Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Strings buzzing on frets!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  10:24:35 PM  Show Profile
Some things with guitar just stump me!...I put on a new set of Albert Augustine Med. strings on my classical , tuned to taro patch ..and now some of my strings buzz at the first and second frets!...was up with that?...Anyone?....Ken.

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  11:31:21 PM  Show Profile
I play on classical (nylon) almost exclusively.
(I'm assuming your action isn't set low like for flamenco.)
My experience is I have to use hard tension strings. (I tried extra hard tension, but found that I didn't need to go that "high" for Taro Patch -- if I were using a tuning where I had to slack by 2 whole steps or more I'd go with extra hards.)
I've tried different manufacturers and on my guitar the Hense Hard Tension with Carbon Trebles sound best. Good resonance. Clear ringiging highs. Solid bases. I think the brand will depend on your guitar and "ear."
Raymond
San JOse
Go to Top of Page

lat21north
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  6:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Ken and Raymond,

I do not have a lot of experience with different strings, but there is some good physics involved. To pluck a low tension string and produce the same vibrational energy (volume) that is produced by a higher tension string, you have to displace it further. If a fret is set a little high, if it has migrated upwards, or if there is a bend in the neck/fret board, that string may hit a fret that used to be out of range of a higher tension string.

In adjusting the action to reduce buzz, the first thought is to raise the strings at the bridge, and that will probably work. But it is important to check the nut where the string grooves are cut, especially in guitars without a zero fret. A deeply cut groove (or defective zero fret) will let the string buzz when the string is played open. That buzz disappears when the string is fretted.

Bill
Healdsburg

E holo mua
Bill
Go to Top of Page

bluespiderweb
Akahai

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  8:47:04 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Ken,
There are lots of variables to consider when your strings start to buzz:
1) If your guitar did not buzz before with the other strings tuned to taropatch, then it could be the tension difference as stated by Raymond, or
2) Sometimes if you take all of the strings off at once to change strings, the neck sometimes flexes back to a resting position(with no tension on it) and it will take some time before it will return to the pre-buzzing position, after you have put on new strings. Sometimes with a lower action, a one-at-a-time string changing method works best. In a guitar with an adjustable truss rod, this may be adjusted to get the neck back into the correct position(a slight negative bow-lower in the middle-when sighted from the peghead to the bridge along each edge of the fretboard). Most classical guitars don't have the adjustable rod.
3) If you have not been humidifying your instrument, the top might have dropped due to the drying of the wood, and the action has lowered, resulting in the buzz. Everyone that lives in a cold climate needs to us a a room humidifier or instrument humidifier like a Dampit, Planet Waves, Kyser, or other brand to keep the instrument from drying out too much in the winter when we are heating our living spaces. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! And it cannot be overlooked if you value your instrument. Cracks and warps are just around the corner if you ignore this. (you may already know this-but for anyone who doesn't, I wanted to tell them now).
4) If a part of the neck is higher than other parts(as sighted from the headstock to the bridge), or a fret has risen, these will sometimes cause the buzz also.
5) The open sting buzz(as stated by Bill above)may be a problem-and yes, the nut or the saddle is the problem.
6) Nylon stringed guitars(and ukes) need a higher action because the looser tension of the strings allow for more string vibration and movement, and the saddle can be changed to a higher one, or a less desirable solution(for tone)is to put a shim of wood, plastic or metal under the saddle to raise it to a non-buzzing position.
I hope this helps you, and any others that might be experienceing buzzing. REMEMBER!!! HUMIDIFY THAT INSTRUMENT IF YOUR HEAT IS ON!

Koaniani,
Ola, Barry

Go to Top of Page

OHIO-HAOLE
Akahai

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  6:49:07 PM  Show Profile
Thankyou...everyone...Raymond caught it right off with the fact that I needed higher tension strings...ALL..the info you folks sent me will help ALOT!...on my way right now to pick up a guitar humidifier!...MAHALO again evryone....Ken.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  01:10:35 AM  Show Profile
Glad to be of help - exactly what happened to me when I first started to slack
Raymond
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: