copied tabs to our 500+ members, it is my business. We live in a very litigious society; and as Admin of this site, it is my job to keep this site running.

So I hope that everyone here understands that in regard to copyright, it is not my desire to stifle your ability to share and perpetuate this music. However, after weighing the benefits and consequences, I think there is way too much good here to lose if I do not put my foot down in an attempt to protect this site from the potential legal problems associated with copyright infringement of published materials. I have seen other sites shut down because of this and do not wish to become one of them. Therefore, I simply cannot advocate or support the copying of any copyrighted materials.

(In due time, I will add an "official policy" on copying of copyrighted materials to be added to the FAQ.)

Andy
Go to Top of Page

67kawika67
Aloha

19 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  6:48:46 PM  Show Profile
Dear Admin,

thanks for understanding and clarifying that. I dont mean any disrespect to any of the other musicians. I will not post anything about sharing music and whatever I have posted that may get your site in trouble you are free to delete it. I understand there are many laws and I respect them and follow them. thank you for your understanding. kawika
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  11:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for understanding too. No harm done.

This topic has come up in the past and usually is a heated one. It does foster a good conversation, doesn't it? Well, at the urging of some (again), I will add something to the FAQ - just for next time.

Mahalo for contributing and keeping this place alive.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000