Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Kanikapila Forum
 Seattle area slack key groups?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  7:51:28 PM  Show Profile
Mark's a frequent lurker. He'll pop on at some point...or you can email him using this forum. His Taropatch 'handle' is, originally enough, "Mark"

Puna
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  9:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Warning..At Dusty Strings, it doesnt matter if your in the market for a guitar or not....unfortunately i have to work on Sundays, i missed the last workshop also, i just may come down with a 24 hour bug that day..

Lee
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  12:24:52 AM  Show Profile
kihoalukid: You don't need to get a 24 hour bug ..... the workshop is on Saturday the 28th.

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  02:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Oh, same difference, im off Tuesdays/Wednesdays, we'll see...

Lee
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2004 :  7:02:55 PM  Show Profile
All right, so how many TaroPatchers besides me are attending the Mark Hanson workshop at Dusty Strings next week Saturday the 28th?

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  01:10:51 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by javeiro

All right, so how many TaroPatchers besides me are attending the Mark Hanson workshop at Dusty Strings next week Saturday the 28th?

Well, I'm attending the Mark *Nelson* one there---will that do? <EG>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  10:53:53 AM  Show Profile
Terrific, Jean! There will be at least two of us TaroPatchers there. I don't know how large the class will be but I'll look for you. Have you been to one before? I haven't. Are you taking both sessions too? I'll have to brush up on reading tab. I'm assuming that's what Mark will do.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  2:18:48 PM  Show Profile
I'll be at the intermediate class, but not the beginning/intro class.

For the last intro, Mark focused on technique and only looked at tab near the end of the class. For the intermediate, it was maybe a 50/50 mix of technique and tab.

So you there.

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2004 :  2:57:47 PM  Show Profile
Great Eric. Thanks for letting us know how it works. We'll look for you there too.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  12:11:17 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by javeiro

Terrific, Jean! There will be at least two of us TaroPatchers there. I don't know how large the class will be but I'll look for you. Have you been to one before? I haven't. Are you taking both sessions too? I'll have to brush up on reading tab. I'm assuming that's what Mark will do.

Aloha,

Yah, I was at the one earlier this year---both sessions (both this time too). There'll prolly be at least 2 others from our ki ho`alu class at one or both sessions as well.

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  3:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Howdy, all -

Eric tipped me off to this thread on the phone last night. Yes friends, good old fashioned analog communication!

Anywho, great to hear that they'll be both some familiar faces and new friends in Seattle.

Here's what I'm planning on doing:

Intro will focus a lot on taro patch tuning, some chords, getting your thumb and fingers to work, tunarounds, etc. I'm a big fan of getting the feel for the music, so expect to play your guitar through most of the workshop. I'll have a couple of fingerpicking excercises in TAB, as well as a few fairly challenging arrangements of standards. Fun will be had.

The second one is going to be based around playing slack key... as in "Playing." You know, goofing off. Fooling around, improvising, playing together. Again, based on my observations & many conversations (and a very interesting thread here on TP) I'll be covering how to "hear" a song, how to spontaneous come up with an arrangement, what to do inbetween verses, what to do when someone says, "Take one!" Yes, safety nets are provided in the form of TAB, chord charts, and excercises. I've tabbed out some suggested solos for Hi‘ilawe, among other things.

Fun will also be had.

And, for you uke-a-bangers, I'll be doing a finger-style solos for ‘ukulele workshop on Sunday. This is not a beginning-beginners workshop; but if you are comfortable with all the standard chords and can strum along you should be fine. Knowlege of barre chords a plus-- but don't worry, you'll know 'em by the end.

Feel free to e-mail me with questions, suggestions, requests & hot lunch tips.

cheers,

Mark Nelson (the one with the hair... though not for long)
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  12:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Lunch tips:

Well, Fremont considers itself the 'center of the known universe', and food is well represented.

Across the street from Dusty Strings is a Starbucks and a Peets, for 'go-juice' for those in the early morning class. They also have various pastries plus some sandwiches.

On the corner near DS is Yak's Deli, a great place for teriyaki, stir-fry, humbao (manapua), etc. Around the corner is what used to be called 'Still Life Cafe'. Don't remember the current name, but they lean towards 'healthy' food. So, I never go there!

About a block away is Dad Watsons, one of the McMinniman pubs, great food, GREAT brews (Terminator Stout!). And within a block or so of DS is Mexican, Greek, Italian, Chinese, sushi, pizza, Cold Stone Creamery, etc...

The problem isn't finding a good place to eat. The problem is waddling back to the afternoon class after 'ono grinds and staying awake!

This is gonna be great!

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  11:14:23 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Mark, for letting us know what's in store for us. It will be my first time in one of these workshops and it sounds like it's going to informative and fun as well!

And mahalo to you too, Eric, for the area restaurant review as I haven't been here very long and I've never been to Dusty Strings and don't know the area at all! Hope I don't get lost!

I'm really looking forward to this ..... I'd better go put a new set of strings on my guitar.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  7:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Sounds like it's going to be fun. I've been promising this workshop to myself as a reward if I start playing again. The fingers have gone past sore to numb, so I guess I'm ready. :)

I'm looking forward to meeting you folks there. I'm the haole guy with a rat tail and Led's signature on my guitar.

Hey Mark, be sure to include one plug for Taropatch.net on your handouts, yeah?

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  7:20:01 PM  Show Profile
Terrific, Chris P.! Looks like there will be several of us there. I'll be the dark haired (mixed with lots of gray) local-looking old guy there. I'll probably have my Taylor or my Takamine ..... I haven't quite decided yet. Look forward to meeting you too!

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000