Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 share music thru xerox?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  5:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
I do agree that trading TAB that someone has invested time and money into creating without paying them is a bad idea. However, I also feel that it is hard to get real material on slack key tunings even with money to spend. G Kilauea ( D G C G B E ) is worth the time learning how to play in it, even if you don't know how a particular song goes. If you are interested, email me at pat.breen @ alluvialgems.com and I will email you a PDF with all 12 major scales in that tuning. From there, just print it out and look up the common voicings in the tuning. Chords come from scales, and this will flush out the most useful ones. Don't plagiarize, figure out the chords from the chart, then work out the melodies. Once you do that, learn to sing the song with your own voicings. Or better yet, write your own songs in it, then teach somebody else.

Crazy Man Tuning
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  7:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
When I started out learning slack key I decided to start collecting slack key tablature and teaching materials as a hobby and from an archival perspective. Through the usual commercial sources, eBay, the Web, workshops, and contacting artists directly I have built up a collection of over 330 tabs (226 unique songs) in the past two years. (You can find a list of the commercially available stuff here.) Most of it I have paid for, some has been available free on the Web, some has been given freely or for a nominal charge by the artists. Some are copies of OOP material that I received permission from the artist to copy. My point is that the material is out there if you are willing to look for it. No, it's not as easy as walking into a music store and browsing through hundreds or even dozens of books on the subject to find the one you want. But the learning section here at TaroPatch.net is a good place to start, as is eBay and Google.com (there are probably about 20 or so free tabs on the Web that I've come across). Keep an eye out for workshops or classes in your area where possible, and don't be afraid to contact artists via email (most will at least write back). The process just makes you appreciate the songs you do come across all that much more.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 02/23/2004 7:25:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  03:14:24 AM  Show Profile
Before Christmas, I bid on eBay on what I thought was a book of Christmas songs. Turned out I paid $10 for 30 pages of xerox copies. I was miffed, but when I checked back on that eBay offer, it did say: "30 pages of Christmas songs." It never dawned on me that someone would xerox a book. Sheesh. I have not used these sheets, nor do I intend to. I will pay closer attention next time.
Julie
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  5:30:45 PM  Show Profile
I'd report the guy who sold them to the copyright owners.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  7:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
And to eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/index.html

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000