Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The basic Library
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2004 :  2:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Here are my picks:

1) Dancing Cat's Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Master Collection, Vol 1 or Vol 2. Either CD is a nice sampler of modern slack key guitar. I slightly prefer the second volume. It has a few tracks with vocals which add some variety to the collection.

2) Pure Gabby. It's a classic and it's full of great tunes.

3) Either Ray Kane's Punahele (a nice album by another "old master") or Ozzie Kotani's To Honor A Queen. All the tunes on Ozzie's album are by Queen Liliuokalani. Ozzie's playing and arrangements are sweet and give the tunes a bit of a modern feel. The album is in Taropatch tuning except for a few tunes using the Drop C variation. It shows how much mileage you can get out of Taropatch.

Gary

Edited by - Gary A on 08/05/2004 2:28:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  1:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by duke

There's a collection of great, traditional slack key recordings called "Slack-Key Tradition" Liko Hawaiian Folk Collection: Vol. Two, that would be one of my three desert-island CDs. It features Robert Keli'iho'omalu Jr., Elmer Lim, Gary Haleamau and Nolan Ha'o. All of these guys are some of the slack key world's best kept secrets.
Thanks to ersome's great find posted in his Slack Key Tradition post - I just got 2 copies of this out-of-print CD. Kainoa Makua helped me out.

CDs $12/tapes $6 + $6 shipping on the first item, $2 per additional item.

If you're interested, here's the contact info:
Kainoa Makua
puna @ *NO_SPAM*namakua.com
Phone# 808-969-7985
fax# 808-969-3132
Na Makua
P.O.Box 10460
Hilo, HI 96721

FYI, of course remove the *NO_SPAM* from the email. Also, very oddly, my emails sent to this address always bounced back so I assumed they never went through. Then Kainoa usually emailed me back about a week later. So perhaps, it's better to call or fax. I ended up faxing my credit card info because Kainoa was out when I phoned.

Thanks for the great lead Eric! Instrumental slack key, great arrangements and playing. Awesome CD!

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000