Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 looking for slack key players in Alaska
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  2:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Well, I have been playing this music on the couch, alone, for 7 or 8 years now, and feel the need to learn more, play more, share more slack key with anyone interested in interior Alaska. I live outside of Fairbanks about 25 miles, am willing to travel anywhere in the interior for good musical companionship.
My first taste of Ki ho'alu was on a Public radio show 10 years ago featuring Raymond Kane and Ledward Kaapana. Next exposure was via George Winston, who plays one or two pieces at each piano concert up here. Then, my daughter took a semester at UH, Manoa, and of course I had to go check on her well-being. After an arduous all day search, I found someone in Honolulu who actually had heard of slack key guitar, and had a friend, Bobby Moderow, who played it, and was in fact playing that night at Roy's. Our entourage (my wife, daughter and her boyfriend and another UH swim team member, and I ) showed up during their (MaunaLua) first set. After the second song, I introduced myself to Bobby, and told him I had heard he played slack key. Well, did his face light up or what??? He was thrilled that anyone knew about the art form, and also wanted to hear it. Needless to say, he played several songs, and the band sat with us at every break the rest of the night. I managed to wangle a lesson from Bobby that trip, and have been playing several of the tunes he showed me ever since.
Since then I have immersed myself in instructional videos, listened to every slack key record I can get my hands on, and kept on practicing, and trying to figure out the tunings I am hearing, or just adapting the songs to the tunings a I know.
On a return visit to Hawaii in December 2002, we found the McMasters and Titus Kinimaka on Kauai, ad Kalani Smythe on Maui. I was still rather appalled at the lack of knowledge of the locals about anything to do with slack key music, performers or performance venues. It seems almost to be an underground movement, and unless you know who to ask, you get only "What?????" as an answer.
At a recent Kaapana, Combs, Dennis K. concert here in Fairbanks, i met and got a lesson from Patrick Landeza. He labeled me "hard-core". Not because of any playing prowess, but because my friend and I chose to take our lesson at 1:30am, after the performers had had their reception with the local concert association. It was very much appreciated that Patrick took that time with us, (especially since ha had been awake 20 hours already,and had to catch a plane at 6 am!)and it has only whetted my appetite even more for slack key.
So, anybody out there from within 100 miles of Fairbanks Alaska, reading this, get off your buns and let's get together and make some music.
Karl

Karl
Frozen North

huiohana
Lokahi

115 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  9:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Karl,
Well, sorry I am not in Alaska but I am happy to see the fire in you about your aloha for kiho'alu. I, also, don't understand the lack of interest and knowledge of "slack" here in my Hawaii nei. I think that it is what ever the fad is at the time, that people will take up instruction. Unfortunatly, Kiho'alu is not on the minds of local people. Maybe it is good, because it is not so watered down like ukulele is. But, keep practicing and it will cycle around and you will be one to teach someone soon.
What I actually wanted to tell you was, I knew brada Bobby Moderow and he was a very nice guy. I met him through a friend of my family. Things worked out where their group played for my sons 1st birthday party. It turned out so nice. We see him now and then, at falsetto contests or shows and he continues to show the aloha spirit.
By the way, the family friend of ours is Matt Swalinkavich aka. Makana. He plays kiho'alu and has a few c.d.s out. He is one of young lions of slack-key out now. His mentor was the late, great Sonny Chillingsworth. Good Luck and happy tunings...a hui hou, Keali'i K.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2004 :  9:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Aloha Keali'i
Thanks for the encouragement. :Last time I spoke with Bobby, he mentioned Makana, that he had been one of Bobby;s students as a kid, and had a new CD out. This young man is a real talent, and you are so lucky to have him near you. Last time in Hawai'i I had trouble finding ANY slack key. Next time,. i know who to contact; you, and Bobby, and a host of others who have been posting on this wonderful site.
Likewise, if any of you in the islands wish to come to Alaska for a visit, please contact me. I can help you with plans, and perhaps we can find a place to meet and jam a little.
Aloha,
Karl
Frozen North

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000