Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Slack Key Workshops - Los Angeles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SRodriguez
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  8:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Slack Key Guitar Workshops
Saturday, February 28
JACCC Conference Rooms, 2nd Floor
$35 1 workshop, $30 each 2 to 3, $100 All 4

Beginning Slack Key Guitar - G Taro Patch Tuning with Keoki Kahumoku
9:30am - 11:30am
Bring: guitar, pen and paper

Learn the origin of traditional Hawaiian fingerstyle through the basics of the G Taro Patch Tuning. No experience necessary.

Intermediate Slack Key Guitar - D Wahine Tuning with George Kahumoku, Jr.
12:30pm - 2:30pm
Bring: guitar, pen, paper, capo and tuner (optional)

Hands-on instructional workshop teaches the basics of D Wahine Tuning and use of chord charts and fingerpicking patterns for specific songs.

Prerequisites: One year of standard guitar and the ability to play one complete song in standard tuning. Knowledge of Slack Key tunings is helpful, but not required.

Intermediate Slack Key Guitar - G Taro Patch Tuning with Ozzie Kotani
2:45pm - 4:45pm
Bring: guitar, pen and paper

Ozzie will introduce intermediate level songs in the G Taro Patch or Open G tuning. This is an excellent follow-up class to Keoki's morning session!

Lecture/Demo with Daniel Ho, Steve Sano & Ozzie Kotani
5pm - 7pm
Bring: guitar (optional)

Two-part session beginning with Daniel's presentation of the "Secrets of Contemporary Slack Key Guitar" (Alfred Publishing), a book co-authored with Steve Sano. Session covers the G Kilauea tuning, basic fingerstyle techniques, guitar arranging, how to record the guitar and principles to create your own tunings (approx. 30 minutes).

In the second half, Ozzie Kotani and Steve Sano teach how to create arrangements for both solo and duet guitars. Utilizing pieces from their CD of Japanese and Okinawan music, Ozzie and Steve will demonstrate creating arrangements in "traditional" as well as more contemporary styles, and discuss the incorporation of elements from the slack key style
(approx. 90 minutes).

The JACCC is located at 244 S. San Pedro Street in Little Tokyo in Downtown Los Angeles. Convenient parking is located on San Pedro across from the Theatre. For tickets, call (213) 680-3700 Monday through Saturday 12pm to 5pm, Sundays on performance days only, evening shows until intermission.

For more information, visit: www.jaccc.org

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  10:40:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hey - I just posted this yesterday. But Los Angeles seems to get few Hawaiian shows so what the heck.

FYI, I reformatted your bolds from < b > to [ b ]. Wish I could make this event. Sounds awesome!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

SRodriguez
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2004 :  2:34:43 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about the redundancy in posts, I didn't catch that until later -- and thank you for your edits in my html.

Wish you could make the event as well, should be a lot of fun!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000