Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Maui Slack Key Workshop
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  3:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I will be in Maui in mid June 2004, and my time there will overlap with George Kahumoku's workshop, but I won't be there for all of it. Has anyone attended the workshop just for a few days? If I hadn't just spent $3000-plus on my plane tickets already, I would change the dates to match the workshop, but what's done is done.
Jesse Tinsley
PS-I will email George with questions, but it's still a little early in the planning. I know there are some workshop veterans on Taropatch.net.....

tahitijack
Aloha

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  11:27:05 AM  Show Profile
I hope you are kidding about $3,000 for airline tickets. I will assume you are full fair first class so you should be able to change the reservation without penalty fees, especially since the flight is over three months out. I would call today and make the change so you can take adantage of all of George's classes. I took a one day from him a couple of years ago and learned alot and at the end of the day wanted more....good luck and Happy Sunsets!

Happy Sunsets

Edited by - tahitijack on 02/29/2004 08:48:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  1:22:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I know that there have been students from Japan who have attended partial camps. Had to get back to work or for other reasons.

Sounds, though, like you may be wondering if that would require full tuition or not. As you've indicated, best bet would be to contact George directly. A topic better held offline.

You might also get a tentative schedule to get an idea what you'd be there for and what you'd be missing. May help you make a decision whether you want to attend.

All the camps are a fantastic time. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  3:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Jesse, I agree with tahitijack...unless you're flying out a family of 6 you should be able to do much better than $3,000 for airfare, especially from Idaho. See if you can cancel and rebook with cheaper fares.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

aplenty
Akahai

62 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  5:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit aplenty's Homepage
A friend just purchased round trip ticket to/from Idaho for under $500... coach.

Aloha nui,
Sandy & Doug
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  8:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Jesse,
Knowing George, I figgah you could work out anything.
The format for this year's workshop has several probable changes. Keoki is starting with a 'ukulele workshop from Wensday to Saturday, Sunday is the renown trip to Kahukoloa Valley, and then the ki ho'alu from Monday through to the Mau'i Slack Key Festival on Sunday. In previous years, the first few days were spent as a more "beginners" opening, with an incredibly intense few days following. This year is likely to have some wonderful full-week classes (including "Kane & Wahine Hula", perhaps "Rythym" w/ Bob Brozman, "Oli" with Danny Palakiko, etc. Dennis will be there for two days, and Cyril for two days. Keoki and George, Ozzie and possibly others there all week (hopefully Carlos Andrade, and, e Kevin, I really hope to spock you there). Don't quote me, nothings stuck in cement poi, but I, for one, would advise you to talk with George and Nancy, and by all means do wotevah necessary to get your okole there all week. Short da life, no, yeah?

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  10:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahaloz for the tips! I am going with a family of five, including two small children, and the airfare for the group was about $2600, which I plunked down as soon as George Bush and the IRS got it back to me a week ago. I couldn't find anything else cheaper, so it's set in stone now. Add the rental car, budget condo and meals, and the trip total will be the price of a good used car. We'll be on the island June 10-25.
Because of the two toddlers and shuttling their tutu wahine around the island, I won't be able to just disappear for very long. Other plans include connecting with some long lost 'ohana, plenty plate lunches and playing tourist for a couple weeks.
But when George gets a schedule up, I'll email him about a partial session. I would be interested in Keoki's ukulele workshop, too. And I'm hoping there will be other informal opportunities to hear music and jam.
At the very least, it would be fun to meet some other Taropatchers!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000