Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 NYC: Patrick Makuakane & Na Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  4:53:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Lincoln Center Out of Doors 2004 - Finding Our Roots - Embracing Our Future

"FINDING OUR ROOTS - EMBRACING OUR FUTURE"
August 10-30, 2004
Sponsored by Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman

CELEBRATING THE ARTS OF THE PACIFIC RIM
With Outstanding Performing Artists From Around the Globe
Plus
SONNY ROLLINS
CHICK COREA
ARLO GUTHRIE
SAW DOCTORS
RONALD K. BROWN/EVIDENCE
PLENA LIBRE
...and many, many more!

34th Season of Over 100 FREE Music, Dance, and Special Events
On the Plazas of Lincoln Center August 10-30, 2004

Lincoln Center Out of Doors , Lincoln Center's largest and longest-running community outreach program, returns for its 34th summer season, August 10th through the 30th. This brilliant spectrum of FREE music, dance, literary events, and interactive fun representing cultures from around the world is one of New York's most anticipated summer traditions and draws tens of thousands of people each year.

This year's festival theme, "Finding Our Roots - Embracing Our Future," explores an exciting mix of performing arts from all over the globe. It includes a special celebration of arts from the Pacific Rim with both classic and modern arts traditions from Korea, Japan, Taiwan, The Philippines, Indonesia, New Zealand, Colombia, Peru, and the U.S. Pacific Rim highlights include the joyous thunder of Taiwan's Ju Percussion Group; the annual Heritage Sunday with music and dance from Colombia, Peru, and the Southern Philippines; the New York debut of the internationally renowned Na Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu hula company; Indonesian rock from Krakatau Ensemble; traditional Korean music and dance with Sounds of Korea; and dance on the plaza with Kahurangi Maori Dance Theater of New Zealand.

< snip >

Hawaiian Celebration: Na Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu - A Feast of Hula
(August 15-16) - Na Lei Hula I Ka Wekiu ("the many feathered wreaths at the summit, held in high esteem") makes its New York debut and its first appearance on the East Coast with two breathtaking evenings of dance. Based in San Francisco, this 51-member group focuses on ancient Hawaiian tradition and spiritual expression, while, at the same time, showcasing hula as a living and evolving art form. The women's hula is very dream-like, while the men's is fierce and warrior-like. Patrick Makuakane, the Kumu Hula, or company director serves as choreographer and provides the only music for the live performances: chanting.
** As part of its historic New York debut, Na Lei Hula I Ka Wekiu will also present a special lecture/demonstration on Thursday, August 17, at 3 PM, in the Bruno Walter Auditorium of the New York Library of the Performing Arts, Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Center.
Parsons Dance Company

Excerpt from http://www.lincolncenter.org/popUp/media_release.asp?pressreleaseid=383

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  5:15:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
For more info, visit: http://www.naleihulu.org

Na Le Hulu I Ka Wekiu in New York City!
Saturday August 14
National Museum of the American Indian
Native Sounds Downtown
Performance

Sunday August 15
Monday August 16
The Lincoln Center Out of Doors presents
Performance: Na Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu - A Feast of Hula

Monday August 16
Tuesday August 17
The Lincoln Center Out of Doors presents
Workshops: Patrick Makuakane and Na Lei Hulu I Ka Wekiu
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  10:33:06 AM  Show Profile
Andy
I'm leaving for NY today, will be there for a week on biz. I was planing on going to see Patricks group on Sunday for sure. These folks are unbeleivable.
Maybe see you there I'll look for taropatch button. Haven't ordered mine yet

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  11:14:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, I will be away for the weekend. My only chance is to get in Monday if my schedule permits. If you want to meet up, drop me an email.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  11:47:25 AM  Show Profile
Andy,
Sent you an e-mail
Thanks

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2004 :  2:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Unfortunately, I missed the show. But here's a write up from the New York Times... Wit Is Wrapped in Grass Skirts as Hawaii Meets Lincoln Center

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000