Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 barney isaacs cd/ elodia kane
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mark m
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2004 :  6:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Hello folks,

I bought the barney isaacs' cd with george kuo at least 10 years ago. They are playing acoustic steel guitar and slack key. I really love the sound and the spirit of the music. Do you guys/gals know other cds like this that have acoustic steel guitar backed up by a slack key guitar?

I also got the Ray Kane cd with a duet with his wife Elodia Kane. I like her voice a lot and I'm trying to find out if there's more old school singers like her. Please let me know if you guys can think of some.

Mahalo,
Mark

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  02:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Maybe you know already, but Auntie Elodia has some CD's of her own too.
Just search for "Elodia" on Mele, or I can give you one address for direct orders.
Try her "Tribute to Lena Machado" CD. In fact, check out the "Lena Machado, Hawai`ian Songbird" disc.

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 06/07/2004 03:00:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  11:20:37 AM  Show Profile
Try Genoa Keawe, maybe also Darlene Ahuna, I also like Amy H. Gilliom, but she may be a bit "contemporary" for you.
Kekui Kanahele has some of the best styling around, but is very unique and a lot of casual listeners prefer "prettier" sounding singers.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  2:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
have you heard auntie irmgard farden? she's got that old time sound, although not as strong as genoa keawe (whose version of "e mama e" gives me chicken skin just to think about). anyway, there is one CD of auntie irmgard, "from irmgard with love", that you should give a listen to.

Keith

Edited by - marzullo on 06/07/2004 7:55:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  3:29:31 PM  Show Profile
Irmgard is great.
Kuuipo Kumukahi good too.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  5:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
To hear acoustic steel guitar, you will want to listen to steel master Bob Brozman's recordings with Led Ka'apana and Cyril Pahinui. They're great.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  8:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Ken Emerson does both slack and steel--in fact, has a CD by that title. Bob Brozman is a technically strong player and can be pretty intense, but the feel of his collaborations with Cyril and Led is quite different from the vibe that Barney and George projected.
Go to Top of Page

mark m
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  7:49:45 PM  Show Profile
Aloha & Mahalo to you folks for the help, i'll try to find those recordings you guys/gals suggested. I agree with Russell, Bob Brozman is a great player but doesn't quite have the same style/effect as Barney Isaacs.

Keep on pickin,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2004 :  11:46:27 AM  Show Profile
These instrumental steel-plus-guitar CDs are worth mentioning also:

Jerry Byrd with Hui `Ohana
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/255.htm

Maile Serenaders
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/144.htm
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/145.htm

And speaking of Ken Emerson, he's got a new instrumental steel CD releasing later this month ("Hawaiian Tangos, Hulas & Blues").

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2004 :  8:36:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
After being with Bob Brozman at the Kahumoku music camp, I understand better where he's coming from when he's playing Hawaiian music. When Bob is playing music, it's more about musicality than holding to Hawiian musical tradition. Bob is such a musical technician that he breaks down the music he's playing into rhythm and notes, then adds his wideranging musical sensibilities to the performance.
I suggested that his wide travels as an ethnomusicologist cross-pollinates his own musical sense with local traditions. He said that the anthropologist's creed of observing without altering doesn't apply to musicians, who are constantly changing and adapting foreign instruments and ideas into their own musical culture, just as Hawaiians have for almost 200 years. Bob also gathers unneeded musical instruments, mostly guitars, and send them to countries that need them. He's even sending dozens of ukuleles to Papua, New Guinea. Who knows what will come out of New Guinea in a few years?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  9:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
You might also like Owana Salazar's "Wahine Slack & Steel".
It was a 2003 release and a Na Hoku Hanohano award winner as well.

http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2542.htm

Hmmm, just noticed she has a new or soon to be released "Hula Jazz" CD on Mele.com, but the link isn't complete yet. Anyone heard it?

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 07/13/2004 9:50:35 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000