Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Wolf Trap Hawai`i Concert
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  4:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Did anyone catch the show at Wolf Trap??

Reviews, please!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  10:54:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
No, but I am told it was sold out with 5,000 attending
Go to Top of Page

launie
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  12:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit launie's Homepage
Ah, what a show! My first visit to the Filene Center (Wolf Trap) when there wasn't a downpour, so the people out on the lawn stayed dry.

Instead of putting on my journalist hat and writing about the show (thereby having to make copious notes, filling in all the details), I spent the whole time just sitting back and really enjoying the music. So, no song titles, sorry.

The whole thing started with Keoki Kahumoku, David Kamakahi, Herb Ohta Jr and Patrick Landeza coming out and sharing the next half hour or so. Lots of group stuff with leads switching between one and the others. David and Herb did some lovely duets on ukuleles, all four played beautifully, Keoki's singing was masterfully expressive and can you think of a better host than Patrick?

Dennis Kamakahi was next up, joined by son David. They did a great musical tour featuring lots of material from David's new album. A touch of cajun, some Mexican, Cole Porter ... hey, I think there was even a spot of Hawaiian in there too!!!

Led Kaapana was next. What can you say? Lovely giggle, superb playing, excellent singing. I've yet to see a bad show by Led.

Speaking personally, I think the show should have ended there. I was in heaven. The Brothers Cazimero took the stage after the break, along with seven dancer/singers, a superb steel guitarist and a wonderful hula dancer. I was so blissed out from the slack key that I have no idea what all their names were, though I think the steel guitarist might have been called Oreo or something. The Brothers Caz put on a great show: non-stop, lots to look at and to listen to, neat humor, the works. But as we drove the two and a half hours back home, all I could do was talk about the slack key players. (Which is rather amusing really, cos the others in the car were fast asleep and had no idea there were jams all around the DC and Baltimore beltways! It's rte.15 next time for sure!)

So, I think the sold out crowd ended up getting two shows for the price of one. And both shows were excellent. One of the most impressive parts was how the slack key players were all mingling with the audience for ages after the show had finished - nice touch, that. People really appreciated it.

We've just had a feast of slack key of late here in our area - this show and also George Kahumoku along with Keoki and Nancy and Job Cabaso doing a little tour. That should keep me going 'til vacation - I'm off to Hawaii in two months, yay!

Jamie

ps - do I get paid for doing this? Never mind, just thought I'd ask.
Go to Top of Page

launie
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2004 :  12:56:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit launie's Homepage
'Chips Ahoy' - that was the steel guitarist's name!

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  3:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
The steel guitarist's real name is Jeff AuHoy. Great guy.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2004 :  6:38:49 PM  Show Profile
Jeff is such a talent -- and so young, to be so adroit on steel. He also is part of the group-formerly-known-as-Kilinahe (I think they're Holunape, now) -- who can be heard many places in Honolulu/Waikiki. Great traditional and contemporary Hawaiian music.

In addition to Jeff, band members are Kama Hopkins, Kekoa Kauhiwa and Kanai'a Nakamura. If you see that they're playing anywhere, go see 'em.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000