Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Looking for people to play and learn with
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  12:55:36 PM  Show Profile
I think I may have posted something similar to this awhile back, if so I blame age and well never mind what else . I live in Pacifica CA. and have gotten through the first three songs in Ozzie's book and a couple in my John Fahey book. I'm looking for people, slack keyers, uke players, lap steel, hawaiian drum what ever to work out material to play locally or on the street(I think it's called buckstering)and to generally have fun and challenge ourselves to get better. I work as a maintenance man in a school district and the music teachers of two of the schools allowed me to play the three songs I knew and two uke songs for their classes. I made a few mistakes-even had to start over once I was so nervous- but the kids loved it and I even used the mistake as a lesson of not giving up something you really want to do just because it's hard. But I had such a good time I'd like to do some more. I surf occasionally in Santa Cruz so wouldn't mind combining a surfari with a slackfari, let me know.

Mahalo all,and to all a good night

Jon the Waverider

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2003 :  9:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Jon,
Sappose you come holoholo to La Honda bumbye, we go jam. (I'm off to Mau'i next week for George's workshop, but you could call me aftah Dec. 9). My kids have an acoustic trio (island style), and maybe you like jam wid dem too. K'den.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  10:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Sounds real good Bwop,I'll e-mail ya my vitals.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

allthumz
Aloha

2 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2003 :  11:16:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi -

I live in Hayward. I've been playing for about 2 1/2 years and I know just a handful of songs. If you want to get together and play, drop me a line at cbobisud @ pacbell.net.

Also, there are a number of slack key players in the bay area that occasionally host a kanikapila.

Clay
Go to Top of Page

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  12:08:13 PM  Show Profile
Bwop and Clay,
I need your phone numbers to contact you. I think I e-mailed you mine, if not I'll send it to you both when I recieve yours. I took the liberty of contacting Ray Stovich in San Jose to join us and maybe hold a workshop for a group rate. What are your thoughts?

WaveriderJon
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  1:00:11 PM  Show Profile
WaveriderJon,

I would be happy to share what I know. My style is primarily solo playing, strongly melody based. (Samples of my original work are on my website, but this does not include "covers," and, terefore, most of my Hawaiian repetoire. http://home.netcom.com/~lsrs/ ) I do teach individually and my goal is first of all helping students learn basic techniques so they are ergomonically safe, then learning the taro patch fret board well enough, coupled with some basic ear training, so they can be on their own, enjoy playing, come up with arrangements they can be proud of, and be able to figure out most songs from CD's. Some people stay with me longer primarily for repetoire building. My teaching style is based on my professional work where I have an excellent rep. as a teacher and coach. I'm learning how to translate that to guitar. I've never "taught" a group session, but if the group is small enough, under 6, it would be fun to try. When I teach, I also pass out TAB - but some of it is written very "isiosyncratically" - so I typically don't give it out without going over it with the person beorehand. No problem in lessons or groups.

I do charge - my standard rate schedule is this: you have to pay me something. I recommend you factor in your income, living expenses and the value of what you get from me. typically people give money, but one person brought me a basket of some of the most wonderful tomatos they grew in their back yard. For the group, I would suggest that when the session is done, each person gives me an envelope or other form of payment.

I love to share what I know and am certainly open to doing so for whoever wants to work with me.

Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  5:23:47 PM  Show Profile
O.K. That's clear enough for me. I'd be excited to do something like this. What do you guy's think? Bwop what do your boy's think? Either way bruddah Ray, I'll definately be takin' you up on your offer sometime soon.
Thanks again,
Jon

p.s.
Ray, you got any dietary restrictions(you can e-mail me the answer to this ).

Jon
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  7:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha mai e Jon,
Got your e-mail and lost it (new cooputer-- I'm challanged now). Please send me phone numbah again...
I would like to host kanikapila here in La Honda at my house for free, maybe January and den and den.... We do one pot=luck and play til da finahs break. I just spent time living with a saint in Honokahau, and I know I have to do thisl So,. k'den, I'll make a stab-- Saturday, January 17th, from 3:00 til..., pot-luck suppah, Kanikapila- who's coming??? E-mail me, and I'll give you directions. I so want to play with people.
(My kids will probably join, too).
WELL?? (How 'bout-- Julie & Larry, Larry & Cyn, Raymond, and who else lives within a biscuit-heave of La Honda???).

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  7:23:40 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Peter (Bwop)!
I'd like to come to your kanikapila! I'll bring a yummy dish too! Mahalo for the invite! I'm just down the road in Sunnyvale.

Edited by - Stacey on 12/17/2003 7:24:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2003 :  11:55:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Stacey,

Glad to see you are back in the mix. I guess your hand/arm is beginning to feel a little better.

Bwop,

Thx for recent CD. Yer suggested kani is right close ta my bday... doen-cha-no? Afta all, I yam George's senior (by one day). Dis is why I gots such control over heem. (NOT) Mom-en-nem gonna hava fit o'er dis, buttle tri ta maykit anywhey.

Yaah Sheeyewre... ya betcha....

Aye wakarimas...

Mixed idioms r us...

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  12:05:59 AM  Show Profile
Yo Lawrence, care to translate?

Peter, it all sounds good to me. I bet Larry is willing as well, he's so easy to entice! Keep us in the loop on developments. Sure had a great time at your house the other weekend, sorry you were in Hawai'i! Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  12:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Lawrence!
Yeah ~ da hand is mucho mucho better!!! Glad dat's ovah wit! Whew! Will be great to see y'all at Bwop's!
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2003 :  8:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha all,
E Stacey, glad your hand mo bettah. Lawrence, WHAT????? Julie, NEVER EVER say "sorry you were in Hawai'i"-- it's bad grammar.
I'm so happy to invite you all. Everybody come and we have one big pah-te, yeah??
Mahalo!

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

waveriderjon
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  4:12:45 PM  Show Profile
Man oh Man, this is turning out GREAT. Now I get to meet a bunch of Taro patchers too. I'll see if my wife and daughters want to come too just for fun.

WaveriderJon
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  03:11:41 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Peter:

Please add me to the list for the kani kapila - although if I live within a biscuit throw, it has to be the lightest biscuit ever baked! No distance is to far for a kani kapila. Can we talk about your driveway? <G>

cathe
Go to Top of Page

joeycastaneda
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  11:48:59 PM  Show Profile
Can another fellow slack key fan join in. I've been playing around with slack key for the past two years off and on. I took a couple of lessons from Patrick last year but had to put the guitar down for awhile and just recently picked it back up. I could definitly use some help on learning to play slack key. If someone can email me with the details it would be great. joeycastaneda @ mac.com

Aloha,
Joey
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000