Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Bay Area Hawaiian Music Institute
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  10:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Ok...here's another idea vision thingy I have to run by the taropatch ohana! I'm thinking of producing ukulele, slack key, song writing workshop that will last from 2-3 days. The workshops instructors will be,

Dennis Kamakahi (song writing class, int/adv slack key class)
Herb Ohta, Jr (beg/adv ukulele)
David Kamakahi (beg/adv ukulele)
Patrick Landeza teaching beginner slack key class
possibly others tba

This will take place somewhere in the Bay Area the weekend of Aug 20-22. I am currently looking for classroom space. Each class will have a maximum of 10-12 people. If there are more interested then I can open up another section. Kanikapila is encouraged and possible concert at the end of event (and luau? why not since we're there!) I hope to add a childrens element as well, ukulele for kids but still an idea...

Cost will be $100 min (depending on room rentals) not including materials that instructor may have. Classes will run 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours daily

I need feedback! What do you think, is there interest, this can also make it to other cities in the future! My goal is to get everyone together and to renew contacts and make new ones. Let me know!

Aloha!
Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com

Edited by - hwnslacker on 06/16/2004 10:36:43 AM

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  1:07:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Do you mean there will be a total of 2-2.5 hours of classes a day or that each class will run 2-2.5 hours?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  5:00:35 PM  Show Profile
I could go for a three day 2 - 2.5 hr. class depending on instructor and content. If it were Ozzie - I'd sign up at the drop of a hat. Others, not so sure.
My interest is fairly specific - G Taro Patch, intermediate-advanced.
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  5:28:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
If such a class ever wandered up to Seattle, I would sign up.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  5:39:33 PM  Show Profile

The going rate round here for group workshops is about $30
for two hours or $15 per hour.

(for instance Led's workshop next month at Gryphon)

So for a multi-class event bulk discount applies and $100
should buy you four two hour sessions or $12.50 per hour.

I imagine you are talking about parallel tracks, with
separate Uke and Guitar tracks? This would be fine for
me as I am avoiding the uke untill I can play guitar and
sing well (not likely to happen!).

I would be happy to sign up for one of these things provided
that 1) The sessions are in the evening or on weekends and
2) I do not have to drive more than 45 minutes one way.
(I reside on the mid penninsula)

Picky....Picky....Picky...

It sure beats flying all the way to Hawaii (expense and time
wise), as I am about to do.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  5:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
I LOVE these responses!! This is what I wanted to hear! I already know that the interest outside our Taropatch Ohana is pretty big and with major festivals coming up I know the slots would fill with a strong marketing plan. Honestly, I wish I had things like this when I was growing up in the Bay Area learning Slack Key.

Clarifications:
I was thinking of doing 2 hour or maybe 2 and a half hours of instruction for 3 days. If it is only 2 days then I will increase the time. Lawrence this is up your alley and in your hood! GO! LOL!

Patrick
www.patricklandeza.com

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  5:58:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'd be interested but in order to make it worthwhile to fly up I would want to be able to take both intermediate slack key/songwriting AND beginning ukulele classes. In other words, parallel tracks wouldn't be of interest. But that's just me.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Douglas23d
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  6:01:39 PM  Show Profile
Seattle is within driving distance of Portland/SW Washington so I'd be game for that. However, with enough forewarning and a little logisitical engineering, I'd probably be able to coincide a business trip with a Friday/Weekend seminar in the Bay Area. Either way, it sounds promising.

Aloha Kakou

Doug
Perpetuate the Music of Your Culture, for in the Music, the Story is told.
Go to Top of Page

TonyFrancis
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  6:35:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit TonyFrancis's Homepage
I'd be stoked to attend a Bay Area workshop!
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  9:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Craig you know I had that in mind and just waiting for someone to bring up that situation! At the most, I will figure out how a person can take up to two classes...now this all depends on the instructor as well...

Seattle is not FAR!!! It's just a Southwest flight away. I will give Taropatch Ohana a chance to pre-register before I launch campaign. I want small classes...mahalo you guys for your input!

Patrick
www.patricklandeza.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2004 :  11:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Sounds awesome, Patrick. Aug 20-22?!?! Hey, I'll be visiting CA the following week. See you then... http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1762

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lopaka
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  10:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Lopaka a Yahoo! Message
Count me in! Thanks Patrick

H a w a i i a n ..at heart!
Go to Top of Page

lat21north
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2004 :  5:36:18 PM  Show Profile
Aloha 'auinala,

What an opportunity. Alas, these great events always seem to find me in Kihei. If by chance you extend it to the following weekend for Andy or others, I will be there.

Do i spend to much time in Hawai'i ala?

Bill

E holo mua
Bill
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2004 :  01:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Patrick,

Just read your post from 6/16 about doing a weekend seminar. It sounds great, even though I am a little far from you guys down there. If you do anything in Oregon, I'll be there in a hot minute. You may get lots of interest from folks here (Eugene or Portland). I just got an email from George Kahumoku Jr. saying he did a workshop here last year (what planet was I on when that happened?). Seattle is also a possibility. Bay Area a little more tricky, but maybe can do. I think it's a great idea and certainly a wonderful option for us who can't go to the islands as readily. Thanks for your vision and the opportunity to play and learn with you all!

Mahalo - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  03:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Aloha Maggie!!

I have a new saying..."You're only a Southwest flight away!" Ha! It is a possibility taking this to Pacific Northwest as well...

Aloha Maggie!
Patrick
www.patricklandeza.com

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2004 :  07:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aye, Patrick!

Yes, it's true about Southwest (if you're in Portland)! Whatever you plan, it sounds exciting and hopefully something that I can attend in the Bay Area this year. Thanks for all that you do and keep us posted!

Mahalo - Maggie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000