Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Seattle area slack key groups?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  7:32:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I am an aspiring slack key guitar player looking to jam with others in the Seattle area. Any of you out there know of such a group? Thanks Rich

[moved by Admin from "Introduce Yourself" forum]

Rich Smith

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  12:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Rich, i dont know of any jam groups, i and another member of this forum attend a slack key class at the Federal Way campus of Highline comm college, pretty informal, 5 students total this quarter, email me if you have any questions, Lee.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  8:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Actuallly I live in Issaquah, but I'd be surprised if there are any Hawaiian guitar events on the eastside (bit of a cultural backwater in some ways).
Thanks for the tip on the Dusty Strings workshop.

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2004 :  3:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Aloha e Rich,

A few years back there were a few of us who would get together somewhat regular-like. Maybe we can get something like that going again. I've been letting the fingers get soft, so it's about time I did some kine to start playing again. I'm just up the hill from you in Sammamish.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  4:04:49 PM  Show Profile
Shaka Bruddah! Lesgo! Rich

quote:
Originally posted by Bruddah Chrispy

Aloha e Rich,

A few years back there were a few of us who would get together somewhat regular-like. Maybe we can get something like that going again. I've been letting the fingers get soft, so it's about time I did some kine to start playing again. I'm just up the hill from you in Sammamish.

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  6:00:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm in the Federal Way class, but live in Bellevue. Not too good, but willin' to try with youse guys (& maybe add in 'nother friend or 2)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  7:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi jean! i'm down on the bottom end of the left coast, but i wanted to welcome you to taropatch.net! it's good to see you here...

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2004 :  12:49:22 PM  Show Profile
Jean, are you in the Federal Way class now? Thats a long hike from Bellevue. I am in Issaquah. Will you be taking the Slack Key class at Dusty Strings Aug 28?

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2004 :  12:32:28 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rich_Smith

Jean, are you in the Federal Way class now? Thats a long hike from Bellevue. I am in Issaquah. Will you be taking the Slack Key class at Dusty Strings Aug 28?

Yup, though I missed the last 2 weeks 'cause I went to Keola's Aloha Music Camp (part of me is still there, methinks). Yeah, it's a bit of ahaul, 'specially at rush hour, but worth it for live instruction. You're welcome to go with me if you wanna & are free then. Email me at neeej @ aol.com if you want (use an obvious subject line so I don't delete ya).

I do hope to do the Dusty Strings thing (assuming Mark doesn't take one look at me & run screaming from the building <G>)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2004 :  11:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Howzit!

I haven't visited the TaroPatch net recently because of a new job and only now noticed this post that's a little old. I'm a beginning slack key player living in Olympia but would welcome the chance to get together with others, even if it's in the Seattle area, if something is put together. I'm about an hour from Seattle.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  8:20:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I'm about an hour from Seattle.

Shucks, at rush hour I allow more'n that much time to get to Federal Way from Bellevue---come join us, my friend :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Rich_Smith
Lokahi

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  10:13:52 AM  Show Profile
Jean, I'm looking forward to meeting you at the Dusty Strings Slack Key workshop on August 28. Rich

Rich Smith
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2004 :  01:31:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rich_Smith

Jean, I'm looking forward to meeting you at the Dusty Strings Slack Key workshop on August 28. Rich

2 Smiths in 1 workshop---poor Mark <EG>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  12:51:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking about making the hour drive to attend the Dusty Strings workshop and haven't ever been to one. Any of you ever been to one? How is it run? How many usually attend? The two workshop deal seems like a bargain. I consider myself a beginner but can a beginner learn anything in the intermediate workshop or would it just be over my head?

Mahalo,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  5:04:39 PM  Show Profile
Actually, you'd be better off asking Mark directly. DS offers the space, but Mark's in charge for the Aug 28th classes).

In the last sessions, about 10 or so people showed up for each class (with about 3 attending both sessions). Parking can be awful , but there are several (overpriced) lots in the area. Lots of good places for chow, too!

Beginner class starts out assuming that you are at least familiar with a guitar...in other words, you've at least touched one. Mark starts off low ("Here's how to tune to Taropatch...that's open G...now strum all the strings...there! you've learned your first chord") but increases the level of difficulty as quickly as the class allows. You will be working on a new piece before class lets out.

Intermediate goes on from there. If you've ever played any slack key piece in any tuning, then you will be ok in the intermediate. And, if you've been playing for years, you'll STILL be ok in the intermediate. He covers different tunings, plays around with several pieces, and is open for any questions. He has handouts for both classes (different ones)

Main thing with Mark's classes...you have fun. And you learn something.

Oh, and PS...Dusty Strings is a VERY dangerous place for a guitarist to go...you get a serious case of GAS (guitar acquistion syndrome)

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  7:05:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions jaydub and Eric. I just called DS and asked a few questions as I don't know Mark's email address. I just mailed a check for both sessions and I'll see how it goes. I've spent fifty bucks on a lot worse things before. I look forward to looking around at Dusty Strings even though I'm not in the market for a new guitar. I'm fairly new here and always look forward to checking out a new guitar shop! Hope to meet some Pacific Northwest Taropatchers there too.

Aloha,
John A.

Edited by - javeiro on 08/11/2004 2:30:59 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000