Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Guitar Storage/Display
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  12:27:41 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

How do you store your guitars in your home? I don't mean long term for the ones you seldom play, but how about the favorites you grab daily?

So many guitars are visual works of art in addition to being musical instruments. My wife is thinking of getting some of the wall hangers that guitar shops use and hanging my guitars on the wall in our 'music room' (a small office which got taken over by guitars, 'ukes, and a piano)...out of the sun and any heater vents, naturally.

I wondered what other people are doing. Any creative ideas out there?

Mahalo

Eric

Puna

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  12:39:17 PM  Show Profile
Hate to rain on your parade, but I keep all my guitars in the case. Our weather bounces around, sometimes hot and dry, sometimes cool and humid. I'm not willing to risk a koa guitar to the vagaries weather. It's a Taylor and that's what they recommend. Besides that my wife is always tripping over my stuff and this avoids conflict.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  1:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I have several String Swing wall hangers, but so far I've only been allotted wall space for one of them.

http://www.stringswing.com/

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  2:03:12 PM  Show Profile
Eric,

Mine are always in cases. I used to keep them out as artwork, but they went through too many changes. Not to mention waht a good earthquake can do.

BTW: Your music is in the mail

Dave
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  3:07:52 PM  Show Profile
I also keep mine in cases too. As Terry said, the temperature and humidity are too variable. Also, dogs & cats can't get at them in cases.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  3:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Mine is not so expensive -- I keep it on a stand next to the music stand & chair -- easy to pick up and play, even for a very short time
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  3:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i used to store my guitars in cases, but i ended up not playing them. i started keeping my guitar on a guitar stand and, voila! i started playing again.

i now keep at least one guitar and one uke out on a stand.

my other ukes are hanging on my walls, taunting me to get just a few more.

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  3:50:12 PM  Show Profile
We keep ours in cases, too. More stable climatic conditions inside a case, and no one is gonna trip over the leg of a stand, or step on a guitar, or knock one down.

However, Reid constructed a really slick rack from black tubing and joints, which at about 6 ft long holds about 7 or 8 guitar cases lined up vertically. Very cool. Much better than the way it used to be, with guitars all over the floor. Reid got the construction instructions off a guy's website. The tubing had to be special ordered, though.
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2004 :  4:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Mine are out year-round. One in each room, so it tempts me to play more. Guess some day I may pay for that laziness with a cracked top or somethin, but so far, with all my axes over 5 years old, no problems. The dryness of our winters does not seem to affect them as we leave open buckets of water on the wood stove to evaporate about 4-5 gallojns daioly into the air. Don;t jknow the actual humididy reading, but never seem to have a problem. The only one I need to huidify in winter is the little Schidt & Maul parlor guitar (1846 vintage) that I keep at my office. Ther we have forced air heat and the neck dries out badly leaving the frets exposed, and the top shrinks to the point where the binding will want to come loose. So, that little gem stays in the case in winter. But, it is smiling at me as I type....think i had better pick it up and give it some exercise:> Right Now!
Karl

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  12:27:50 PM  Show Profile
I guess that location is an important consideration. As the many-faceted jaydub points out, Seattle weather is pretty mild. year-round temp range is usually 40 - 80 degrees, with humidity usually around 60% (probably range of 50% to 75% average).

Those in the desert need to add moisture. Those in Hana need to remove moisture.

The house was built for earthquakes...it went through a 6.9 scale 'field test' with only one picture falling over (it was leaning on a ledge) and breaking the glass. No kids, and reasonably well-behaved (ie, lazy) cats.

So perhaps I have more options than those of you that are in less temperate or more 'boisterous' environments.

That said, I also think that having the guitars out, visible, increases practice time...at least for people who are easily distracted by chores, like me. Moana said that Keola positions his guitars in rooms that he has to walk through, so that they can taunt him constantly.

Thank you for your input. Another admirable point that jaydub made was contacting a luthier...there are a couple that live near me, so they are used to the local conditions.

Mahalo,

Eric

Puna
Go to Top of Page

LikaNui
Aloha

40 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  4:54:06 PM  Show Profile
I imagine everyone knows to keep a small bag or two of silica in your guitar cases to absorb any moisture. They're typically about 4" long; I put mine in the cases under the necks of the guitars. The silica bags are available at any hardware store, though pricey; instead, go to your local motorcycle dealer where they'll probably have a ton of them to give you for free, since the silica bags are packed in the crates in which the motorcycles are shipped.
If they do absorb moisture, the bags can be dried in the sun or in a microwave oven.
I've also used them on my boats, in drawers and shelves, etc. I found larger bags (10" to 12" long) at an importer of large industrial equipment; again, they were more than happy to give me all I wanted for free.
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2004 :  5:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Here's an interesting article from Taylor.

http://taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/music_room.pdf

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  04:22:15 AM  Show Profile
Hey Erksome--

Well, having recently been to my house in Hana you know what I'm going through to wring the moisture out of the air just so I can keep my guitars handy. I have to say, it is worth the effort. I like having them easily accessible; I like being taunted by them (they win every time); and I like looking at them at every opportunity. I am finding that they all play much better since I've been conditioning my air.

Duke
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  04:24:29 AM  Show Profile
P.S.

That Taylor article, referenced above, is what I used as my guide for setting up my music room.

duke
Go to Top of Page

hakeedude
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  09:28:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hakeedude's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by dl584

Here's an interesting article from Taylor.

http://taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/music_room.pdf

Darin-how do you like your Taylor 614CE? I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago and love it!

Michael
Hawai`i Pictures including 2004 Aloha Music Camp at: http://community.webshots.com/user/hakeedude
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2004 :  11:56:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm back......

I gotta agree with Fran on this one. String hangars, and lots of them. I keep 15+ guitars on my walls, but only 2 in the living room, cause it would be overkill. Don't ya know. Unless you live in an extremely dry area, I think the whole humidity issue is a bit overrated. JMHO. Maybe the exception would be in a cold clime, where your house is buttoned up in the winter, with the heater on.

That said, anyone else tried Black Diamond strings?..the black colored ones? BOOMING lows. I love em.

Cmdr /I would never hijack a thread/ Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000