Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Bay Area Hawaiian Music Institute
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  10:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Hi Pat,
Count me in. Couldn't make Napili this year, so a more local workshop would be great. I want to talk alot more about this idea with you, so I'll call probably Monday.

Hey, great show last night at Noe Valley!
I'd love to hear more jams like that little one you and Uncle Cyril did...ono brah!

Ross
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2004 :  12:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
Id be game if it ever made it to the n/w area if work doesnt interfere, great show up here last month by the way Patrick! Lee.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

bobby3dog
Akahai

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  11:41:29 AM  Show Profile
patrick,
thank you, thank you; count me in for the advanced slack key with dennis.

b3d (aka: allan)

b3d
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2004 :  4:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Pat, give me a call... might have a nice space for you thats big enough to hold the event.

Steven
Go to Top of Page

RayzCane
Aloha

8 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  11:34:47 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hwnslacker

I'm thinking of producing ukulele, slack key, song writing workshop that will last from 2-3 days.

I need feedback! What do you think, is there interest, this can also make it to other cities in the future! My goal is to get everyone together and to renew contacts and make new ones. Let me know!

Aloha!
Patrick Landeza

Sounds great! I "discovered" slack key via your article in the Acoustic Guitar magazine. I'm in Sacramento, CA. Please keep me
posted.

Ray Langley
Go to Top of Page

Lele Boy
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  03:50:27 AM  Show Profile
Hey Pat,
We need to talk about this....This sounds like a great idea.

Aloha
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  10:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Aloha All!

Sorry haven't posted, been out wtih Cyril (Pahinui)..had some good shows!
Mahalo for all of your input, still searching for venue and other "extracurricular" activities we can do beyond workshops. I should lock things in by next week and will keep you all posted!

Aloha
Patrick
www.patricklandeza.com
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  06:06:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Aloha Gang!

Date is set for Aug 21 and 22, venue is secured for workshops and concert! I will post next week with full info and give taropatchers a head start to register! Mahalo for all your input, it really helped! Here is the info I will share with you now:

Bay Area Hawaiian Music Institute
Place: Little Fox, Redwood City CA
Date: Aug 21-22 (concert at Little Fox Sunday evening and open mic/social/jam event at (the new) Hukilau Palo Alto on Saturday evening)

The Instructors will be:
Dennis Kamakahi....Song writing, inter/adv slack key
Cyril Pahinui......Advanced Masters Slack Key Class in C Major
Myself.............Beginning Slack Key
Herb Ohta Jr.......Inter/Advance ukulele
David Kamakahi.....beginning ukulele

Will post FULL information next week and will begin full campaign to general public 10 days after, classes are limited to 15 people except songwriting class which can hold 20. I do expect classes to fill quikly once I release to general public. Again mahalo for you input and if any of you have any questions please feel free to email me!!!

Aloha!

Patrick
www.patricklandeza.com
Go to Top of Page

enr1co
Aloha

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  3:04:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hwnslacker

Aloha Gang!

The Instructors will be:
Dennis Kamakahi....Song writing, inter/adv slack key
Cyril Pahinui......Advanced Masters Slack Key Class in C Major
Myself.............Beginning Slack Key
Herb Ohta Jr.......Inter/Advance ukulele
David Kamakahi.....beginning ukulele

Sounds like a super program!

If uncertain of ones proficiency level for which class to join into,
would you have any recommended, general prerequisites for each
the class levels?

Looking foward to signing up in one of the groups

Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2004 :  9:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Thanks for the last post. Having never been to a workshop, camp, or formal instruction, the question of what proficiency level one is at is an important one for me since I seem to be in-between beginner and intermediate. So which one does a person choose and what do they need to know before signing up at the different levels?

Maggie

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  11:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi maggie!
quote:
... I seem to be in-between beginner and intermediate. So which one does a person choose and what do they need to know before signing up at the different levels?
i don't know what braddah patrick is planning (except that i'm sure it's going to be something good!) but i can try to answer this question in a general sense.

there's no agreed-upon definition of what skills constitute a "beginner", "intermediate" and "advanced". if you sit in on the first five minutes of the class, you'll have a good idea of whether the class will be going too fast for you or not.

you might take a look at patrick's DVD to get an idea of what he might cover in an introductory class. it's a great instructional video to have.

for me, the biggest danger of such workshops is trying to learn too much. if i come away feeling that i learned one thing solidly, then i consider myself having succeeded.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  3:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Excellent Keith! You are right..also I can help those that are decerning, determine which class would be right for them. It actually wouldn't hurt to take a beginning class and intermediate/advance if you are somewhere in between. The review of the beginning class and the challenge of the intermediate class may be what each of us need to satisfy our "slack key fix!" This is an opportunity to learn from the masters in our community here.

I will be posting full information tomorrow, if anyone has any questions please feel free to email me!! Once again I have limited space so please register early!

Aloha!

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com

Edited by - hwnslacker on 07/07/2004 3:26:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  3:28:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Eh Keith!

Thanks for your reply! I do have both Patrick's and Keoki's DVD's and have been working on mastering many of the beginning techniques they include in them. They are both great instructional references!I also appreciate your advice about wanting to learn too much in one session or workshop. Yes, mastering one thing at a time is a valuable lesson for any student! Thanks for the reminder!

Mahalo,
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  3:36:37 PM  Show Profile
LAWRENCE! NOTHING BEATS FLYING ALL THE WAY TO HAWAI'I!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  3:56:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
LAWRENCE! NOTHING BEATS FLYING ALL THE WAY TO HAWAI'I!!!!!!!!!
you could do it like my ipo susie did this year - she flew to hawai`i, then left before AMC to go to a business trip in japan. at narita it was discovered that she had grabbed the expired passport and so was sent back to honolulu on the next flight out. once back in hawai`i, she decided to declare the week a wash and, rather than flying back to work, she came on over to moloka`i (with mark's kind permission). so, rather than sitting in business meetings, she took ukulele lessons and helped auntie nona make ti leaf skirts for the moloka`i hula dancers. maika`i no!

aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000